Eveline Lubbers on Wed, 11 Sep 2002 23:09:02 +0200 (CEST)

Re: [Nettime-nl] Fwd: Fw: Doorsturen aub, 't is een kleine moeite...

deze zou ik maar eens checken op lijsten met
bekende hoaxes want hiervan heb ik al zeer
veel variaties voorbij zien komen in de loop
der jaren...
Bij bijv. hoaxbusters is het een speciale categorie:
sympathy hoaxes...
eveline

http://hoaxbusters.ciac.org/HBSympathy.shtml

Sympathy Hoaxes
Sympathy hoaxes describe some person or company that has had something terrible
happen to them such as an accident or terminal disease. In some cases, these
hoaxes may have described a real person however that person has grown up, gotten
cured, and would really like to stop receiving all the e-mail. The hoaxes are generally
of the do this to send help or make a wish type.

The real problem with sending out a warnings like these is that there is no way to
stop them after the problem is resolved. While this is a good way to get the word out
about something imporant and time limited such as a missing child, it might be
better to ask readers to check some web page to see if the problem has been
resolved before sending the message to all their friends. Another option is to put a
date on the message (say two weeks in the future) and ask the readers to not
forward the message after that date. The writer can always send out a new message
with a new date if the problem has not yet been resolved.

Last modified: Thursday, 11-Jul-2002 14:43:24 PDT

- A Little Girl Dying
- A Little Girl Dying Again???
- Little Girl Dying of Leukemia Hoax
- Little Girl With No Arms Hoax