Ibrahim Quraishi on Sun, 26 Jun 2011 09:09:00 +0200 (CEST)

[Nettime-nl] Are we in 1935 Germany or 21st Century Netherlands?

Dear Friend and Colleagues :

How to stop the tidal wave of political extremism in the Netherlands today? The extreme right PVV and its leader Geert Wilders in particular have hijacked virtually all the debates on culture, education, minority rights and freedom of speech, but their neo- liberal agenda smacks of a particular brand of fascism of by gone days, as they have co-opted virtually the entire Dutch Political establishment into this horrific misadventure.

What has become of the Dutch historical tolerance? What are we going to do to make sure that this country does not fall into the abyss of irrational right wing fanatics in the name of preserving their own brand of European-ness. The enemy is NOT Islam. It is NOT struggling artists, It is NOT the intellectuals, university students, hospital workers nor even ordinary citizen from all walks of life. The enemy is really the clique of neo-liberal capitalists who refuse to let go of their power and their jingoistic fear mongering in the name of national preservation, for their personal power aggrandizement and ultimate idealogical control.

I urge you all to please take a moment and look for possibilities of finding a pro-active way to protest the proposed actions of the Dutch Government.

We must stand against this tyranny of oppression of using public funding to silence the public itself!!!

We cannot allow the fundamental destruction of our civil-society for political expediency that services the right wing agenda here in the Netherlands or anywhere else!!! This has happened before in the United States under consecutive presidencies, beginning with Ronald Reagan (1980-1988) and the US have never recovered from its own national demise. As a matter of public record, education, culture, scientific research, social services, infrastructure, and all walk of life have been terribly effected by the American model : unbridled capitalism without responsibility!

Do we really wish this neo-liberal nightmare to permanently destroy the foundations of our socio-political, cultural multiplicity?

If all culture stopped for one day, all newspapers stop printing, all schools stop functioning, all hospitals closed their doors, all television stations and all other forms of digital media stopped broadcasting, what would happen???

This may be naive, but there must be a creative way to show resistance against political tyranny. If change is happening in the Middle East after 30 years of systematic oppression, we can also find ways to change our direction before its too late!

Please join me and thousands of others to voice their dismay at the current demise of culture, civil society and ultimate diversity here.

Monday 27 June
14.00-16.00
Plein
The Hague

Also please go to other websites like : http://www.schadekaart.nl and http://www.marsderbeschaving.nl/index_en.php to find out how you can contribute and get involved in this moment of extreme urgency.

ibrahim quraishi
www.ibrahimquraishi.org