nettime_announcer on Sun, 14 Nov 1999 13:35:19 +0100 (CET)

<nettime> announcer 99.46 [b]

                                                                   - - - - - - -
                                                                   | 9 9 . 4 6 |
                                                                   - - - - - - -

                                                   <nettime> announcer   |  a
                                                                         |  b <<
 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - |  c

                                                                         - - - -
               Natalie Bookchin <bookchin@calarts.edu> : <net.net.net>   | 0 9 |
                                                                         - - - -
    ME <artactivism@gn.apc.org> : spoof sex site - hardcorehotel.co.uk   | 1 0 |
                                                                         - - - -
                  Dooley Le Cappellaine <dooley@thing.net> : cyber-art   | 1 1 |
                                                                         - - - -
            Steve Goodman <Steve@tmg.co.uk> : ICG - Is Dayton Failing?   | 1 2 |
                                                                         - - - -
        Steve Goodman <Steve@tmg.co.uk> : Kosovo - Who's Killing Whom?   | 1 3 |
                                                                         - - - -
    Phil Agre <pagre@alpha.oac.ucla.edu> : Shaping the Network Society   | 1 4 |
                                                                         - - - -
         Shu Lea Cheang <shulea@earthlink.net> : BRANDON/Virtual Court   | 1 5 |
                                                                         - - - -
                       busy staff <busy@hgb-leipzig.de> : verybusy.org   | 1 6 |
                                                                         - - - -
               Stefano Giovanazzi <stefano.giovanazzi@acd.it> : ONDINE   | 1 7 |
                                                                         - - - -
       YitMunKhwan <wowee@singnet.com.sg> : 2DP at drool2k@hotmail.com   | 1 8 |
                                                                         - - - -

 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - |

                                delivered each weekend into your inbox   |

                                        mailto:nettime-l@bbs.thing.net   |

                                                                         - - - -
 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - | 0 9 |
                                                                         - - - -

<net.net.net>
California Institute of the Arts at The Museum of Contemporary Art in Los
Angeles presents Steve Kurtz from Critical Art Ensemble on Saturday
November 13 at 8:00 PM.

The presentation "Recombinant Theater and Digital Resistance" is free to
the public and will be in the MOCA Ahmanson Auditorium. At 10 pm, there
will be a <net.net.net> opening night reception at MOCA.

Critical Art Ensemble is a collective of five tactical media artists of
various specializations including computer art, film/video, photography,
text art, books, and performance. Formed in 1987, CAE's focus has been on
the exploration of the intersections between art, critical theory,
technology, and political activism. Their books include "Flesh Machine:
Cyborgs, Designer Babies and New Eugenic Consciousness," "Electronic Civil
Disobedience and Other Unpopular Ideas" and "The Electronic Disturbance"
all published by Autonomedia/Semiotext(e), New York.

<net.net.net> is a lecture series featuring net artists, net activists and
net collectives from around the world. The series, which continues through
May 2000, brings together for the first time in the United States artists
and activists known throughout the world for their low tech and
interventionist strategies of experimental and radical cultural production,
collaboration, and critique on and off the Internet.

The series is a collaborative effort between the Cal Arts Programs in
Photography in the School of Art and Integrated Media at MOCA.

<net.net.net> participants and schedule:
11/13    Critical Art Ensemble (USA)
        http://www.critical-art.net
        A collective of five artists of various specializations dedicated to
        exploring the intersections between art,technology, radical politics,
        and critical theory.

12/8    Alexei Shulgin (Russia)
        http://easylife.org
        Moscow based artist, musician and curator. Founder of the 386DX

        Cyberpunk Rock Band.

12/9    Alexei Shulgin will perform with his 386DX Cyberpunk band at CalArts.

1/26    Jenny Marketou (Greece/USA)
        http://smellbytes.banff.org
        An artist living in New York and working with telepresence environment
        and networking technologies.

