Rena Tangens on Fri, 3 May 2002 23:05:28 +0200 (CEST)

[oldboys] Lecture on Privacy/Hacking New York May9

Hi obn -- especially those in New York -- (sorry for crossposting)

in the course of the "Open_Source_Art_Hack" event at the New Museum
in New York (curated by Jenny Marketou and Steve Dietz)
I will do a lecture on Pretty Good Privacy, the Big Brother Awards,
and present our latest hack: The Privacy Card.

The lecture will be on Thursday, May 9, 6:30 pm at the New Museum,
583 Broadway, New York NY 10012. For full program see
   http://www.newmuseum.org or
   http://netartcommons.walkerart.org

Would be great to meet some of obn from New York! I will stay
for two weeks and I would love to meet and exchange ideas on art and
hacking, privacy, civil rights and democracy as well as on architecture
and city planning.

You can reach me by mail
          until May 6th: rena@bionic.zerberus.de
     then for two weeks: renaontour@web.de

I donŽt know my mobile phone number for the States yet (IŽll get a
prepaid card). Or you can contact me via Jenny who will be my host
the first week. (jmarketou@yahoo.com)

Looking forward to seeing you

                              //Rena Tangens

Some more information:

RENA TANGENS Pretty Good Privacy lecture

German hacker Rena Tangens will present a lecture entitled Pretty Good
Privacy as part of the public programs series accompanying the show. This
lecture will cover the  Big Brother Awards, presented to organizations,
institutions, or individuals who invade people s privacy, or leak data to
third parties.  Tangens will also discuss the German manual of the
encryption program Pretty Good Privacy, talk about European concepts of
privacy and present her latest hack: the Privacy Card.

Thursday May 9, 6:30 pm

New Museum
583 Broadway (between Houston and Prince Streets in SoHo)
New York NY 10012
Telephone: 212-2191222

RENA TANGENS Bio

Rena Tangens, artist and networking pioneer, lives and works in
Bielefeld, Germany. Experimental film, video and free radio work.
Founded the gallery and art project "Art dŽAmeublement" together with
colleague padeluun in 1984. Online since 1987. She brought the first
modem to the international art exhibition documenta in 1987 and women
(haecksen) into the hackers association Chaos Computer Club.
1988 artist in residence in Canada.

Rena Tangens is co-founder of the association FoeBuD e.V., the
BIONIC bbs and the independent networks Z-Netz and CL in Germany and
Zamir Transnational Network (set up during the war in former
Yugoslavia from 1992). Also worked in software development for
the ZERBERUS bbs program. Advancement of Privacy as precondition for
living democracy and respect of the network as a social Space has been
focus of her work since. Research on androcentrism in the networks.

She is curator of the ongoing monthly culture and technology event
PUBLIC DOMAIN since 1987. Published with FoeBuD the first manual on
PGP encryption in German language. Since 2000 organizer and jury
member of the Big Brother Awards ("the oscars for surveillance")
in Germany.

Artist s web site:	  http://www.tangens.de
Organisation s web site:  http://www.foebud.org
Pretty Good Privacy:	  http://www.foebud.org/texte/presse/artikel
Big Brother Awards:	  http://www.bigbrotherawards.de/en/
Privacy Card:             http://www.foebud.org/texte/aktion/privacy-card

--
    Rena Tangens, c/o Art d'Ameublement, Marktstr. 18, D-33602 Bielefeld