Jim Ruxton on Sun, 1 Dec 2002 16:03:30 +0100 (CET)

[Nettime-ro] Subtle Technologies 2003 : Call for Proposals

Please pass along to anyone you know who may be interested. Thanks!

Subtle Technologies Conference
"blurring the boundaries between art and science"
May 23 - May 25 2003
University of Toronto
Toronto Canada

2003 Programs Seeking Proposals :

General Symposium: Throughout the three days of presentations, we aim to
cover a wide variety of subjects. In the past, topics addressed include
quantum physics , quantum computing and other unconventional computing
technologies, music, dance, consciousness research, holography,
animation, genetics, sonic explorations, sensing systems and devices,
social systems, complexity theory, and artificial intelligence.The
programming of the general symposium is shaped by the submissions of
each year and is meant to broaden the scope of disciplines or areas of
research for those who attend. People who have attended the conference
remark that although the individual topics at the conference are
extremely interesting it is often the threads that are woven between the
various presentations made by speakers from varied disciplines that make
the conference a unique experience .  We strongly encourage interested
applicants to submit proposals that are outside the topics mentioned
above if they feel their proposal fits into the general mandate of the
festival. Please visit the archives at:
http://www.subtletechnologies.com to acquaint yourself with the history
of our programming.

Ground:
This year we will also be presenting a themed session during the
conference."Ground? is a program exploring new technologies in
architecture and urban planning. Topics may include but are not limited
to, intelligent buildings, smart materials, alternative energy systems,
surveillance, the effect of architecture on traffic flow, architecture
and its affect on mood,organic architecture and nano-structures.

Criteria
The festival is open to the public and presentations must be accessible
to a non-specialized audience.
Each presentation is 40 minutes, followed by a ten minute question and
answer period.
It is strongly recommended that parties interested in submitting a
proposal visit our archives at http://www.subtletechnologies.com to get
a better idea of our programming. Presenters are responsible for paying
for their accomodations and transportation to Toronto. All presenters
receive an honorarium and their conference registration fees are waived.

Deadline for Proposals:   January 15, 2003. How to Apply
Please follow these instructions carefully to ensure accurate and timely
consideration of your proposal. Proposals must include:
Cover Sheet (see directions below)
A one page proposal or summary of your presentation
Your C.V. or resume ( no longer than 3 pages)
Do not send additional material. We will contact you for more
information if needed.

Cover Sheet must include:
Name:
Address:
Phone Number (include area code)
E-mail address (web site if available)
Program you are submitting to: (described above)
Title of Your Presentation:
Basic Topic:
Technical Requirements:

We prefer to receive proposals by email. Please send proposals to
cinetron@passport.ca

If you prefer, you can mail your proposals to: Subtle Technologies
Programming
258 Salem Avenue, Toronto ON
Canada, M6H 3C7