2/9     Geert Lovink (Holland)
        http://thing.desk.nl/bilwet
        Media theorist and activist, member of Adilkno, Foundation for the
        Advancement of Illegal Knowledge, former editor of Mediamatic, and
        organizer of numerous European based media events and conferences.

2/23    Mongrel (Jamaica/England)
        http://www.mongrel.org.uk
        London based artists group exploring issues of race, technology and
        new-eugenics.

3/8     RTMark (USA)
        http://rtmark.com
        RTMark helps fund the sabotage of corporate products and strategies
        and offers investors the highest cultural dividends available on the
        market today.

3/22    Vuk Cosic (Slovenia/Yugoslavia)
        http://www.vuk.org
        Slovenian based pioneer in the field of net.art.

4/12    Olia Lialina (Russia/Germany)
        http://will.teleportacia.org/
        Moscow born net artist, curator and writer.

4/26    Rachel Baker & Heath Bunting (England)
        http://irational.org
        London based internet artists and founding members of irational.org,
        an art server widely known for its blend of net art, net
engineering and
        activism.

5/10    Matthew Fuller/IOD (England)
        http://www.backspace.org/iod
        London based artist, write and member of the IOD art and design
        collective.

For further information please call  661-255-1050 x2339  or send email to
bookchin@calarts.edu

The event is free and open to the public.
http://calarts.edu/~ntntnt

</net.net.net>

                                                                         - - - -
 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - | 1 0 |
                                                                         - - - -

Camerawork gallery - 121 Roman Rd, Bethal Green, London E2 0QN
Private View and web launch- WEds 10th Nov 7-9pm
Artists talk - Dec 4th - 2pm
Exhibition opening times - Thursday - Saturday 1-6pm

>INTERNET SEX SITE OFFERS HELP TO COMPULSIVE PORN USERS
>www.hardcore hotel.co.uk
>
>Everyday, all over the world millions of seemingly normal men spend hours
>in front of their computers, logged onto hardcore porn sites.  Far
>surpassing any other form of net usage, on line porn is big business with
>more money spent in America on pornography than on Coca-Cola.  The
>accessibility of so much imagery that previously was only available in
>shrink wrapped plastic has generated much controversy.   However amidst all
>the debates about censorship, the protection of minors and representation
>of women one voice has remains oddly silent, those of men themselves.
>
>Why have we heard so little about why men consume pornography in the first
>place ? What goes through men's minds as they use pornography ? What does
>the consumption of pornography tell us about how men feel about themselves?
>After all it is men who produce it, market it, buy it and ultimately
>masturbate to it.
>
>The HARDCORE HOTEL web site is the final part of "Consuming Desire" a
>project by artist/activist John Jordan which has explored men's complex
>relationship to pornography.  The project has used a multiplicity of
>mediums to unravel this secret and taboo facade of masculinity including;
>hoaxes (Guilty Pleasures sex shop -Nottingham, 1992 ), mass media
>interventions ( Good morning with Richard and Judy, ITV 1995 / The Esther
>Show BBC2 1995), performance and video installations (Odense Kunst Halle,
>Denmark 1993 -  Institute of Contemporary Arts, London 1995), and therapy
>groups (the founding of the "Men & Porn Group" 1994 in collaboration with
>writer Peter Baker and therapist Marc Pigeon, to work
>with compulsive pornography users).
>
>The Hardcore Hotel Web site is designed and marketed to look and feel like
>a sex site, but once inside the xxx live streaming galleries are in fact
>filled with video interviews of men, who candidly describe their
>experiences of pornography and the effects it has had on their lives and
>sexualities.  Other aspects of the site include information and exercises
>to help compulsive porn users.
>
>To mark the launch of the site, Camerawork gallery is hosting a special
>exhibition, which for the first time brings together all the documentation
>of the  "Consuming Desire" project.

"There are no limits to creativity . There is no end to subversion."
Raoul Vaneigem - The Revolution of Everyday Life.

