Tilman Baumgaertel on Sun, 12 Dec 1999 00:36:34 +0100 (CET)

<nettime> Tilman-RFC #1: net art history 1993 - 1996

Tilman-RFC #1: net art history 1993 - 1996

Hi!

Here's the outcome of my effort to experiment with collective history
writing:  a time line for the catalogue of the "net_condition" show at the
ZKM in Karlsruhe, Germany.

One month ago I mailed out a proposal to inform me about early net art
projects. It resulted in the following list of projects and art works that
happened between 1993 and 1996. Some of them were suggested to me by email,
other came from my own - not very good - memory. After 1996, the whole
field became too big to continue to collect things in such a fashion. I was
surprised how many early projects were there, some of them I had never
heard about, and how many of them are still online.

It is in German, but it should still be understandable. I listed the works
with

month of their creation,

artist,

title,

URL

and sponsor, festival where it was first shown or the institution by which
it was commissioned etc.

For every year there's a seperate section that lists important conferences,
shows, events, the creation of art servers, context systems etc.

Any further suggestions, hints are welcome, even though my deadline is
approaching fast. If you want to add something, please do so in the format
described above. It is not a completely open process, and I will filter out
things, that I find irrelevant, but actually so far I included most of the
works that were suggested to me, because there were some really surprising
things that I didn't know about.

This whole methology obviously leaves open a lot of questions, but I think
it is interesting to put history together in such a fashion. Call it
Open-Source-History, if you will, with me as the maintainer. ;-)

I still have some errands running, but hope to finish this whole, quite
labor-intensive project next week. So speak out now, or be silent forever.

Yours,
Tilman Baumgaertel

------------SCHNAPP!----------------

1993

März 1993
Station Rose mit DJ Dag
Gunafa-Club (Hypermedia-Live-Performances in verschiedenen Clubs in
Deutschland und Österreich)
www.stationrose.com *

April 1993
David Blair
Waxweb als M-Bone-Multicast
www.waxweb.org *

Mai 1993
x-space (Gerfried Stocker, Horst Hörtner, Arnold Fuchs, Anton Maierhofer,
Wolfgang Reinisch, Jutta Schmiederer)
winke winke
gewi.kfunigraz.ac.at/~gerfried/winke

November 1993
Mark Amerika u.a.
Alt-X als Gopher-Hypertext
www.altx.com *

November 1993
David Lichy
Event Spaces 1
web.raex.com/~voyd/terrain/est1

Dezember 1993
David Blair
Waxweb als Hypertext in MOO
www.waxweb.org *

Ausstellungen, Online-Galerien, Kontextsysteme und andere
Netzkunst-Institutionen

März 1993
Online - Kunst im Netz (Konferenz)
Steirischer Herbst, Graz, Österreich
gewi..kfunigraz.ac.at/~gerfried/online/

--------

1994

Januar 1994
Andy Deck
Andyland
www.artcontext.com/andyland/old/1994/ *

März 1994
David Blair
Waxweb mit Web-Interface
www.waxweb.org *

Mai 1994
Antonio Muntadas
The File Room
simr02.si.ehu.es/FileRoom/documents/TofCont.html *
Randolph Street Gallery, Chicago

Juli 1994
Mark Amerika u.a.
Alt X „eröffnet“ mit der Ausstellung „The Floating Gallery of the Mind“
seine Präsenz im WorldWideWeb
www.altx.com *

August 1994
Alexei Shulgin: Hot Pics
redsun.cs.msu.su/wwwart/hotpics/ *

August 1994
Ken Goldberg
The Mercury Project
www.usc.edu/dept/raiders/
University of Southern California, Los Angeles

September 1994
Douglas Davis
The World's First Collaborative Sentence
math240.lehman.cuny.edu/sentence1.html
City University of New York Lehman College, New York

