Tom Sherman on Wed, 22 Dec 1999 12:45:17 +0100 (CET)

<nettime> LOSE DEPTH/GAIN RANGE

WHAT WE LOSE IN DEPTH WE GAIN IN RANGE

The culture of convenience is superficial, more than anything else, so why
try to hide the fact.

We are moving towards a world where everything is available 24X365,
whatever the long-range consequences.  The speed and range, do people
really want to go faster and farther at all cost?  We will find out soon
enough, because nothing grows very quickly, or spreads very far, unless
there is a time and space for it.

We're heading towards a paper-thin culture, but what we will lose in depth
we will gain in range.  Culture today may seem instantaneous on the
surface, but behind the scenes there is planning, planning, planning, and
more planning.  Today's superficial culture may look quick and dirty, but
it is not.  We've got to automate some of this planning to get the costs
down.

Automating culture requires scientific management techniques.  Management
today is a science, after all.  [Some feel this is society's greatest
problem.] We can deny it, but more and more management is taking on the
ideology and methodology of science.

Business today is not about keeping your word or building trust.  Today
businesses are run on math.  First it was the almighty dollar, now it is
the almighty algorithm.

Tom Sherman

Nerve Theory http://www.allquiet.org/