irina botea on Fri, 16 Dec 2005 19:22:11 +0100 (CET)

[Nettime-ro] mash, G2, Chicago

- New exhibitions open tomorrow at Gallery 2 and Project Space
847 W Jackson Blvd.

Gallery 2 presents “Mash-Up" on view Friday, December 16th, 2005 ­ Saturday,
January 14th, 2006.

The exhibition will feature work by
 Luke Aleckson,
Elizabeth Axtman,
Irina Botea,
 Adam Ekberg,
 Brad Farwell,
Jonathan Gillette,
Young Sun Han,
 Erin Jones,
Jenny Kendler,
Scott Kildall,
and Lilly McElroy.

The opening reception is Friday, December 16, 2005 from 6 to 9 p.m.

The title of the show refers to a recent musical phenomenon in which a
DJ/mixer
melds two or more radically different songs to create an entirely new
entity,
while each song clearly retains its original identity. Similarly, in
this show
each work retains its individual identity, but, as with all art, it
gains a new
kind of meaning when confronted and disrupted by the artistic, social,
and
cultural forces acting on and around it.
Work by diverse artists collide, both intensifying the differences
between them
but also revealing strange and often surprising connections. And
through this
fission a different kind of work is done, a different element is added.
An
alternative form of cohesion is recognized and celebrated.

“Mash-Up” opens Friday, December 16 and continues through Saturday,
January
14th. Admission is free. Gallery 2 hours are Tuesday through Saturday,
11 a.m.
to 6 p.m. For more information, call 312.563.5162.

Project Space "Veiled"

Project Space presents “Veiled" on view Friday, December 16th, 2005  ­
Saturday,
January 14th, 2006. The exhibition will feature work by Alessandro
Keegan,
Andrea Myers, and Sharon Younger. The opening reception is Friday,
December 16,
2005 from 6 to 9 p.m.

We all see through the veil of our perception. Our veils are flawed
lenses, but
flawed as they might be, they enable us to visually analyze our
surroundings.
Each of the three artists in “Veiled” try to communicate this condition
by
referencing nature and the human body and creating works that hover
somewhere
between abstraction and representation.

“Veiled” opens Friday, December 16 and continues through Saturday,
January 14.
Admission is free. Project Space hours are Tuesday through Saturday, 11