MPHackLab - Pula on Wed, 15 Sep 2004 19:01:59 +0200 (CEST)

[nettime-see] David Byrne, creative commons, etc...

Multimedia master/musician David Byrne and Brazil's ubiquitous minister of
culture/pop icon Gilberto Gil take the stage at Town Hall in New York City
on September 21st.
 Along with a passion for African and Latin music, the two performers share
an interest in making and presenting art in the digital age.
 The concert, presented by Wired magazine, will benefit Creative Commons, a
nonprofit organization offering a new approach to creativity and copyright -
an approach that respects authors' rights both to control their work and
share it on their own terms.
 Building on the "all rights reserved" of traditional copyright, Creative
Commons has designed a voluntary system of "some rights reserved"
protection.
 "The understandable legal battle over music file sharing is strangling the
creative potential of the Internet," said Creative Commons Chair Lawrence
Lessig.
 "While we should respect the rights of artists who don't want their work
used without permission, we should also make it easier for artists to mark
their works with the freedoms they want it to carry, so that other creators
can spread their creativity."
 Wired and Creative Commons will make available a live webcast of the
concert. Go to http://creativecommons.org/wired/ for details

Nettime-SEE mailing list
Nettime-SEE@nettime.org