LockSocrates on 6 Jul 2001 14:04:28 -0000

Re: [oldboys] Feminism today

Sorry for not replying sooner, am not supposed to access my personal email
from my workplace had to wait until I got home, and then had to wait until
children's homework etc is completed....

Re: Germaine Greer

No Connie, she didn't say that she thought feminists today had betrayed the
ideals of the 60's. But she implied that the changes that have occured in the
workplace over the last 20 years which have resulted in an increase in the
number of women being  employed in 'better' jobs, was in fact a superificial
balancing of powers that actually encourages  many 'feminists'  to have a
false sense of security. The implication being that sooner or later all the
issues of power, equality and rights will re-emerge and this could be quite
shocking when it is realised that the 'perceived' advances of the last
20-30years are not quite as advanced as originally thought. She expressed
concern.

I believe that this is true. Certainly, if I look back at my extremely
varied careers there does appear to me that more women are working within the
system to achieve professional gains than outside; and even then progression
to the very top remains rare. I wonder is this true of the art world? 'Any
gains in the 80's & 90's are arguably the result of the activism of the 60s &
70s

In this generation of 'pick-the-sex' of your baby technology - I wonder what
feminists today are creating for women of the future?

Debbie

Debbie