Newmedia on Wed, 1 Dec 1999 03:17:06 +0100 (CET)

Re: <nettime> The Matrix: Keanu lost in Plato's Cave

McKensie:

I like the way that you conflate "humanism" (of the neo-Platonist, Florentine
sort) with what most people would call the "enlightenment" (of the
Newtonian/Comentian sort).  McLuhan's "Gutenberg Galaxy" is a good place to
ground oneself in this common cause.

While there are various forms of "magicians" operating in these waters, in
particular North/South and East/West forms, and despite the fact that many
developments of the past 400+ years (particularly in warfare, right up
through psychological warfare) are a result of conflicts between these
"magicians", you are undoutedly correct to put all the "magicians" in the
same leaky boat.

I am however curious as to why you propose, "The options are to go back to
theology, or to try and invent a new way of thinking . . ."?

Why not do both?

In particular, I would suggest that the critical role played by "formal
causality" in theology points towards some fruitful avenues for "a new way of
thinking."  Don't you think?

If we recall that "form" is "structure", then isn't it our task to understand
the "structures of experience"?  Particularly, if we are aiming to invent a
"new" one?

Best,

Mark Stahlman

P.S.  The incorporation of these matters, particularly ones discussed on
nettime and environs, into "popular culture" is clearly accelerating.  I
would draw your attention to yesterday's NYTimes (Sunday, 28 Nov. 99) lead
Op-Ed, Kurt Andersen's "The Next Big Dialectic: Cyber-captialism will ignite
a new class struggle.  A new Marx is sure to follow."  Any suggestions as to
whom that Marx might be?  Could it be McLuhan?  Maybe Richard Barbrook knows.
<g>

P.P.S.  I have a copy of the script for "The Matrix" if you'd like to check
Morpheus' actual words. <g>  BTW, the Greeks had multiple "gods" who ruled
over dreams.  Morpheus was the one who gave us dreams of "humans."