nettime_announcer on Mon, 20 Dec 1999 04:28:03 +0100 (CET)

<nettime> announcer 99.51 [c]

                                                                   - - - - - - -
                                                                   | 9 9 . 5 1 |
                                                                   - - - - - - -

                                                   <nettime> announcer   |  a
 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - |  c <<

                                                                         - - - -
    Chaos Update <chaos-update-owner@lists.ccc.de> : CCC HOWTO/FAQ 1.2   | 1 9 |
                                                                         - - - -

 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - |

                                delivered each weekend into your inbox   |

                                        mailto:nettime-l@bbs.thing.net   |

                                                                         - - - -
 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - | 1 9 |
                                                                         - - - -

16th CHAOS COMMUNICATION CONGRESS HOWTO/FAQ 1.2 (english)

last modified:      16.12.1999
maintained by:      the FAQ slave <faq@congress.ccc.de>
posting-frequency:  random

change log:
-----------

1.2: accommodation, new tips (2.5)
         11 mbit/sec wireless ethernet (4.3)
         refined version of press regulations (1.6)
1.1: date of press conference corrected (section 1.6)
         local swimming pool in congress vicinity added (2.7)
         jolt and club mate (3.2)
1.0: initial public release

=====================================

THE 16TH INCREASINGLY ANNUAL CHAOS COMMUNICATION CONGRESS
berlin, dec. 27th thru 29th 1999

1. GENERAL INFORMATION

        1.1  what is the chaos communication congress?
        1.2  where and when does it take place?
        1.3  what are the times of opening? when should i arrive?
        1.4  is the congress something for me?
        1.5  can i help out at the congress?
        1.6  press
        1.7  language

2.      PRACTICAL INFORMATION

        2.1  arrival by train
        2.2  arrival by car
        2.3  once in berlin, how do i get to the congress?
        2.4  where can i find a car pool for my trip to the congress?
        2.5  where can i find accommodation?
        2.6  notice to visitors with disabilities
        2.7  local swimming pool in congress vicinity

3.      ENTRY AND FEES

        3.1  entry fees and booking
        3.2  catering / prices
        3.3  can i bring my computer?
        3.4  is my stuff insured?

4.  CONGRESS NET

        4.1  is there internet at the congress?
        4.2  how do i receive an ip-adress and a dns entry?
        4.3  what equipment does my computer need for the congress net?
        4.4  which services and protocols can i use on the congress net?
        4.5  are there any codes of conduct on the congress net?
        4.6  i'd like to install a web-cam. is that ok?

5.  MISCELLANEOUS

        5.1  where can i find up-to-date information on the congress?
        5.2  where can i submit projects for the congress?
        5.3  there's an error in this faq

1. GENERAL INFORMATION
===========================

1.1  what is the chaos communication congress?

the chaos communication congress is a three-day seminar on technology,
society and utopia. the congress offers lectures and workshops on a
multitude of topics including (but not limited to) information
technology, it-security, internet, cryptography and generally a
critical-creative attitude towards technology and is an invitation to an
open discussion of these.

at the hack center anyone can hook up his own hardware to the congress
net and gain, as well as exchange practical experiences. (see 3.3) the
chaos-archive offers documents from the past 20 years of computing- and
hacking-history. there are photocopyiers available for personal backups.
the congress is a meeting-point of the hacker-scene, but it also adresses
participants from commerce, politics and society in general.

the chaos communication congress (ccc) is an event hosted by the chaos
computer club e.v. (ccc)

parallel to the congress the 3rd german championship in lock-picking will
take place on-site. more information on this event can be obtained at
http://www.ssdev.org.

1.2  where and when does the congress take place?

this year the congress will take place again in berlin at the convention
center "Haus am Köllnischen Park":

        16th CHAOS COMMUNICATION CONGRESS
        december 27th thru 29th 1999
        haus am köllnischen park (hakp)
        (convention center berlin-mitte)
        am köllnischen park 6-7
        10179 berlin

for a more geographical description check:

        http://www.stadtplandienst.de/query;ORT=b;LL=13.416868x52.513585

parking lots are available at the convention center.

1.3  what are the times of opening? when should i arrive?

the entrance is open daily from 9 a.m. to 10 p.m. events begin at 10 a.m.
and end at 6 p.m.  at 7 p.m. all workshop-venues will be closed. at 10
p.m. the entrance will be locked.

breakfast will be available from 9 a.m. at the chaos-café which will
additionally offer cooked meals until ca. 6 p.m. after which snacks and
beverages will be on sale.

visitors bringing their own hardware and wishing to arrive early can hit
the convention centre from dec. 26th onward. if you are one of these
people you should definitely read section 3.3!

