nettime's_retrospective_system on Tue, 28 Dec 1999 17:21:50 +0100 (CET)

<nettime> Re: An Early History of 90s Cyberculture [wark, scotartt, garrin]

Re: <nettime> An Early History of 90s Cyberculture
          McKenzie Wark <mw35@is6.nyu.edu>
          "scotartt" <scot@systemx.autonomous.org>
          Paul Garrin <pg@lokmail.net>

Date: Tue, 28 Dec 1999 08:29:08 -0500 (EST)
From: McKenzie Wark <mw35@is6.nyu.edu>
Subject: Re: <nettime> An Early History of 90s Cyberculture

It's a depressingly accurate assessment, but only if you take
for granted the premise of the early cyberculture, namely that
the tool is the thing. The tools promised so much, but then
"they" got hold of the tools and took them away from us and
made all this, all this shit, with them. But what if it isn't
about tools, or rathr isn't about investing hope always in the
latest tool the new tool. Rather, a question of looking for
parts to put together eccentric machines, maybe made out of
some knowledge, and some love, and some paper, and some air
travel, and, yes, some email, and a web page, but also out
of talk, and maybe vodka, too. "I have to dance my way, outta
this constriction", as Bootzilla says. Maybe, for example,
if cyber*space* is too constricted, its time to work on
cybertime, on the archive, on the past as a resource, once
again. Too much modernism in cyberhype, whether early or
late 90s, too much faith in the tool, but also in the present,
in the conquest of the present through the tool. Maybe its
time for cyberculture's own postmodern moment, its rediscovery
of history, of irony, of dance.

McKenzie Wark  http://www.mcs.mq.edu.au/~mwark
Visiting Professor, American Studies Program, New York University
"We no longer have origins we have terminals"