                                                                         - - - -
 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - | 1 1 |
                                                                         - - - -

Technophobia CD Rom is now available at:
http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?MfcISAPICommand=ViewItem&item=196623562

http://www.thing.net/dooley
Phone and Fax (212) 966-3046

                                                                         - - - -
 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - | 1 2 |
                                                                         - - - -

ICG has released its latest report on Bosnia, in anticipation of the
fourth anniversary of the Dayton Peace Agreement on 21 November 1999. In
"Is Dayton Failing?" (November 3), ICG presents a hard-hitting analysis
of the Dayton Peace Agreement and the future of the Bosnian peace
process. The report examines the agreement annex by annex - highlighting
areas of success and failure, identifying obstacles to continued
progress and setting out the tough choices confronting international
policymakers in Bosnia today.

www.crisisweb.org

-------------------------------------
CrisisWeb  - http://www.crisisweb.org
-------------------------------------

                                                                         - - - -
 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - | 1 3 |
                                                                         - - - -

The latest ICG report from Kosovo, Kosovo: Who's Killing Whom? (2nd
November) provides a survey of the rapid escalation of crime and
violence in Kosovo's ethnic melting pot. The analysis focuses
particularly on the role of key paramilitary factions threatening
Kosovo's internal security. Indeed, the still turbulent relation between
the KLA, non-Albanian ethnic minorities, Serbian paramilitaries,
Albanian criminals and the political rivals of the KLA such as the LDK
are all seen to contribute to the current security crisis faced by the
recently formed multiethnic civilian protection force, the KPC.

http://www.crisisweb.org/

-------------------------------------
CrisisWeb  - http://www.crisisweb.org
-------------------------------------

                                                                         - - - -
 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - | 1 4 |
                                                                         - - - -

This message was forwarded through the Red Rock Eater News Service (RRE).
Send any replies to the original author, listed in the From: field below.
You are welcome to send the message along to others but please do not use
the "redirect" command.  For information on RRE, including instructions
for (un)subscribing, see http://dlis.gseis.ucla.edu/people/pagre/rre.html
or send a message to requests@lists.gseis.ucla.edu with Subject: info rre

Date: Mon, 8 Nov 1999 17:17:30 -0800 (PST)
From: Doug Schuler <douglas@scn.org>

[...]

Please distribute widely to interested people and lists -- thanks!

                     Shaping the Network Society

            The Future of the Public Sphere in Cyberspace

                               DIAC-00

 A Directions and Implications of Advanced Computing (DIAC) Symposium

    Sponsored by Computer Professionals for Social Responsibility

                  First Call for Abstracts / Papers

                        May 20 - May 23, 2000

                       Seattle, Washington, USA

   Cyberspace may become the dominant medium through which people
   create and share information and ideas.  How their conversations
   about the environment, culture, leisure, and political decisions,
   are conducted and how they are resolved are likely to have
   major social implications in the future.  What directions and
   implications does cyberspace foretell for community, democracy,
   education and culture?  Addressing those questions may be among the
   most urgent tasks facing humankind today.

   The objective of DIAC-00 is to integrate many perspectives,
   conversations, and people from around the world on the topic
   of public space in cyberspace: What is it?  What should it be?
   What would we do with it?  What can we do about it?

   While DIAC-00 will present "best practices" and other lessons
   learned "from the field" there is an urgent need for theoretical
   work (or "condensed practice") as well.  For that reason, DIAC-00
   is strongly encouraging reflective work on strategic and policy
   levels.  There is enormous energy found at the grassroots level
   and it is growing.  The big problem today is framing the idea of
   public space in cyberspace in a way that engages intellectuals,
   decision-makers, artists, and citizens.  This can only be done
   by combining "best practice" stories with strong provocative
   conceptualizations of what is happening in our world and how
   public cyberspace can play a role.  We need theories, concepts
   that can help us discuss, reflect, and take action on these critical
   matters.  As an integral part of the DIAC-00 conference social
   scientists, engineers, computer scientists, artists, journalists,
   and other members of the research community will contribute their
   thinking on these pressing issues:

