TONGOLELE on Tue, 1 Oct 2002 17:14:02 +0200 (CEST)

[nettime-lat] Coco Fusco's video installation in Belgium

Coco Fusco's video installation, DOLORES FROM 10 TO 10 will be featured in
the media exhibition, WHAT? A TALE OF FREE IMAGES at the Memlingmuseum in
Brugge, Belgium, opening October 4, 2002.

Museum address:
Memlingmuseum
Mariastraat 38,
8000 Brugge

Also included in this exhibition are video works by Walid Ra'ad (The Atlas
Group) and Fiona Tan.

DOLORES FROM 10 TO 10
A video installation by Coco Fusco
Performance by: Ricardo Dominguez and Coco Fusco

Dominguez and Fusco's
original net.performance was produced by:
ARS 01 Unfolding Perspectives
Kiasma Museum of Contemporary Art
Helsinki, Finland

"In the summer of 1998, on a research trip to Tijuana, Mexico, I met Delfina
Rodriguez, a maquiladora worker who had been accused by her employer of
trying to start a union in the plant. To coerce her into resigning, her
manager had locked her in a room without food, water, bathroom or phone for
twelve hours. She had signed a letter of resignation under duress and then,
once she was released, she sued her former employer for violation of her
civil rights. Her boss told the judge that she was insane, that nothing had
happened and that she had no proof. Her coworkers were afraid to testify on
her behalf. I was convinced that there must have been surveillance cameras
recording what happened to her during her internment. Dolores from 10 to 10
is my interpretation of what the cameras saw."