Oktober 1994
Paul Garrin
Fluxus-Online
www.panix.com/~fluxus
Fluxus Festival "Seoul NyMax", Anthology Film Archives, New York

November 1994
Sodomka/Breindl, x-space und Norbert Math
State of Transition
http://thing.at/orfkunstradio/1994B/10_11_94.html
ORF Kunstradio

Dezember 1994
Nina Sobell und Emily Hartzell
Park Bench
www.cat.nyu.edu/parkbench
Cemter for Advanced Technology, New York University

Dezember 1994
Brad Brace
The 12hr-ISBN-JPEG Project
www.teleport.com/~bbrace/12hr.html

Ausstellungen, Online-Galerien, Kontextsysteme und andere
Netzkunst-Institutionen

Januar 1994
Die digitale Staad Amsterdam
www.dds.nl

März 1994
t0 Public Netbase
www.t0.or.at
Bundeskuratorin für Bildende Kunst, Wien, Österreich

September 1994
Adaweb
adaweb.walker.org *
Digital City

September 1994
Susan Farell, Bret Webb u.a.
Artcrimes *
www.artcrimes.com

Oktober 1994
Minima Media
Medienbiennale Leipzig
www.v2.nl/~arns/Archiv/Media/med-94.htm (D)

Oktober 1994
Hotwired
www.hotwired.com
Wired

November 1994
Die Internationale Stadt Berlin
www.icf.de *

--------

1995

Februar 1995
Julia Sher
Securityland
adaweb.walkerart.org/project/secure/corridor/sec1.html
Adaweb

März 1995
Tony Oursler, Constance DeJong, Stephen Vitiello
Fantastic Prayers
www.diacenter.org/rooftop/webproj/fprayer/fprayer.html
Dia Center of the Arts

Mai 1995 (Mailbox-Version bei BIONIC seit 1989)
PooL Processing (Heiko Idensen und Matthias Krohn)
Die imaginäre Bibliothek
www.hyperdis.de/pool
Ars Electronica

Mai 1995
Jenny Holzer
Please change belief
adaweb.walkerart.org/project/holzer/cgi/pcb.cgi
Adaweb

Mai 1995
David Blair
Waxweb mit 3-D-Interface
www.waxweb.org *

Sommer 1995
Richard Kriesche
Telematic Sculpture 4
iis.joanneum.ac.at/kriesche/
Venedig Biennale

Juni 1995
Michael Bilecki
Exodus
exodus.avu.cz
Ars Electronica

Juni 1995
Horizontal Radio (Koordination: Heidi Grundmann und Gerfried Stocker, mit
über hundert Künstlern aus der ganzen Welt)
gewi.kfunigraz.ac.at/~gerfried/horrad/horrad1.html
Ars Electronica

Juli - November 1995
Victoria Vesna
Virtual Concrete
arts.ucsb.edu/concrete/
Huntington Beach Museum, Los Angeles, USA

Juli 1995 - Januar 1998
John F. Simon
Alter Stats
www.numeral.com/alterend.html *
Sandra Geringer Gallery, New York/Adaweb, New York

Sommer 1995
Ken Feingold
Telegarden
telegarden.aec.at *
Annenberg Center at the University of Southern
California und Adept Technology, Los Angeles, USA

Sommer 1995
Shu Lea Cheang u.a.
Bowling Alley
bowlingalley.walkerart.org *
Walker Center of the Arts, Minneapolis, USA

August 1995
Joan Heemskerk und Dirk Paesmans
jodi
www.jodi.org

August - Dezember 1995
Philip Pocock und Felix S. Huber
Arctic Circle
www.icf.de/tcancer
Ausstellung „Fotografie nach der Fotografie“ in München, Deutschland

September 1995
Eva Wohlgemuth & Kathy Rae Huffman
Siberian Deal
www.icf.de/siberian
Hilus, Wien, Östereich