     * Community Informatics
     * Civic Knowledge, Civic Infrastructure
     * New Tools, Applications, Services, and Institutions
     * Theoretical Frameworks
     * Methodological Frameworks
     * Critical Theory
     * Social Economy of the Internet
     * Computers, Work, and Cyberspace
     * New -- and Retooled -- Media
     * Participatory and Community-Centered Design
     * Community Initiatives
     * Public Access and Community Networks
     * Practitioner and Researcher Co-Learning
     * Bridging the Digital Divide
     * Cyberspace Policy -- Social Policy -- Cultural Policy
     * Computer-Supported Community Work
     * Localism and Globalism
     * International Perspectives and Partnerships
     * Social Movements and Collaborations

   DIAC-00 will be a multifaceted event.  This call for abstracts
   / papers addresses the research or academic component of the
   symposium.  There are other opportunities for participation within
   this framework.  The guidelines for workshop proposals will be
   released soon.

   DIAC-00 will be the seventh symposium sponsored by Computer
   Professionals for Social Responsibility in the "Directions and
   Implications of Advanced Computing" series.  DIAC-00 is intended to
   broaden the discussion and awareness about the future of cyberspace
   both in terms of topics and in terms of participation.  It is also
   our intent to provide visibility to topics and perspectives that
   are often neglected by the media.

   Each extended abstract should contain a description and outline of
   the work, supporting evidence and data, and references.  Abstracts
   and papers should be written in English.  All extended abstracts
   should be submitted (in plain text only!) electronically to Peter
   Day (p.day@btinternet.com).  Abstracts should be fewer than 2,000
   words.  Authors should remember that they will be addressing
   non-academics as well as academics at this conference and avoid
   jargon whenever possible.  Citations should follow the Harvard
   Citation guidelines.

   Academic Program Committee: Phil Agre (US), Amy Bruckman (US),
   Natasha Bulashova (Russia), Steve Cisler (US), Greg Cole (US),
   Peter Day (co-chair; UK), Fiorella de Cindio (Italy), Susana
   Finquelievich (Argentina), Michael Gurstein (Canada), Toru Ishida
   (Japan), Peter Mambrey (Germany), Kate ODubhchair (UK), Volkmar
   Pipek (Germany), Jenny Preece (US), Lodis Rhodes (US), Douglas
   Schuler (co-chair; US), Lisa Servon (US), Erik Stolterman (Sweden),
   Peter van den Besselaar (Netherlands), Murali Venkatesh (US), Ken
   Young (Australia).

   Important Dates: February 15, 2000 extended abstracts due; March
   15, 2000 feedback given to authors; May 1, 2000 revised abstracts
   due.  May 20 - May 23, 2000 DIAC-00.  The final papers, ready
   for book / journal, will be due sometime in summer 2000.  We
   are planning to publish all submitted abstracts on our web site.
   We are planning to publish accepted papers in a book or journal.
   The academic program will be thoroughly integrated with the rest
   of DIAC-00.

   We are pleased to be a member of the Global 2000 Virtual Community
   Coalition.  The Global 2000 Virtual Community Coalition is a
   loosely affiliated group of people, organizations, and events all
   over the world who are working together in the year 2000 to help
   promote democratic use of communication technology and discourage
   social exclusion due to inequitable access to communication.

   DIAC-00 is sponsored by Computer Professionals for Social
   Responsibility and co-sponsored by Friends and Partners.  Please
   contact us if your organization would like to become a co-sponsor
   or endorser.  We'd like to thank the Morino Foundation for their
   support.

   For more information about the symposium, please see the web site
   (http://www.scn.org/cpsr/diac-00) or contact conference organizer
   Doug Schuler, douglas@cpsr.org, 206.634.0752.

