melinda rackham on Thu, 4 Nov 1999 19:02:27 +0100 (CET)

Re: <nettime> the res publica

-vote [no] said the banner on the macromedia site when i was downloading a
new version of flash player this morning. useally my eyes glaze over when
i see banner adds, i have this well honed internal filtering system that
erases them from my vision.  but -vote [no] just kept flashing at me . i
sat in horror contemplating my regional political situation being flogged
subliminally like a free email service or offshore domain registration.
......something ethical twisted in my stomach.

a free booklet arrived under the front door from the electrol office.  "
if you dont know -vote [no] " said the literature.  it also had the a few
slogans and some concise political arguements for both -vote [ yes] and
-vote [ no], but hey, im a highly educated person who works in media and i
often just notice the effect.  and the layout said -vote [ no]
......it started to seem like perhaps i could consider the options

i tried to relax with a bit of trash television, but gough whitlam and
malcolm frazer where there, the traditional arch enemies and alternately
the most loved and hated men of australian political history appearing
together, urging me to -vote [ yes ] . nice old white wealthy privlidged
blokes, good they have kissed and made up.  then "ordinary australians"
appeared on another tv.add urging me to -vote [no] cause "if it ain't
broke, dont fix it" and at the same time urging me to -vote [no] if i want
to "vote for a president".  great double messaging - even i am confused at
what they were actually saying...  .....ohhh "but if it aint broke..."

its doubful that new levels of open communication have occurred in
australia around the republic issue, perhaps a lot more people have been
involved in having a say at forums, but ultimatly the media campaigns
which play on the base human emotions, especially confusion, fear and
guilt, decide which side of any issue wins.  as a political consumer ive
found the -vote [no] campaign the emotional winner, regardless of my
political affiliations.

i think its important to remember that australia is currently a repressive
rightwing society, where our legislation reflects that the majority
believe internet content regulation is a morally sound idea; 10%
additional tax will give people more disposable income; and the poor
really shouldn't have decent health care or access to university
educations.

personally i will vote [ yes] for a republic, because something
desparately needs to change here, but like ken im also punting on a [ no]
win.

ultimately thats a [ no] win/ [ no] win situation for australia.

melinda rackham

	   -[ carrier ]-
	  now swarming
      http://www.subtle.net/carrier