geert on Fri, 18 Jun 2004 09:58:32 +0200 (CEST)

[Nettime-nl] 'Sharing Cultures' conferentie, Rotterdam, 11-13.7

Dear colleagues,

>From July 11 - 13, 2004 the European Cultural Foundation is
organizing the 'Sharing Cultures' Conference in Rotterdam. This event
will gather cultural operators and policy makers from all over Europe
to discuss a cultural strategy for Europe. The conference provides a
unique opportunity to present European Ministers of Culture who will
attend the event with opinions and recommendations of the cultural
sector. For more information please consult
<http://www.eurocult.org/>www.eurocult.org !

As some of you may already know from a message sent around earlier
today the European Cultural Foundation is currently preparing a
Petition on Europe as a Cultural Project. An appeal of the cultural
sector regarding this matter shall be presented to the Ministers of
Culture during the conference. In order to gain sufficient momentum
for this call for developing a cultural strategy on European level it is
of utmost importance that as many voices from the field as possible
support this petition.

Please take a minute to read the request for support by Gottfried
Wagner, Director of the European Cultural Foundation and the proposed
text of the Petition. Both documents are attached to this message.
For endorsing the Foundation's call for a Europe of Culture please
reply to the attached message (petition@eurocult.org) by indicating
your name, function and the organisation you work for (if applicable)
at your earliest convenience.

Thank you very much for your cooperation!

Kind regards,

Philipp Dietachmair
European Cultural Foundation, Amsterdam

Dear Colleagues,

As an independent intermediary between cultural policy development
and cultural practice, the European Cultural Foundation has organized
the Sharing Cultures Conference in Rotterdam from 11-13 July 2004.
This advocacy event, long in preparation, aims to put culture high on
the EU agenda and voice the concerns and proposals of the field.
Cultural operators and policy makers will gather together at the
conference to discuss and propose a European cultural strategy.

The Sharing Cultures Conference provides an exceptional opportunity
to address the European Ministers of Culture. We are invited to
present to them at their meeting in Rotterdam the findings and
recommendations of the cultural sector.

We are working on several cultural advocacy fronts:

- An open letter, written by the ECF and EFAH (European Forum for the
Arts and Heritage) and signed by prominent European figures, is
published in major European newspapers to coincide with the elections
to the European Parliament.

- A petition (see the attached "appeal") on behalf of the European
cultural field will be presented to the media in June and to the
ministers the following month. This calls on them to exercise their
commitment to European cultural cooperation and citizenship and to
put culture on the agenda of the European political institutions. If
it is to have an impact, the petition should be signed and supported by
as  many as possible in the cultural sector (networks, organizations,
institutions, artists etc.). Therefore we ask for your support.

- A conference manifesto will be produced, specifying recommendations
in the five priority areas of the Rotterdam conference. This will be
based on the work of the expert task forces that are preparing the
conference. The manifesto will be presented to the ministers in
Rotterdam.

- We will conclude this lobbying campaign with a meeting with the new
Culture Committee of the European Parliament in autumn, prepared in
close partnership by the ECF and EFAH.

We wish to convince the European ministers, the members of the
European Parliament and other European institutions that the European
Union is also a 'cultural project'. Europe needs a new strategy of
cultural action that enhances mobility, strengthens co-operation,
encourages communication and debate, and consolidates trans-national
networks, based on new partnerships and resources from the EU budget
that are sufficient to attain all these goals.

We hope that you will join us in our efforts to have these important
issues placed prominently on the European agenda. Please give us your
support by signing the petition individually or on behalf of your
organization.

To offer your support, send us a reply by email saying 'agreed', with
the name of your organization and, preferably, the name of a contact
person, stating his or her function within the organization.

Yours sincerely,

Gottfried Wagner

Director, European Cultural Foundation

----

Petition:

EUROPE AS A CULTURAL PROJECT

An appeal by the cultural sector to the European Ministers of Culture

(On the occasion of the Sharing Cultures Conference in Rotterdam, 11-
13 July 2004)

An ever closer European Union can only be realized if Europe's
citizens are able to share their aspirations as a community. In
building such a community, we, the cultural institutions and networks
of Europe, have learned to experience what we have in common through
cross-border cooperation and collaborative engagement.

Working in an enlarged Europe within a context of globalization,
artists and cultural operators need support if they are to meet the
new challenges and overcome the - sometimes severe - limitations
confronting them. We are convinced that Europe needs a cultural
strategy in order to secure vision and support: a strategy which
balances the demands of artistic freedom, cultural competitiveness
and active democratic citizenship, with incentives to nurture
creativity; a strategy capable of achieving the following:

A substantial cultural mobility programme ö providing more and better
opportunities for cultural professionals to work together and
cultural goods to circulate

A better-resourced and user-friendly EU cultural programme, with more
pooled projects that build trust and strengthen artistic and cultural
collaboration.

A European policy for cultural diversity, devised in full awareness
of the cultural consequences of EU regulations, and sensitive to the
treatment of cultural values, goods and services in international
trade negotiations.

Support for the emergence of a European civil society, with the
promotion of a European public space for reflection, critique and
debate, bolstered by a vibrant cross-border media environment
Effective support for intercultural dialogue worldwide, paying
particular attention to cultural cooperation ö in a spirit of
partnership ö with the EU's neighbours.

Practical tools and coordinated efforts to enhance cultural
cooperation in shared ownership, with new alliances and
public-private partnerships providing cultural information, services,
knowledge management and research.

Only a coherent and adequately funded cultural strategy ö one which
complements and adds value to the policies of member states ö could
be effective within the Union and with respect to the Unionâs
worldwide responsibilities.

We call on the European Ministers of Culture to exercise their
commitment to European cultural cooperation and citizenship. We will
support the Ministers, as well as future members of the European
Parliament and officials of the European Commission, in developing a
new strategy of cultural action that enhances mobility, strengthens
cooperation, encourages communication and debate, and consolidates
trans-national networks; a strategy based on new partnerships and
sufficient EU budget resources to match these goals.

Signed,....