Stefan Wray on Wed, 24 Nov 1999 17:23:55 +0100 (CET)

Re: <nettime> e-LITISM (UK and beyond)

Recent reports have stated that in the United States now, over half of the
adult population uses the Internet. I'm not sure if these reports are true
or where they are from. I believe it was a CNN report.

I suppose I'm wondering at what point of diffusion is a technology no
longer elite. At one point only a few people had radios, now they are
widespread. Same is true with television. I doubt anyone would argue today
that only an elite group has access to TV. VCR ownership is above 80
percent I believe. Nearly every household has a telephone.

If its true that over half of adults in the U.S. have Internet access,
then are those people in an elite group?

	OBSERVATIONS ON e-LITISM