1.4  is the congress something for me?

the congress adresses all life-forms of this galaxy with a tendency
towards or an interest in a critical-creative approach to technology. the
congress adresses freaks and beginners equally and offers suitable
workshops and lectures for everyone. participants with an aversion to
such blah-di-blah activities simply spend three days at the hack center.

a number of events adress beginners, others again are intended for
advanced experts. all lectures offer a high degree of interactivity and
audience participation. *you* are the congress!

should you be intersted in holding a lecture or organising a workshop,
please contact the hosts of the congress to arrange the necessary space,
hardware and time-slot. (more details on this in section 5.2)

1.5  can i help out at the congress?
--------------------------------------

indeed! we're looking for "chaos angels" to support us with regular tasks
for the entire period of the congress. as a chaos-angel you won't end up
constantly stuck with work: we simply will ask you from time to time to
help with particular tasks.

we expect from participants registered as chaos-angel that they commit
themselves for at least one of the days of the congress, so that we are
able to set up timetables and plan ahead. there are various topics and/or
areas for which participants wishing to register as chaos-angel can apply
for.

in return, chaos-angels will have a reclining area of their own set aside
where they can hang out and have fun away from all of the hussle and
bussle. you will also receive one of our excellent congress-t-shirts for
free.

should you be interested, please register in advance with our nifty
web-form at <http://www.ccc.de/congress/engel.html>. specific requests
should be adressed to engel@congress.ccc.de.

1.6  press
-----------

a special entry fee has been arranged for members of the press. in return
a designated press room will be made available for preparations,
relaxation, access to documenation, interviews etc.

filming and taking of photographs is permitted on day #1 (dec. 27th 1999)
during the time of 10 a.m. and 2 p.m. only. however, no photographs or
films are allowed at _any_ time in the _lower_ part of the hackcenter and
in the cafeteria. visual recordings of lectures are permitted, if
explicit approval has been granted by the lecturer in question. in any
case, no visual recordings of the audience are permitted.

in general, as well as during workshops and lectures, no visual
recordings may be taken from visitors of the congress if no explicit
permission has been granted. surveys among prospective visitors indicate
that visitors to the congress do wish to make use of their right to their
own image, which makes these regulations concerning visual recordings
necessary.

on sunday, dec. 26th 1999 at 8 p.m. a press conference  will be held by
the CCC. all members of the press are invited to participate.

events hosted by the ssdev are governed by separate regulations
concerning the entry to their venues. members of the press wishing to
cover any of these events are advised to check these regulations at

    http://www.ssdev.org/

further details for members of the press are available from a dedicated
press-faq hosted on the congress webserver at

    http://www.ccc.de/congress/presse.html

all members of the press wishing to cover the congress are kindly
requested to register _in advance_, in order to enable effective
coordination. a registration-form is available at

    http://www.ccc.de/congress/presse_anmeldung.html

1.7  language
-----------------

in general, all lectures, discussions and workshops will be held in
german. unfortunately there will be no translation or dubbing services
available. lectures and workshops of international participants will
partially be held in english. such events will receive a special notice
in the congress itinery.

previous proceedings of the congress suggest a significant percentage of
international participants. especially european visitors from the
netherlands, austria, poland, chechoslovakia, switzerland and hungary
have expressed lively interest and participation in the past. numerous
requests for information regarding the congress have also been received
from france, italy, spain, denmark and sweden. communication shouldn't
poise any unsurmountable problems, however: here at the congress
everybody can speak english.

as of now, further versions of this faq in other languages are planned
but haven't been realised yet. an up-to-date listing of all
language-versions of this faq can be found at

<http://www.ccc.de/congress/faq.html>

volunteers for other languages please contact <faq@congress.ccc.de>!

