snafu on Wed, 3 Nov 1999 17:13:00 +0100 (CET)

<nettime> Shops are Clones Re: olia lialina: Re:art.hacktivism

dear Olia,

i don't know if you are on this list, but i really don't understand this

> > OL: Are you really familiar with net art or net in general? if yes you
> > should know that copying is not a big deal. You can make hundreds of
> > Art.Teleportacia galleries, but next day they will be only hundreds of
> > outdated pages with not actual information and broken links, because I
> > will update only http://art.teleportacia.org .. The same with all on line
> > art and not art works. What is done on the net is not a book or cd or tape
> > kind of product. It is not complete, not frosen, but can be changed every
> > moment. And this moment is a difference between copies and originals.

in another interview that you gave, you were affirming that what makes the
difference between the original and the copy on the net is given by the
domain:  an original net artwork would be recognizable, according to you,
from the name of the server on which the project was uploaded for the
first time.

Next time we will hear you saying that the originality of the net is based
on interactivity so that all the origninal artworks are the ones based on
streaming and real time interaction...

i don't understand why you are so obsessed in defending this concept, that
after all, exist only since the advent of borghesy, but it was unknown to
the Romans for istance, for which a copy was identical to the original...

originality is the concept on the base of which has been possible over the
last 200 years steal and extrapolate artworks from their native context to
transfer them in the western museum and galleries: the genius of the
creator is always there, trapped in the artwork... you buy the artwork,
you get a piece of geniality, right?

after all, why the universities continue to teach hystory of art -- that
has been almost entirely revolutionary over the last century?

beacuse they need critics that are able to draw a line between original
and fake, real art and unsellable trash...  they need critics that
establish, directly or inderectly, a prize for a form of commodity that
has always been difficult to categorize and, therefore, to quantify...

if these are the premises, i think that we have to find the potential
differences that the net introduce, in the production of communication and
art... we have to

go for a non mimetic process and to push on mutation, not to reintroduce
from the window what we could trash from the main door.

plagiarism don't aim necessary to destruction, but it shows how it's easy
to replicate... great plagiarist always had to learn the techniques of the
masters before replicating them at an accetable level... now we can
replicate complex system in few minutes, just using a software...

it means that the machines and the codes had accumulated such a quantity
of human kwnoledge that, sharing it, we can progress much faster on a
collective level than we did in the past... any time that i look at the
source code of an html page i learn something that i could never get from
a manual...and copy and paste it, it's the easiest way to understand how
it works for my pourposes...

but we have to fight to keep this openess, and not to continue to defend
the same old impossible castles...

there's nothing wrong if you get paid to make art, but this is not the
best way to do it...

allthebest

snafu