September 1995
Heath Bunting u.a.
Irational Gallery Ltd
www.irational.org

September 1995
Komar und Melamid
The Most Wanted Painting
www.diacenter.org/km/
Dia Center of the Arts, New York, USA

September 1995
Vera Frenkel
BodyMissing
www.yorku.ca/BodyMissing
ISEA 95, Montreal, Canada

September 1995
G.H. Hovagimyan: Art Direct (Mailbox-Version bei The Thing seit September
1994)
www.thing.net/~gh/artdirect/
Artnetweb, New York; The Thing, New York

Oktober 1995
Alexei Shulgin, Tania Detkina, Alexander Nikolaev, Rachel Baker
Moscow WWWArt Centre
redsun.cs.msu.su/wwwart *

Oktober 1995
Floating Point Unit (Jeff Gompertz, Bruno Ricard, Vlasta Volcano)
Extremely Refrigerated (Performance mit CUsee me)
www.location1.org/fpu  (D)
New York, USA

November 1995
mezflesque.exe (Maryanne Breeze): Cutspace
wollongong.starway.net.au/~mezandwalt/cutspace.htm

Dezember 1995
Eva Grubinger
Computer @ided curating
www.icf.de/CAC/

Ausstellungen, Online-Galerien, Kontextsysteme und andere
Netzkunst-Institutionen

Januar 1995
Dia Center of the Arts beginnt eigene Netzkunst-Sammlung
www.diacenter.org
Dia Center of the Arts, New York, USA

Februar 1995
Artnetweb (Ezine)
artnetweb.com/philadelphia/artnetweb95 *
New York, USA

März 1995
Konrad Becker, Francisco de Sousa Webber u.a.
Public Netbase t0
www.t0.or.at
Wien, Österreich

Mai 1995
Switch (Ezine)
switch.sjsu.edu
San Jose State University, USA

Juni 1995
Wolfgang Staehle u.a.
The Thing International im WWW
www.thing.net
www.thing.or.at

Juni 1995
Ars Electronica „Welcome to the Wired World“, bei der zum ersten Mal ein
Prix Ars Electronica in der Kategorie „.net“ verliehen wird
www.aec.at
Linz, Österreich

August 1995
Tool (Gruppenausstellung)
www.screenarts.net.au/tool/tool01 *
Urban Exile Galerie, Syndey

Oktober
Channel (Online Galerie)
www.channel.org.uk
ARTEC, London

November 1995
Monstersoup (Gruppenausstellung)
www.chickenfish.cc/subtle/monstersoup *
Chimera Online Gallery, Australien

Dezember 1995
Interfiction (Netzwerker-Treffen)
www.uni-kassel.de/interfiction
Kasseler Dokumentarfilm- & Videofestes, Kassel, Deutschland

--------

1996

Januar/Februar 1996
Philip Pocock, Florian Wüst, Felix S. Huber, Christoph Keller
Arctic Circle
www.thing.net/~circle

März 1996
Sensorium
World Ear
www.sensorium.org/worldear/index.html

März  1996
etoy
Digital Hijack
www.hijack.org

Mai 1996
Masaki Fujihata
Global Clock Project
www.flab.mag.keio.ac.jp/GClock/

Juli 1996
Paul Garrin
name.space
www.autono.net

Oktober 1996
Alexei Shulgin, Vuk Cosic et al
Refresh
sunsite.cs.msu.su/wwwart/fresh.html

November 1996
Sensorium
Web Hopper
www.sensorium.org/webhopper/index.html

Ausstellungen, Online-Galerien, Kontextsysteme und andere
Netzkunst-Institutionen

Januar 1996
G.H. Hovagimyan, Adrienne Wortzel, Robin Murphy
Art Dirt (Kunst-Talkshow im Real-Audio-Format bei pseudo.com)
www.walkerart.org *

Januar 1996
Next five minutes, Amsterdam (Konferenz)
www.dds.nl/~n5m

Februar 1996
nettime  (Mailing-list)
www.nettime.org *