2.  PRACTICAL INFORMATION
============================

2.1  arrival by train
-------------------------

the probably best way to travel to berlin by train is from hannover,
nürnberg or hamburg via the i.c.e. (= international city express) routes.
most trains stop at "zoologischer garten" in the western part of town, as
well as at "ostbahnhof" (you guessed it: in the eastern part). to check
connections you can use the online timetable of the deutsche bahn at

    http://bahn.hafas.de

participants planning to travel directly to the congress by train, should
get off at ostbahnhof and take the bus no. 240 to "u
heinrich-heine-strasse" from where it's only a couple of meters to the
hakp (congress center "haus am köllnischen park"). the bus leaves the
station every 20 minutes (every 10 minutes during rush-hour).
alternatively, take the s-bahn *back* (in relation to the direction you
took by train) one station to "s jannowitz brücke" from where it's ca.
150 meters to the hakp. (see also section 2.3)

if your train ends at "zoologischer garten", take the u-bahn u2 to
"märkisches museum" (trains running to "vinetastrasse") from where it's
ca. 100 meters to the hakp.

maps of the congress vicinity are available at:

    http://www.ccc.de/congress/anreise.html

2.2  arrival by car
-------------------------

the best way to reach berlin by car is to use one of the
"autobahn"-routes, any of which will lead you onto the "berliner ring"
(a10). depending on which section of the a10 this approach leads you to,
we advise different routes.

hint: berlin is notorious for its numerous construction sites and a
rather lively activity in the area of street renaming. we therefore
strongly suggest to use a fairly _recent_ edition of a city map, in order
to avoid confusion and frustration due to "missing" or "unexpected"
buildings, stations, streets etc.

-> arrival via A24 or A11 (the direct route)

in this case, it is best to use the A114 from "autobahndreieck pankow"
(exit 32). the A114 turns into prenzlauer promenade after a while, then
into prenzlauer allee. continue until alexanderplatz. turn left at the
"forum hotel", immediatly right, then left again. now you're on
alexanderstrasse leading towards an s-bahn bridge. drive underneath this
bridge onto "brückenstrasse". take the second turn right (rungestrasse),
then the first left which incidentially is named "strasse am köllnischen
park". voila!

-> arrival via A2 or A9 (the scenic route)

driving eastward, exit the a10 at "dreieck drewitz" and take the a115
("avus") towards berlin central. after several kilometers straight onward
you'll reach the big autobahn-shebang where you need to take the a100
towards _hamburg_ (!); but only for a little while - after a few hundred
meters take the exit "kaiserdamm". once on the "kaiserdamm" itself (a
large town road) follow it eastward, straight ahead towards the
"brandenburger tor" (yup, you're doing the "tourist thing" :-)

as of this writing, the brandenburger tor is closed for motorized
traffic, so you need to take a right when you reach it. after this detour
you'll find yourself back on track (street signs should now resemble
something like "unter den linden"). continue eastwards yet again, past
the former "palast der republik", then turn right onto "spandauer
strasse". continue past the "rote rathaus" (the city hall) past two
intersections onto "stralauer strasse" until you reach the s-bahn-bridge.
continue underneath the bridge and take a right at the next intersection
(this will lead you underneath the s-bahn for a second time). you
are/should be now on "brückenstrasse". turn into the second street
(rungestrasse), then immediately left again into the "strasse am
köllnischen park". presto!

-> arrival via A12 or A13 (the unspectacular route)

if you arrive on the a12, simply ignore the a10. instead locate the a113
and take it straight into town. in case you arrive on the a13, enter the
a10 until "schönefelder kreuz" where you exit onto the a113. either way
you'll end up on the a113. after a while the a113 turns into the b96,
leading - eventually - to berlin central. be stubborn, play hard: stick
straight to the b96 (don't let that little detour around the "treptower
park" upset or deter you) until you reach an s-bahn-bridge. drive
underneath it. brace yourself. continue dead straight ahead. the road
you're taking will change its name several times en-route: puschkinallee,
schlesische strasse, köpenicker strasse. towards the end of "köpenicker
strasse" you'll intersect "brückenstrasse" resp. "heinrich-heine-strasse"
at the u-bahn station "heinrich-heine-strasse". continue for one more
intersection, then turn right into "strasse am köllnischen park". bingo!

2.3  once in berlin, how do i get to the congress?

the u-bahn station "u heinrich-heine-strasse" (u-bahn u8, bus no. 240,
265) is just a few meters away from the convention centre "haus am
köllnischen park" (hakp). this should be your station of choice to reach
the congress comfortably.

the stations "u märkisches museum" (u2) and "s jannowitzbrücke" are a bit
further off, but definitely within walking distance.

time-tables of the "bvg" (the berlin public transport authority) are
available online at:

    http://www.fahrinfo-berlin.de/fahrinfo/de/index.htm

but the deutsche bahn has also all of the inner-urban connections in its
web-database, so you can check your connections online as well at

        http://bahn.hafas.de

the precise wording of the station there is "Heinrich-Heine-Str. (U),
Berlin".