                                                                         - - - -
 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - | 1 5 |
                                                                         - - - -

CALL FOR NET SPECTATORS

BRANDON/Would the Jurors Please Stand Up?  November 17-20, 1999
http://brandon.guggenheim.org

Society for Old and New Media in association with the Guggenheim Museum
invite you
as net spectators in "ONLINE VIRTUAL COURT: An Experiment on Joint Decision
Making and Conflict Resolution on the Net." On trial are cases of sexual
assaults that blur the distinctions between male/female gender and
actual/virtual space.  Jurors have been selected and will commit themselves
for online one hour trial session. You, as spectators, are invited to
witness court in session online. In Amsterdam, you can also join us at
Theatrum Anatomicum installation at DeWaag, Nieuwmarkt.
<http://brandon.guggenheim.org/credits/interface/TA>
Sessions are held daily (November 17-20)
at 11am, 3pm, 7pm, 9pm (CEST, Amsterdam time)

BRANDON, a Guggenheim Virtual Museum project.
Shu Lea Cheang/concept/direction

BRANDON>>>CALL FOR JURORS>>> SUBMIT.COMMIT.SIGN ON.
http://brandon.guggenheim.org

                                                                         - - - -
 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - | 1 6 |
                                                                         - - - -

            __
busy.   \ /
            / \   www.verybusy.org
            =AF=AF
|||||  |||  |  |

--=====================_19224766==_.ALT

<i>verybusy.org / mediaart archivist and center for hardwired arts<br>
MEDIAART SERVER<br>
1. ENGLISH<br>
2. DEUTSCH<br>
<b>1.<br>
</b>BUSY</i> was founded in early 1998 under Coordination of Joachim
Blank, and was concepted as Fachklassen Server of mediaart department on
the academy for visual arts only. Stephan Schroeder, Netartist and
Programmer of earlier <i>BUSY</i> Version has taken over that server, in
order to initiate a platform for international mediaart which starts with
111 Projects. <i>BUSY</i> is not only another netart searchengine, but
also provides communication channels&nbsp; for mediatheoretic, philosophy
and mediaarthistoric publications, discusssion in the context of modern
media, documentations, videoart, electronic music and much more.<br>
<i>BUSY </i>is from and for all, that work in the context of mediaart and
electronic culture and is feet its content by the connected work and
information of the net community. To ensure quality content busy is
maintained by humans and not robots like other metasearchengines=20
do.<br>
Thanks you for your interess and support.<br>
</b>BUSY</i> wurde Anfang 1998 unter der Koordination von Joachim Blank,
von Studenten der Hochschule f=FCr Grafik und Buchkunst, ehemals als
Fachklassen-Server des Fachbereichs Medienkunst konzipiert. Stephan
Schr=F6der, Netzk=FCnstler und Programmierer vorrangegangerner <i>BUSY</i>
Editionen, hat sich der kompletten Neuprogrammierung des Servers
angenommen und m=F6chte den Weg einer eigenst=E4ndigen Plattform f=FCr
internationale Medienkunst mit <i>BUSY</i> beschreiten, die dato 111
Projekte listet.&nbsp; <i>BUSY</i> versteht sich nicht nur als homogene
Netart Suchmaschine, sondern bietet Kommunikationskan=E4le f=FCr
medientheoretische, philosophische und kunsthistorische Publikationen,
Diskussionen die im Kontext der 'Neuen Medien' stehen, Videoart,
elektronische Musik und vieles mehr, was durch das modulare Konzept der
neuen Datenbank erreicht wird. Somit bietet dieser neue Server
'Andockm=F6glichkeiten' f=FCr jewelche Arbeiten / Dokumentationen /
Publikationen aller Datenformen, so sie nur im Netz verf=FCgbar sind.<br>
<i>BUSY</i> ist von allen und f=FCr alle, die sich dem k=FCnstlerischen
Einsatz moderner Medien - der elektronischen Kultur, verschrieben haben,
wird daher v=F6llig autonom erweitert und speisst seinen Inhalt aus dem
vernetzten Arbeiten und Informationen der Net Community. Um qualitativ
hochwertigen Inhalt bieten zu k=F6nnen geht <i>BUSY</i> den Weg eines
redaktionell betreuten Servers, nicht den einer universellen (META)
Suchmaschine, was sich in einer best=E4ndige Kontrolle des Content
manifestiert.<br>
Vielen Dank f=FCr Ihre Aufmerksamkeit und Unterst=FCtzung.<br>
Stephan ( spiv ) Schr=F6der <br>
 href=3D"http://www.verybusy.org/" eudora=3D"autourl">.verybusy.org</a><br>
busy@hgb-leipzig.de<br>
__</div>
\&nbsp;&nbsp;
 EUDORA=3DAUTOURL>www.verybusy.org</a></div>
=AF=AF</div>
arts |||||&nbsp; |||&nbsp; |&nbsp; |</div>

