Simona Nastac on Wed, 17 Sep 2008 01:47:52 +0200 (CEST)

[Nettime-ro] BAR International AIR programme

BAR International invites artists from the Barents Region, Nordic countries and internationally to explore the Barents borderland in transition. Kirkenes, just a few miles from the borders to Russia and Finland, has become a transborder town, a gateway to Russia, a crossroad for political decisions and a laboratory for creative solutions to economic, cultural and social challenges in the border region.

  BAR facilitates art-production and mediation in the Barents Region: both studio-based work/research and artistic process in public space. BAR is connected to other projects produced by Pikene på Broen: the annual winter festival Barents Spektakel and the Barents Art Triennial. These events become presentation arenas for works produced under art-residency.

  BAR is a 3-year project that was started in 2008. It is part of the Nordic AiR network, and is supported by the Nordic Culture Point, Norwegian Arts Council, Barents Secretariat, Norwegian Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Finnmark County and Sør-Varanger Municipality.

  Artists are invited to apply for an artist-in-residency in Kirkenes for a period of 1 to 6 months.
  BAR covers costs for your travel to Kirkenes, per diems, accommodation and office facilities. We provide local travel in the area around Kirkenes, as well as cover costs of the artistic production.

  We have no deadlines in 2008. Please, send us your application, and we reply within 10 days after we receive your application.

  The application can be sent by e-mail to pikene@pikene.no (please, put ?BAR International? in the subject of your e-mail), or by regular mail to:
Pikene på Broen
Box 180
N-9915 Kirkenes