Geert Lovink on Wed, 31 Oct 2012 14:28:00 +0100 (CET)

[Nettime-nl] Kraft - Let's Go!

From: officeR@ubermorgen.com

A while ago we made a rather adventurous trip to the Karoo desert in South Africa. The whole project was inspired by the TV-Show Lie to me, dealing with Microexpressions and fueled by the global fight about fracking & theoretical astrophysics.

Microexpressions are involuntary facial expression. The only possible way to hide microexpressions is by taking valium or injecting botox. Microexpressions express the seven universal emotions: disgust, anger, fear, sadness, happiness, surprise, and contempt. They are very brief in duration, lasting only 1/25 to 1/999,999 of a second.

After visiting a remote place called Sutherland we investigated Shell's intention to frack up the desert by analyzing microexpressions in infrastructure and landscapes, we went to see and calculate stars at the SAAO (South African Astronomical Observatory) and subsequently created an installation for our solo show at the Goethe Institut in Johannesburg, larger than life gif-animations and a broad collection of research material to be browsed & zoomed into while sitting in former Apartheid school-benches drained in blood & sweat from hundreds of students.

Only the gif-animated pixel is absolute and universal. The pixel does not move or change, it is an illusion, it can not abuse botox or valium and there is not a whole lot of information and certainly there is no depth of information available. The pixel is the past. The pixel is like a star in the universe.

Vienna, The Hague, Johnnesburg, October 31, 2012

More info http://leeeeeeets-go.nl

___

Kraft - Let's Go! is part III of our Kraft Series - http://kraft-series.com - and preceeds part IV, our upcoming show School of Energy at 3331 Tokyo.