Marije Janssen on Fri, 13 Oct 2006 13:34:00 +0200 (CEST)

[Nettime-nl] open call netporn seminar

Open Call for Contributions
Internet Pornography Seminar

Dates: June 1 & 2 2007
Location: Paradiso, Amsterdam
Organized by: Institute of Network Cultures and Paradiso in collaboration
with Katrien Jacobs and Matteo Pasquinelli

http://www.networkcultures.org/netporn

The Institute of Network Cultures and Paradiso would like to invite you to
send in your work for the second international seminar and exhibition on
internet pornography. This edition will focus on topics as
(gender)identity, social and ethnic minority groups, politics and
censorship.
The seminar will take place in Amsterdam on June 1 & 2 in 2007.
We are currently looking for people who are working on this subject and
would like to present their work to an international audience. If you are
a theorist, artist, researcher, producer or in another way engaged in the
field of netporn, we encourage you to send in an abstract of your work.

Seminar program
The event will take place on Friday June 1st and Saturday June 2nd.
On both days there will be opening lectures by keynote speakers. After the
keynote lectures, both days will be filled with clusters of presentations
and lectures concerning one of the four seminar themes.
In the evening of the second day there will be an extensive artistic
program with screenings and performances.

Exhibition
A two-day exhibition will be held at the seminar venue. In this exhibition
ten artists get the opportunity to show their views on the subject of
pornography, sexuality, technology and the human body.
It will include different kinds of media art like installations, net.art
and video art.

Seminar topics
The seminar has four main themes as focus points for the presentations:

-	The revolution of alt pornography: in what way has alternative and
do-it-yourself pornography democratized porn production? What are the
reactions of the commercial industry? How does it influence our perception
of porn?
-	Porn niches and ?trans? gender: stereotypical social divisions with
groups like hetero, gay, transsexual and transgenders seems to matter less
and less. What new revolutionary identities are arising, are old patterns
making way for a larger network of sexual possibilities?
-	Globalization of porn and the influence of ethnic minorities: this
session wants to define the way various ethnical groups make use of the
possibilities of porn. What are the ways in which they shape their own
sexuality, using of new technologies?
-	Politics of netporn; censorship, new rights and nightmares: Porn is
subject of repression (censorship) as well as progression (emancipation,
liberalization). Where do we draw the line? What are the newly aqcuired
rights that we already got out of this still expanding subject?

The first seminar made it possible for people to meet each other and
exchange views on a topic that is still controversial. It resulted in a
broad overview of developments in the field of netporn. With the second
edition there will be a more in-depth look and sharper focus, based on the
four themes that are provided.

Significant dates:

Deadline for submission abstract (250 words) and biography (100 words): 30
november 2006

Submit to: marije@networkcultures.org

Acceptance notification:

Further enquiries: