Ine Poppe on Wed, 1 Dec 2004 17:47:41 +0100 (CET)

[Nettime-nl] Sacred Text Archive

Las dit in de NY Times en dacht dat dit wel meer mensen van deze lijst
interesseert.
Uit de column ONLINE van Lisa Napoli:

Sacred Pages
Even before he lost his job as a software engineer with a dot-com company,
John Hare had started building the Internet Sacred Text Archive
(sacred-texts.com).
"I started the site as an intellectual challenge," said Mr. Hare, who, from
his home in Santa Cruz, Calif., scanned the contents of more than 1,000
books on religion, folklore and mythology, all in the public domain,
including scriptures from the world's major religions (as well as many
minor ones). Here you can find anything from The Ramayana in Sanskrit to a
1941 book by Archibald Cockren, "Alchemy Rediscovered and Restored."
"It was after 9/11 that my site really started to get a lot of hits,
particularly because I have the complete works of Nostradamus and several
translations of the Koran," Mr. Hare said. "Since then the traffic has
grown geometrically. "
Visitors are "overwhelmingly supportive," said Mr. Hare, who, since losing
his job, has made the site his main work; he sells copies of the texts on a
CD-ROM to subsidize the cost of maintaining the site. Buyers are from
around the world, he said, and from a variety of backgrounds. "I very
rarely get anything but high praise from visitors, even if they're writing
about a typo or lost package in the mail."