Josephine Berry on Fri, 5 Nov 1999 19:56:16 +0100 (CET)

<nettime> Chechnya

I do not want to degrade the seriousness of what is happening in Chechnya
by using it as a stick to prod nettimers with, but isn't the silence on
this matter a bit eerie? Especially in view of the posting frenzy that
accompanied the Kosovo war. If discussions there often pivoted on the
question of whether intervention in Kosovo were and indeed should be
motivated by interest or disinterest on the part of NATO then the silence
on nettime with regard to, for example, the current war in Chechnya proves
just how interesed those discussions around Kosovo were. How many
nettimers are located in or near to Chechnya? How many have friends or
relatives there? One can only assume it is very few.

This is somehow a question about what kind of political forum nettime is.
It seems as though we stand to lose something if our mutual 'interests' -
which insidiously influence the agendas which are and are not discussed
here - remain shrouded in silence. If this really is a
Euro-American-centric mailing list then do we stand to lose something by
making claims to a globalism of interest that just doesn't pan out in
actual debate?

///Josephine Berry\\\

\\\initialising history...loading favourites///

-^- www.yourserver.co.uk/crashmedia -^-
->- www.metamute.com -<-