dsolomon on 10 Jul 2001 09:37:37 -0000

[oldboys] re:HAL JO HO HO

Dear Rachel c.s.,

RIGHT ON MATHILDE!  I'm with you and I too will be attending the HAL.
Also it is on the campus (Universiteit Twente) where the Dutch Art
Institute (www.dutchartinstitute.nl) is situated.

reConnie:
>what most women feel when they are entering the hacking scene (without
boyfriend hacker who brought her >there) is >an uneasiness and feeling
uncomfortable, because the hacker scene is purely male. THIS IS STRANGE.

Not that strange actually. Guys simply are more interested in the
MECHANICAL workings of things in a fiddly-blinder sort-of-way. I know this
comment will bring a anti-bio-deterministic RASH OF SHIT down upon my head
but, ala. I can accept difference without feeling excluded. Last HIP I
recorded the introduction of the PGP code into Europe. MY INTEREST. One
doesn't have to wait for an invitation to join in 'someone else's'
initiative. This you know well, Connie.

Re:above::: THIS DOESNT MEAN that women are ill-suited to working/coding
etc, it just means they may have natural aptitudes which allow them to do
the same things in a different way. Of course we are all fans of diversity
in perspective and skills, aren't we?

Interesting gender experiment: (recently re-exposed in a BBC documentary
on children growing up by that 'famous' pediatrician Lord So and So - I
think its called Child of Our Time) where adults were asked to draw a
bicycle. It seems it is possible to GENERALLY indicate someone's gender by
the way they draw a bike.  - meaning certain trends were visible in
drawings of bikes indicating an interest in different aspects of a
bicycle. Cool for the differences, BFD in using this as a defence for
maintaining MONOCULTURE.

SO WHOSE RESPONSIBILOITY IS IT THEN TO DEGRADE MONOCULTURE? My vote goes
with : the folks that want to join in and not with the folks that created
it in the first place. WHY? Obviously they (the folks who created the
monoculture) have no aptitutde for inclusion, or there wouldn't
be monoculture in the first place. Let's be practical. If youre INTO
inclusion, and being included GET DOWN TO IT instead of winging. We're
NOT where we were 20 years ago.

Please Ladies, draw a bike.

Warm regards,

Debra Solomon

>    Anybody going to the Hackers At Large festival in  August?
http://www.hal2001.org/ J If I know there will be substantial female
representation I may be tempted, but the idea of being surrounded by
over-excited,Jself-congratulatory male geeks makes me feel queasy. J
rachel