2.4  where can i find a car pool for my trip to the congress?

car-pools are published at

        http://www.ccc.de/congress/mfg.html

2.5  where can i find accommodation?
-------------------------------------

a word in advance: due to the y2k neurosis (mildly related to the y2k
bug) berlin is already now pretty much fully booked. in case of emergency
ask at the tourist office (tel. *49.30.2500025) or search at

 http://www.hrs.de/

who are usually well stocked with offers.

A. NO BUDGET

as in last year, we offer the possibility to "sleep cheap" at a nearby
gym. we charge dm 10,- per person per night. the gym will be open during
the nights of dec. 26th thru to dec. 30th inclusive.. directions will be
available at the info-desk at the congress.

B. SMALL BUDGET

there are several backpacker-hostels and inexpensive hotels in berlin
offering accommodation in single- or multi-bedrooms for dm 22 to 38 per
night. these hostels are usually available on short-term booking,
however, demand is high during the congress. we strongly recommend timely
booking.

the following listing is sorted by distance to the congress. prices are
quoted without guarantee. visitors not bringing their own sheets or
yh-sleeping bags should prepare themselves for an additional one-time fee
of dm 3 to 7.

    Jugendgästehaus des DSJ (DM 38,50 per person)
    Franz-Künstler-Straße 4-10, D-10969 Berlin (Kreuzberg)
    Tel +49 (30) 6151007, Fax +49 (30) 6146339
    STATUS: FULLY BOOKED

    Frederik's Hostel (DM 22-DM 35 per person)
    Straße der Pariser Kommune 35, D-10243 Berlin (Friedrichshain)
    Tel +49 (30) 29669450, Fax +49 (30) 29669452
    http://www.frederiks.de, hostel@frederiks.de
    STATUS: FULLY BOOKED

        Circus The Hostel (DM 25-DM 38 per person)
    Rosa-Luxemburg-Straße 39-41, D-10117 Berlin (Mitte)
    Tel +49 (30) 28391433, Fax +49 (30) 28391484
    http://www.circus-berlin.de/, circus@mind.de
    STATUS: critical, nearly full

    Backpacker Hostel Berlin (DM 25-DM 38 per person)
    Chausseestrasse 102, D-10115 Berlin (Mitte)
    Tel +49 (30) 2625140, Fax +49 (30) 28390935
    http://www.backpacker.de
    STATUS: FULLY BOOKED

    Jugendgästehaus Berlin (DM 32 per person)
    -> ONLY FOR PEOPLE WITH YOUTH-HOSTEL CARDS!
    Kluckstraße 3, D-10785 Berlin (Tiergarten)
    Tel +49 (30) 2611098, Fax +49 (30) 2650383
    http://www.jugendherberge.de/kluckstr.html
    STATUS: dec 27th to 28th: no problem (200 vacancies), after that:
critical to booked

    Lette'm sleep 7 (DM 26-DM 45 per person)
    Lettestraße 7, D-10478 Berlin (Prenzlauer Berg)
    Tel +49 (30) 44733623, Fax +49 (30) 44733625
    http://www.backpackers.de/bp/
    STATUS: 20 to 30 vacancies

C. RELAXED

for the more affluent visitor of the congress there are a number of
inexpenisve hotels. prices quoted in this listing represent the _minimum_
charge for single as well as double rooms.

    Hotel zur Reichspost (single: DM 65, double: DM 90)
    Urbanstraße 84, D-10967 Berlin (Kreuzberg)
    Tel +49 (30) 6911035, Fax +49 (30) 6937889
    conveniently located at the U8

    Hotel Garni Am Anhalter Bahnhof (single: DM 80)
    (4/5-bedroom total for DM 40 per person)
    Stresemannstraße 36, D-10963 Berlin (Kreuzberg)
    Tel +49 (30) 2510342, Fax +49 (30) 2514897

    Pension Kreuzberg (single: DM 70)
    Großbeerenstraße 64, D-10963 Berlin (Kreuzberg)
    Tel +49 (30) 2511362, Fax +49 (30) 2510638

D. DELUXE

visitors accustomed to a higher standard of living may wish to consider
the following hotels within the vicinity of the congress:

    Hotel Luisenhof (single: DM 210, double: DM 250)
    Köpenicker Straße 92, D-10179 Berlin (Mitte)
    Tel +49 (30) 2415906, Fax +49 (30) 2792983

    art'otel ermelerhaus berlin (single: DM 235, double: DM 275)
    Wallstraße 70-73, D-10179 Berlin (Mitte)
    Tel +49 (30) 24062-0, Fax +49 (30) 24062-222
    http://www.artotel.de, berlin@artotel.de

2.6  notice to visitors with disabilities

the congress is of course also available and open to visitors with
disabilities and/or wheelchairs. should you require any assistance,
please don't hesitate to contact the "angel coordination office" (via the
info desk) where you can have a "chaos angel" assigned for your
assistance.

the berlin public transport authority bvg has dedicated web-pages for
people with disabilities. you can find them at

    http://www.bvg.de/news/mobilitaet.html

likewise for the s-bahn:

    http://www.s-bahn-berlin.de/index3.html

visitors with wheelchairs arriving with public transportation are advised
to use the s-bahn to "s-bahnhof jannowitzbrücke", as this station is
equipped with an elevator. from "jannowitzbrücke" it's approx. 150 meters
to the congress venue.

at the convention center itself a toilet for disabled people and an
elevator are available. (keys for the elevator can be obtained at the
info-desk). by these means all venues may be accessed without the use of
stairs, except for workshop 1/2 and the lower floor of the hackcenter.
these are accessable via a stair with ca. 15 steps.

2.7  public swimming pool in congress vicinity

there is a public swimming pool located aprox. 10 min. by foot from the
hakp. the adress is

Holzmarktstraße 51,
10243 Berlin-Friedrichshain,
Tel +49 (030) 2492174.

    http://www.stadtplandienst.de/query;ORT=b;LL=13.427825x52.514053

it is open until 6 p.m. on dec. 26th and until 11 p.m. on dec. 27th to
29th.
entry is dm 4,- reduced and dm 6.- regular per day.

3.  ENTRY AND FEES
====================

3.1  entry fees and booking
----------------------------

access to the congress is available with either a day-pass or a full
ticket covering all three days. each participant will receive a receipt
upon request. journalists and commercial visitors receive an invoice
along with complete congress documentation material.

visitors paying in advance will enjoy the comforts of quick admittance
and a pre-issued pass. you also support us substantially in dealing with
costs that we need to cover in advance ourselves.

    full tickets (valid on all days of the congress)
    -------------

    standard                                            DM 50,--
        students                                                DM 30,--

    CCC e.V. members                            DM 30,--
    SSD e.V. members                            DM 30,--

        press                                                   DM 75,--
    commercial participants                     DM 300,--

    day passes
    -----------
    standard                                            DM 23,--
        students                                                DM 15,--

children under the age of 12 get in free.

members of the ccc e.v. will be identified through a list at the box
office. this list will include all members who have paid their membership
fees prior to dec. 15th 1999. members of the ssd e.v. may identify
themselves with their membership cards.

if you wish to pay in advance, please enter the appropriate amount into
the following account no later than dec. 15th 1999:

        owner:                  Chaos Communication Congress
        number:                 2028-100
        bank code:              100 100 10
        bank:                   Postbank Berlin
        subject:                "CONGRESS99 <YOUR-NAME-HERE>"

please bring in any case the transaction receipt with you! without this
receipt, proof of payment will not be possible at the box office. we mean
it. your ticket will be waiting for you under your name.

3.2  catering
--------------

the cafeteria of the convention center offers cooked meals, snacks, tea,
coffee and other beverages during the entire day.

canned jolt and club mate will be amply provided for.

3.3  can i bring my computer?
------------------------------

yes. there's plenty of room for this very purpose at the hack center.
every participant is invited to bring their computer and hook it up to
the congress net. (see also section 4).

any hardware larger than pocket-size (i.e. desktop computers, laptops,
notebooks, monitors etc. but not mobile phones, pilots etc.) _must_ be
registered at the entrance. such items may be removed from the building
only with the appropriate congress pass and only during the main hours
from 9 a.m. to 10 p.m.

if you wish, a photograph or id-number (drivers-licence, passport) can be
entered on/attached to the congress pass to ensure the effectiviness of
this method even if the congress pass should become lost.

3.4  is my stuff insured?
--------------------------

all exits from the congress and the hack center will be guarded at all
times and only items on the hardware list will be let out. once again:
hardware may be removed from the building only with the appropriate
congress pass and only during the main hours from 9 a.m. to 10 p.m.  w e
m e a n  i t !

however, we cannot take any responsibility for lost or stolen hardware
whatsoever. visitors wishing to insure their machinery should get a
private hardware insurance policy from their insurance company of choice.

