geert on Fri, 3 Sep 2004 22:52:25 +0200 (CEST)

[Nettime-nl] [Ascii-announce] home networking workshop

From: decoy <decoy@lo-res.org>

In the week of our eviction date, we are inviting all of you to come and
assemble computers out of leftover parts and broken boxes you or us have lying
around. One thing that can be done with old computers like that is using them
as network routers and firewalls.

Such machines can be used to create in-house networks called LANs. You can also
use them to create a layer of protection between you and the rest of the
network, a firewall. If you don't even know what that means, then this course
may be the right thing for you. If you have heard about it and you always
wondered how to actually do this, then this is definitely for you.

Location: ASCII Kinkerstraat 92 (hopefully, see below)
Time & Date: Thursday 16 September, Friday 17 September, Saturday 18 September
14:00 - 19:00 each day

We are planning to cover the following:
basic explanation of networking
how to set up your computer to do it (hardware)
creating a network (hardware and software)
building a firewall (software)

Important Further Information

The course will be running on three days during normal ASCII opening hours
(14:00 - 19:00)
The course may be interrupted or cancelled because of eviction
During the week we will feature a general computer install and construction
workshop. This is not part of it, and we are not covering the building of
computers or the installation of Linux in this workshop. We hope that the
activities of the rest of the week are already providing us with a number of
machines that we can use to experiment, but if you have an old computer that
already runs Linux then bring it (laptops do not make sense for this).