Simona Nastac on Tue, 11 Apr 2006 12:37:01 +0200 (CEST)

[Nettime-ro] Ioana Nemes at East-West Gallery / New York

Monthly Evaluations
  Ioana Nemes
  Curated by Simona Nastac

  14 April - 8 May 2006

East-West Gallery
573-577 3rd Avenue (@38th Street), New York, NY 10016
  Romanian Cultural Institute

  Private View : Friday 14 April 2006, 6.30-9pm

Ioana Nemes? work is a life time performance, a mapping of her physical and mental passage through time and space. The Monthly Evaluations project derives from a personal methodology of day-to-day self-evaluation, in an attempt to capture, objectify and assess her thoughts and experiences in an economically and socially unstable situation.

  Living in a tiny flat in Bucharest, Nemes started to use a space of a few square meters on the wall of the dining room to document her ideas, wishes, plans and art projects, treating the wall as a locus of overlap of texts and colours reflecting her position in an infinite chain of given specifics and contingencies. Gradually, the wall changed into a diachronic scheme of thinking, perception, and action.
  ?I discovered that the only material I possess and which did not depend on any producer, except life itself, is my time ? says the artist. Past, present and future, divided into days, malleable working pieces susceptible of taking a visible shape?.

  Monthly Evaluations is an attempt at a symbolic order of space and time, through codes, utopian plans, and imaginary situations, capable of producing new ways of resistance to and freedom from contemporary insanity. Nemes? project can only speak for her own experiences, but what it offers is a metaphor for her contemporaries and for the way we perceive ourselves, our surroundings, and our way of working given the situation in which we are living.

  The evaluations take place as follows: Friday 14, Wednesday 26 April, and Wednesday 3 May 2006.

  Ioana Nemes is one of the most promising Romanian young artists. She had four personal shows to date in Amsterdam, Vienna and Bucharest, and participated in various international group  projects such as ?Hidden Rhythms? (Kunstenaarsinitiatief Paraplufabriek, Nijmegen, Netherland, 2005), ?FAMA FLUXUS  MYTHOS BEUYS?, (Kunst+Projekte, Sindelfingen, Germany, 2005), and ?Motion Parade? (Fotogalerie Wien, Vienna, 2005). In 2006, she is invited to take part in the 2nd edition of Bucharest Biennale, the International Contemporary Art Biennial ?Periferic? 7 (Iasi), and the exhibition ?Soleil Noir? (Salzburger Kunstverein, Salzburg, Austria).

  Simona Nastac is a freelance curator and art critic, who lives and works in Bucharest. Since 2003 she is an editor of ?e-cart? contemporary art e-zine. Her most recent projects include ?Temporary Studio: ?Monthly Evaluations? (Orizont Gallery, Bucharest, 2006), I.D.E.A.London? (Institute of Contemporary Art, London, 2005), and ART tbc (Bucharest and Timisoara, 2006). She is a co-curator of the 2nd International Young Artists Biennial, Bucharest 2006, and a contributor to several art magazines such as Prezent (Bucharest), IDEA (Cluj), Vector (Iasi), and Praesens (Budapest).

  For further information, pictures, and interviews please contact Simona Nastac :
  Tel : (212)687- 0180, E-mail : simona_nastac@yahoo.com.