Josephine Berry on 18 Sep 2001 16:19:11 -0000

[oldboys] counter to Counterpunch

----------
> Date: Sat, 15 Sep 2001 12:04:15 -0400
> From: Yoshie Furuhashi <furuhashi.1@osu.edu>
> Subject: Re: "fake" footage and rejoicing palestinians
>
> Jeffrey Fisher posted:
>
>> fyi, this from the electronicintifada site re: "fake" cnn footage and media
>> use of images of celebration.
>>
>> apologies if i missed this being posted already.
>>
>> http://electronicintifada.net/new.html
>>
>> Various rumours circulating on the Internet -- alleging that the Reuters
>> footage depicting Palestinians celebrating in the wake of the attacks in the
>> U.S. was in fact footage from a different event -- are false. Still images,
>> such as the Associated Press image above, were additionally shot by
>> photographers from a variety of wire service agencies.
>>
>> Reuters' International Editor, Anthony Williams, confirmed to The Electronic
>> Intifada that "This material was shot on Tuesday. The suggestion that it was
>> old is false." Mike Hanna, Jerusalem bureau chief of CNN, the media
>> organisation named in many versions of the rumour, told us that, "I can
>> unequivocally state that the footage shown on CNN of a small group of
>> Palestinians "celebrating" was shot by a Reuters crew in East Jerusalem on
>> Tuesday. The allegation that it was shot at any other time is contemptible."
> <snip>
>
> Thanks for posting this, Jeffrey.  I've forwarded it to many lists &
> individuals.
>
> Yoshie

the divine diva of websites  ->- www.metamute.com -<- has risen again

                                       * ->- www.ouimadame.org -<- * to follow

**  distributed via <oldboys list>: no commercial use without permission
**  <oldboys list> is an unmoderated mailing list for global cyberfeminism
**  to remove your address from the list, send a message to: