eveline lubbers on Thu, 20 Mar 2003 16:15:02 +0100 (CET)

[Nettime-nl] Why Am I Getting All This Spam

Een vraag die ons allen bezighoudt:

New CDT Report Shows How Spammers Can Get Your E-Mail Address

A new report from the Center for Democracy & Technology entitled "Why Am I
Getting All This Spam?" sheds some light on one of the Internet's most
pressing issues -- unsolicited commercial e-mail, a.k.a. spam.

Armed with lists of e-mail addresses, "spammers" send billions of e-mail
messages every day, mostly to users who don't want them. As it mounts up,
this spam inconveniences tens of millions of Internet users and imposes
huge costs on ISPs.

Part of what has made spam such a difficult issue is that it's often
impossible to tell how a spammer acquired a user's e-mail address. To
address this, CDT embarked on a project to begin to determine the source of
spam. We set up hundreds of single-use e-mail addresses and posted or
disclosed them on Web sites and newsgroups, and to a variety of corporate
and organizational online service providers.

It should come as no surprise to most e-mail users that many of the
addresses CDT created for this study attracted spam (nearly 9,000 spam
messages in all), but it is interesting to see the different ways that the
addresses attracted spam depending on where the e-mail addresses were placed.

The project's results offer Internet users some insight about how certain
online behaviors can result in spam, as well as tips to help users reduce
the spam that they receive.

"Why Am I Getting All This Spam?" is available at
http://www.cdt.org/speech/spam/030319spamreport.shtml [HTML]
http://www.cdt.org/speech/spam/030319spamreport.pdf [PDF]
NEW PHONE NUMBER:
Nieuw telefoonnummer:

Leaving buro Jansen & Janssen,
my mobile will be my office number:

++ 31 6 479 669 05

Vanaf eind maart ben ik niet meer
op Jansen bereikbaar.

http://www.evel.nl

______________________________________________________ * Verspreid via nettime-nl. Commercieel gebruik niet * toegestaan zonder toestemming. is een * open en ongemodereerde mailinglist over net-kritiek. * Meer info, archief & anderstalige edities: * http://www.nettime.org/. * Contact: Menno Grootveld (grootveld@nrc.nl).