--=====================_19224766==_.ALT--

                                                                         - - - -
 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - | 1 7 |
                                                                         - - - -

SENZATITOLO EVENTI AZIONI ESPOSIZIONI Rovereto-Trento Festival (Italy)

"Ondine" 12 November -19 December 1999
   Festival of contemporary electronic and instrumental music in world
premiere
   Festival hedendaagse elektronische en instrumentale muziek in
wereldpremiere
   Musique internationale electronique et instrumentale en première
exécution
   Elektronische und instrumentalische Musikschau unbedingt erste
Ausfürhung
   Musica in prima esecuzione assoluta
Rassegna, seminari e installazioni di musica contemporanea elettronica e
strumentale

Ondine is ready working.
We are ready

http://www.webexpo.it/acd/index.html

Send sound tracks to the adress we indicate below:
if you want to take part to the next edition of "Ondine",
or if you want to give your contribute to the film project
"In those places near the beach" by Arienti - Tortarolo.

.    .    .    .    .    .    .    .    .    .    .    .    .    .
.    .    .    .    .    .    .    .    .

Ondine si sta muovendo
Siamo in ascolto

invia documenti sonori all'indirizzo indicato:
se vuoi collaborare al progetto di film "Da quelle parti vicino alla
spiaggia"
di Stefano Arienti e Alessandra Tortarolo;
se voui partecipare alla prossima edizione di "Ondine"

Numero Civico Production
via Vittorio Veneto 5
38068 Rovereto TN (Italy)
stefano.giovanazzi@acd.it
evelina.tigliz@acd.it

                                                                         - - - -
 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - | 1 8 |
                                                                         - - - -

The Artists Village is organising 'Post-Ulu' a year end show at The
Substation. In one of the activities of this event, participating artists
will attempt to complete 2000 pieces of drawings. This is not to
commemorate the coming new millenium, but to ask ourselve what the 'new
millenium' means to us. some chose to ignore it, and some choose to
celebrate over it. In Post-Ulu, we have decided to create over it.

By drawing, what we meant here is to make visual markings, as a record and
testimonial of time, reflecting on individual's creative intention or
concern and exploring one's idea through the process of drawing. After the
completion of the last of the 2000 Drawings, they will be compiled as a
collective effort from many individuals and will be shown in future art
exhibitions that will be organised to follow up with 'Post-Ulu'. We hope
to explore more with creative processes by embarking on ideas from the
2000 Drawings, in doing so, produce object-based and time-based works from
it.

as co-ordinator of this 2000 Drawings project, i am inviting you to join
us by taking part in 'Post-Ulu'.

We will be at The Substation's Gallery starting from 28th Dec to put the
2000 Drawings project into action. This project may take two to three
working days to be completed, so by 1st Jan 2000, the last drawing should
be completed. You may like to take part by visiting 'Post-Ulu', we will be
opened from 10am to 10pm daily in the gallery. You can come with a
finished drawing or come empty handed with the intention to create. There
will be materials provided for you or you can bring your own medium to
use.  Alternatively, if you cannot be present on either one of these days
during this project, you can send your drawings from 1st Dec to 30th Dec
1999 . please send your drawings together with your full name and contact
address to:

Attn:  Kai,
         The Artists Village, "Post-Ulu".
         The Substation
         45, Armenian Street.
         Singapore 179936
         Tel: 3377 535

or fax: (65) 244 3530
   Attn: Kai,
          The Artists Village, "Post-Ulu"

or e-mail:  drool2k@hotmail.com

There is no fixed criteria for sending your drawings, it can be of any
shapes and sizes, made with any materials, and express every intention you
want to. If you can send it, we will accept it.

One thing, all submitted drawings will be non-returnable, but we will
acknowledge your participation when exhibiting the drawing project in
future shows. Funds will be raised to document this work and send to
participants as a token for participating in this project. (so make sure
your address comes with your drawing/s).

A quote from an experienced artist who have done this before, in "The
Drawing Show" in the past during Dec 1989, "He or she may use it maybe as
a means of exploring their ideas and concepts, or a response to the visual
imagery and events around him or he may be exploring the potential
qualities of materials used for that drawing .Drawing then is an important
vehicle for recording and investigating in the artist's own visual
langauge".

in regards, kai

*programme of 'Post-Ulu' for your reference.

Post-Ulu: a year end show organised by the Artists Village at The
Substation, Singapore.

The Artists Village have been around for ten years and have always been
defined by architecture, in the sense that it was always about the
physical place where artists are able to produce works. But often we are
asked what have we got now that the physical working space of ‘The
Village’ is gone. What is our direction in terms of working as artists in
the contemporary society of Singapore? We have thus decided to collaborate
in a process work among the current members by turning The Substation’s
Gallery into a working studio for three weeks. This short time span of
dwelling place can spark off a series of action\project based work that
the public can interact with and also proceed with some more future
projects.

The title 'Post-Ulu" is a departure point from the original Artists
Village at Lorong Gambas, Jalan Ulu Sembawang in relation to the function
of the present group. Ulu in Malay definition means seclusion or an
isolated place. So as the title suggests an 'after-isolation' period, it
is vital for the present group to identify it's function as an art group.
In this show, the function of Artists Village is questioned by the
methodology of artists negotiating spaces and artists' idealogies of
functioning in Singapore's social context. It is not a comparison of
past-present, but the past is being integrated as a reference to the
current situation of the group. In ‘Post-Ulu’ we hope to define some
issues that have surfaced over the past years: what is the fuction of The
Artists Village as an art society and Contemporary art practices in
Singapore.

"Post-Ulu" will open on 28th Dec 1999 to 16th Jan 2000.

The artists involved with organising the events of "Post-Ulu" will be
Jeremy Hiah, Dennis Tan, Tien Wei Woon, Lina Adam, Green Zeng and Lam Hoi
Lit.

Dennis Tan and Lam Hoi Lit will be the spokespersons for The Artists
Village in regards to press matters.

The organisational work will be distributed among the artists and it will
cover these events:

1) Gallery turn Studio space: coordinated by Lam Hoi Lit. (pg no. 9509
4985, fax/tel: 244 3530)

Participating artists will meet constantly prior to the show to discuss
individual ideas and make possible collaborations that will be presented
in The Substation's gallery. The skeleton of the show, the gallery will be
converted to a work-in-process studio space where artists will be able to
go into this space to work constantly for a period of 3 weeks. There will
be a drawing workshop/collaboration by a few artists and the public to do
2000 pieces of drawings to anticipate the new milleinium. this drawing
collaboration will eventually develop into object-based and eventually
time-based works. The purpose of this method is not to exhibit
end-products but to create a continuation of individuals' processes with
the reminder that this show is a departure point to future projects. Among
Artists Village members there will be a collective effort to present a
collaborative video work at The Singapore Art Museum for Nokia Art 99.
This will take place for one day only.

