nettime's_digestive_system on Sat, 4 Dec 1999 16:14:18 +0100 (CET)

<nettime> Matrix digest [wark, anticopyright]

McKenzie Wark
       Re: The Matrix: Theorized but Unseen
anticopyright@britannica.com
       two sides of context

Date: Sat, 4 Dec 1999 21:15:10 +1100 (EST)
From: McKenzie Wark <mwark@laurel.ocs.mq.edu.au>
Subject: Re: <nettime> The Matrix: Theorized but Unseen

Peter, this strikes me as what's wrong with criticism -- always
complaining about what's not there. Where's the pleasure in that?
Matrix is a genre film, so of course it replicates the familiar
surfaces of the genre. That's the whole point. Film fans expect
the surfaces to connect to those of previous films, all the way
back to Alien, Bladerunner, and so on.

Of course, there's added hilarity in seeing it if you know Sydney,
which both appears and doesn't appear as The Matrix itself. The
producers praised Sydney as a location because of how generic and
ordinary its CBD was, and the helicopter shots are careful to keep
the opera house and famous 'coathanger' bridge out of sight.

"We no longer have roots, we have aerials."
http://www.mcs.mq.edu.au/~mwark
 -- McKenzie Wark