marion baruch on 17 Jul 2001 09:39:52 -0000

[oldboys] [Fwd: [borderhack] Bay Area Borderhack 2.0 Meeting Wednesday at the Black Cat]

Forward everywhere...  No Person Is Illegal! Delete the Border.
[For Registration Form, Please Download the Enclosed MS-Word File]

*********************************Borderhack
2.0**********************************
****August 24 - 26                  The Playas de Tijuana, Tijuana, Mexico****

The first Bay Area Borderhack 2.0 planning meeting will be Wednesday, July 18
at 7PM.  The meeting will be at the Black Cat (Starhawk's House) at 2852
Folsom Street, between 24th and 25th Sts on Folsom (near 24th Street BART).
Bellow is information about the event including how to donate to making the
event happen and how to register as an individual or group. Registration is
free.

For more information, please check: http://www.de-lete.tv/borderhack

**August 24-26 Tijuana Borderhack festival**
*US contact: ActionLA/US-Mexico Border Action Committee

Address:
ActionLA
c/o Borderhack Festival
4167 S. Normandie Ave.,
Los Angeles, CA 90037
(For donations, write check to: ActionLA/SEE, on subject line write:
Borderhack Festival)

e-mail: Borderactions@aol.com

Tel: (877)258-1524 (toll-free)

*Tijuana contact: cybercholito@hotmail.com, MR_haro@mac.com

*Please Register in Advance! No application fee for the event and the camp,
donations are greatly appreciated! Please bring your sleeping bag and tent!
[You can download the MS-Word Registration Form]

Borderhack is a festival/campament that is part of the "kein mensch ist
illegal" chain of bordercamps. It will take place in Tijuana on August 24, 25
and 26 of the year 2001. The location of the camp will be in the Playas de
Tijuana part of Tijuana, Mexico, in front of the actual border fence in the
Mexican side that divides the third and the first world, and also where it
penetrates the ocean. The camp will offer net art, photograph exhibits,
border cinema, ISDN connections, conferences and workshops, not to mention
the participation of the global hacktivist and net-media art community from
both side of the US-Mexico border.

Last year we proposed to hack the border, get to know it, try to discover
what it represents and the role that we get to play in it. To understand why
this relationship between both sides of the borderline have been stressed and
hurt by some sectors of the population that have encouraged violence and
racism, but also understand that estrange attraction that bind us together.

Now it's more clear that we are all illegal, the only thing that protect us
are the circumstances. The obsolete function of the fence it's a fact, being
forced to mutate itself, and do the upgrade to genocidal trap and
economic/political control mechanism.

Tijuana and San Diego are one city, that like Berlin, got divided by
accidents and things of destiny.

Women, men, children, seniors, they keep dying by the dozens in their attempt
to migrate towards the "other side", but what they are relay searching for
it's a way to run away from a country that not only doesn't offer them
anything, but after denying them opportunities, it won't let them have a job
that will give them the choice of living with dignity.

Each time is more obvious that it's time to press "delete", and dissolve the
border; that is the challenge. We are conscience of the force that holds
together the border dynamic, because of that it's important to explore
creative ways to fool it, and search loops in the legal systems and in the
new electronic media, and mobilize our points of struggle.

One more time we call to a Borderhack, so that together we search for the
ways that will help us find the key that will let us erase this historical
accident….
DELETE THE BORDER!

August 24 - 26                  The Playas de Tijuana, Tijuana, Mexico

[Mexico]
cybercholito@hotmail.com,    MR_haro@mac.com
[U.S.A.]
BorderActions@aol.com, Tel: (877)258-1524 (toll-free)
http://www.de-lete.tv/borderhack

**  distributed via <oldboys list>: no commercial use without permission
**  <oldboys list> is an unmoderated mailing list for global cyberfeminism
**  to remove your address from the list, send a message to: