robert adrian on Sun, 21 Nov 1999 19:56:09 +0100 (CET)

Re: <nettime> Re: olia lialina: Re:art.hacktivism

The problem is that a few years ago someone (can't remember
who) coined the catchy name net.art - it was the little dot that
did it and the name has been with us ever since. But what was
really meant was web art - or "web.art" if you like - which Florian
would prefer to rename as "browser art" (no dot). Web Art is stuff
that relies on the WWW for distribution and has existed only since
the introduction of the first reliable graphic-capable browsers.
Net Art is a bit broader and existed in one form or other long
before the WWW ... and while the internet was still little more
than a gleam in the eye of a few U.S. academics.

Net Art, Network Art, Telecommunications Art, Telematic Art - or
whatever - is about artists working within the electronic space of
communication networks. Prior to the (more or less) universal
availability of the internet this usually meant the telephone network.
Communication itself was the main content of most of this work -
a visible product (art-commodity) was never a serious consideration.

So its not really a matter of "viewing" a net.work, its a matter of
experiencing it in the context of the network ... in the knowledge
that you are experiencing a version - dependant on your browser,
bandwidth, CPU, monitor resolution etc. - of a work for the internet.
The artist can't control any of these factors so that every viewing
is a new experience - unless you materialise the work as a recording
captured on your hard drive or CD burner - and even then its just
YOUR version.

The exciting - and frustrating - thing about working or viewing on
the web is that you can't control the final appearance of the work.
(In fact there is NO final version of the work.) Thats been a part of
net.working since the beginning - and its the revolutionary aspect.

Lots of artists and all museums don't like the loss of control ... so
there's still painting!

The problems being encountered by collectors and museums - and
artists who wish to profit from the traditional marketing strategies
of the past - is that network art is transient and freely accessible
to all. What is missing is tha aura of the original