Tjebbe van Tijen on Wed, 23 Mar 2005 04:23:38 +0100 (CET)

[Nettime-nl] Oeps verkeerde "af-zender" nogmaals dus: Radiodays in De Appel:Amnesia or Arrogance?

For three decades this town - Amsterdam - has developed and sustained a
free radio practice, starting with the Vrije Maagd (free virgin) from
the occupied headquarters of the university in 1969 and the Radio
Sirene and Radio Mokum a few years later related to the neighbourhood
actions in the Nieuwmarktbuurt, evolving from radio as a mobilizing and
coordinating tool in political action to a diverse mix of cultural and
political content. Just from the top of my head station names come to
my mind like WHS Radio, Papatoe, Rabotnik, RVZ Radio, Radio Twist,
Vrouwenradio, Vrije Keizer, Radio GOT, Radio Kankantri, Staatsradio and
one of the most prolific and enduring stations: Radio 100. Some of
these initiatives also took part in the relative short period of free
television...

Many of these stations were experimenting with what radio could be when
freed from the burden of broadcast tradition and commercial interest.
Most of these initiatives stayed on the air for many years by the daily
creative and supportive input of hundreds of volunteers and listeners,
thus creating a creative realm where the distinction between radio
producer and radio consumer often faded...

Official radio and television soon discovered these free ranging media
laboratories and started to pick fresh talents from their core groups
to inject new energy in their sclerosised structures.

Instead of being supported, most of these initiatives have been chased,
persecuted and criminalized by local and state authorities. Freedom of
expression for broadcast media have been curtailed from the very
beginning, constitutional rights do hardly go beyond the culprit and
the printing press. For a decade or so some halfhearted 'open channel'
options were given under the tutelage of a non-elected foundation
(SALTO), but it all ended in a debacle when frequencies were auctioned
and sold and slowly most of these free initiatives were pushed out of
the aether while some manage to survive as streaming radio on the
Internet.

Now when I read the announcement of "radiodays in De Apple" as posted
on the nettime-nl list by Geert Lovink, the only - unintended - trace
of this rich history with a sad ending is the email address of the
moderator of this list Menno Grootveld: rabotnik@xs4all.nl --- RABOTNIK
being once one of the pioneers of  "Dutch "Radio Art" .

On the impressive name list of persons, groups and organizations I
hardly recognize anything that links back to the aforementioned local
history. Have all those people involved died the moment they have been
pushed out of free radio space? Could their pioneering work at least
not be mentioned in a few  words, some kind of homage to their courage
and endurance? Why is it not mentioned as a necessary part of such a
manifestation?

What makes the curators of De Appel dance on 'the grave of free radio
history' as if nothing creative in the field of radio ever happened in
this town called Amsterdam? Was all of it below their standards of what
can be classified by the word "Art"?  Or, do they simply not know?

Did they never check? (say just google "free radio" + Amsterdam to get
11.600 hits or "pirate radio" + Amsterdam good for 12.200 hits)? Did
they never search some libraries (30 books of secondary literature on
pirate radio at the University Library Amsterdam) ... or did they not
think about the option to search the collection of the International
Institute of Social History... just the simplest possible search with
the word "radio"  from the search option at their home page gives 1896
matches in 664 files ( http://www.iisg.nl ) with hits like "Vrije
Keyser Radio archief; or "Etters in de ether" (mischiefs in the aether,
a sublime documentary overview by Cor Gout of 20 years Dutch free radio
made in  1992); or the Staatsradio, Radio X and Papatoe audo archive
deposited in 1993; the archive of the magazine "de Zender" (the
emitter) of the eighties donated by Eef Vermij; a dossier with leaflets
from the period 1989-1991 when Radio 100 was taken "from the air" and
went back again; several cassettes from the early radio work of Willem
de Ridder; the archives of the Next 5 Minutes conferences on tactical
media in Amsterdam in the nineties, orthe archives of Europe Against
the Current manifestation in 1989 with many free radio initiatives....

When I understand it well the manifestation is a kind of 'school work'
or more nicely said "curatorial training program"... but as the student
curators maybe do not know those things (they might not even have been
born when free radio was raging in this town, or too young, or from
another part of the planet) there must be someone around who is from
this town, who knows something about its fuzzy and convivial history to
put the students on the right track...  how else can these curators
'in-spe' learn something. Nothing of that all seems to have happened!

Is this blotting out of the local context historical amnesia or
professional arrogance?

When will the well established cultural institutions that support this
manifestation recognize their failure in the past  in supporting local
media talents?

When will the authorities that cleansed free radio space apologize for
the injustice they have done?

Tjebbe van Tijen 23/4/2005

* http://www.nettime.org/.