2) Collaboration with the White Cane Society of Singapore: organised by
Green Zeng (pg no:9234 5104) and Chng Seok Tin (tel no:742 5955)

Artists and the members of the White Cane Society will collaborate in a
workshop of making paper boats. This will take place during two weekend
afternoons at the classroom and Gallery/Studio. After which the last
weekend will see the group proceed to an outdoor event where the paper
boats will be released into a river, the location of

this event will be confirmed later with more meetings with the White Cane
Society.

3) Informal dialogues\ seminar: coordinated by Dennis Tan. (Hp no. 9622
6170)

The Artist Village will be organising an informal dialogues that will take
place in the classrooms of The Substation. It will preferbly held in the
evening and kept in a small , unitimidating size. We will touch on
specific art discourse that are relevant to art practice in Singapore.
here is a list of the speakers that will be involved.

Koh Nguang How /art researcher on The Artists Village and Art Practice in
Singapore. Date :1st Jan 2000,Saturday Time :6pm-9pm

Amanda Heng/ artist and Felicia Low/ Perspective on Ten Years of The
Artists Village. Date :2nd Jan 2000,Sunday Time :6pm-9pm

Lee Weng Choy/ critic On Asia Pacific Triennal 3, 1999. Date : 5th Jan
2000, Wednesday Time : 6pm-9pm

ARX5 artists Jeremy Hiah and Jason Lim on ARX 5 1999. (videos and slides
presentation) Date : 7th Jan 2000, Friday Time : 6pm-9pm

Lee Wen/ artist on Performance Art:The Local and the Global. Date :8th Jan
2000, Saturday Time :6pm-9pm

Jay Koh/ artist on Engaged Art and Critical Art practice. Date : 9th Jan
2000, Sunday Time :6pm-9pm

the Spirits Dusting for Dummies on Festival der Geister, Berlin Date: 12th
Jan 2000, Wednesday Time:6pm-9pm

Woon Tien Wei/ artist Reflection on Danger Museum (The concept) and
Dreamplan project, Korea. Date :14th Jan 2000, Friday

Chng Ting Art and Jewellery Date :15th Jan 2000, Sunday Time :6pm-7.30pm

Lee Mei Ling Art and Fabric Date :15th Jan 2000, Sunday Time :7.30pm-9pm

4) Post-Ulu Gig: starts 6pm 31st Dec,1999 ends 6am 1st Jan, 2000
coordinated by Lina Adam (Hp no:9695 7110)

This event will take place from New Year's Eve to New Year's Day (from 6pm
to 6a.m.)

The event will cover expressions like music, poetry, time-based art, video
and slide presentations.

5) Invited artists from overseas: coordinated by Jeremy Hiah (tel/fax: 487
3239) and Tien Wei Woon

2 artists from Japan and 2 artists from Australia will be invited to take
part in this show and they will collaborate with local artists. The
organising artists will accommodate these overseas artists for the
duration of this show.

The Two Japanese artists are: Shimizu Miho and Iduka Yousuke. One
Australian artist is Ben Taylor.

The exhibiting artists involved will be: Rainer Geburzyk, Alan Oei, Ida
Lee Mei Ling, Jeremy Hiah Buang Hoe, Lina Adam Lam Hoi Lit, Koh Nguang
How, Lee Wen, Terence Yong, Dominic Fenandez, Chua Chye Teck, Lee Mei
Ling, Green Zeng, Tan Boon Wee, Yit Mun Khwan, Josef Ng, Tien Wei Woon,

Dominique Hui, Chng Seok Tin, Foo Ai Wei, Miho Shimizu, Ben Taylor, Iduka
Yousuke,

Irene Wong and Benjamin Puah.