Patrice Riemens on Wed, 21 Oct 2009 19:36:59 +0200 (CEST)

[Nettime-nl] 'Post-politieke' lezing door geograaf Eric Swyngedouw, UvA, vr 30 oktober 10-12 u.

Origineel in het Engels, sorry! ;-)

Apocalypse Forever? Post-Political Populism and the Specter of Climate Change

AMIDSt lecture by Prof. Erik Swyngedouw

Friday, 30 October 2009, 10:00 - 12:00 hrs.

Abstract
This paper interrogates the relationship between two apparently disjointed
themes: the consensual presentation and mainstreaming of the global
problem of climate change on the one hand and the debate in political
theory/philosophy that centers around the emergence and consolidation of a
post-political and post-democratic condition on the other. The argument
advanced in this paper attempts to tease out the apparently paradoxical
condition whereby the climate is seemingly politicized as never before
while a brand of increasingly influential political philosophers insists
on how the post-politicization of the public sphere (in parallel and
intertwined with processes of neo-liberalization) have been key markers of
the political process over the past few decades.  We proceed in four
steps. First, we briefly outline the basic contours of the argument and
its premises. In a second part, we explore the ways in which the present
environmental conundrum is expressed via the vantage point of the climate
change debate. In a third part, we argue that the specific staging of
climate change and its associated policies is sustained by decidedly
populist gestures. In a final part, we discuss how this particular
choreographing of climate change is one of arenas through a post-political
frame and post-democratic political configurations have been mediated.

Environment
Biography

Erik Swyngedouw is Professor of Geography at the University of Manchester
in its School of Environment and Development. Swyngedouw is committed to
political economic analysis of contemporary capitalism, producing several
major works on economic globalisation, regional development, finance, and
urbanisation. Latterly his interests have turned to political-ecological
themes and the transformation of nature, notably water issues, in Ecuador,
Spain, the UK, and elsewhere in Europe.

Born in Belgium and fluent in Dutch, English, French, and Spanish, he
studied at Leuven, then completed a PhD entitled "The production of new
spaces of production" under the supervision of the renowned Marxist
geographer David Harvey at Johns Hopkins University (1991). From 1988
until 2006 he taught at the University of Oxford, latterly as Professor of
Geography, and was a Fellow of St. Peter's College. He moved to the
University of Manchester in 2006.

Location
Roeterseiland - Building E
Roetersstraat 11