4.  CONGRESSNET
===============

4.1  is there internet on the congress?

indeed! all computers at the hack center, workshops and venues will be
connected to the internet. we will have leased-line connectivity with -
at the very least - feasible bandwith.

every participant is entitled to bring his/her hardware, set it up at the
hack center and hook it up to the congress net.

4.2  how do i receive an ip-adress and a dns entry?

you receive your ip-adress for your computer at the hack center. issuance
follows rfc 2322 using labelled clothes pegs.

    <ftp://ftp.ripe.net/rfc/rfc2322.txt>

once booted, you can register your machine online at the congress nick.
point your browser of choice to

        http://noc.congress.ccc.de

here you can enter your nickname. you will receive a pop3/imap mailbox
with <nickname>@congress.ccc.de and can register a dns-entry with your
ip-adress <nickname>.congress.ccc.de. should you set up a name server of
your own, you can run your own subdomain under <nickname>.congress.ccc.de.

congress nicks are issued strictly on a first-come-first-serve basis.

4.3  what equipment does my computer need for the congress net?

principially, congress net is either offered on a 10base-t (10 mbit/sec)
or 100base-tx (100 mbit/sec) basis with rj45 jacks. if 10base-2
connectivity is required, this may be achieved with additional hubs
equipped with such an interface, however, 10base-2 may not be available
everywhere. the number of hubs available is rather limited. pleasse bring
plenty of cables, patch-cords and hubs of your own and label them with
your name and phonenumber.

visitors with IEEE 802.11-compliant hardware may use wireless ethernet (2
mbit/sec or 802.11b/802.11HR
11mbit/sec) at the congress. please contact the hack center and ask for
special ip-adresses.

please keep in mind, that the following items might become rare rather
quickly. should you have any of them lying around at home: bring 'em!

     - ethernet-wiring (twisted pair/coax) (!)
     - rj45 jacks
     - crimps
     - hubs & switches (!)
     - multi-ac-outlets
     - power-cord extensions

we're striving to offer 100 mbit/sec connectivity on all segments of the
congress net, however, we can't give any guarantee.

4.4  which services and protocols can i use on the congress net?

in principal, all ethernet-capable protocols are usable. this means, that
besides ip also appletalk, decnet, ipx/spx, sna and netbios
(netbios/netbeui, netbios/tcpbeui) may be used. internet connectivity is
ip only.

alternatively to ipv4, ipv6 may also be used. ipv6 to the internet will
be tunnelled.

access to the net will not be filtered. visitors wishing for security
will need to set up their own firewall. however, the chaos communication
congress is certainly not a good neighbourhood for sensitive data to hang
out - any time of day! or to stress the metaphor even further: your kids
will definitely play in traffic!

the best thing is not to bring any sensitive data on your harddisc in the
first place. people wishing to read email via the congress net should use
at least pop3/imap4 or, even better yet, secure telnet (i.e. via ssh).
passwords are game at the congress!

4.5  are there any codes of conduct on the congress net?

yes. in short: live and let live. already the previous congress, as well
as the camp have showed, that some people enjoy attacking the network
infrastructure just for the sake of it. experienced hackers frown upon
such attempts and find such behaviour silly, superfluous and intolerable.
delinquents caught hacking internal machines will be sentenced to
toilet-cleaning not under 23 seats.

participants who think it's a terribly good laugh to crash other machines
with nukes and other niceties are risking their ethernet-card. hacking is
great sport, but nastiness will be answered accordingly. read our lips.

unsophisticated hacking on the internet (i.e. brute force attacks, dos
etc.) are to be avoided under all circumstances. please keep in mind that
THE PERSECUTION OF CRIMINAL OFFENCES CANNOT BE RULED OUT EVEN AT THE
CONGRESS!

furthermore, you are kindly requested to use speakers sparingly and
quietly only.

4.6  i'd like to install a web-cam. is that ok?

webcams are permitted on the upper floor of the hack-center. they are
_not_ permitted in the lower section.

5.  MISCELLANEOUS
====================

5.1  where can i find up-to-date information on the congress?

    chaos-update-subscribe@lists.ccc.de

you will receive an automatic response for confirmation. to get on the
list, simply reply to that mail.

5.2  where can i submit projects for the congress?

if you wish to conduct a workshop or lecture of your own or to act as
co-lecturer on an existing one, please contact
<workshops@congress.ccc.de>.

organisational questions not concerning lecturers or workshop conductors
should be adressed to <crew@congress.ccc.de>.

5.3  there's a bug in this faq