Sandra Becker on Thu, 18 May 2000 22:02:34 +0200 (CEST)

[rohrpost] Wtr: Menschenrechte

>>  Thema:    Fw: (Fwd) Re: Condition of women in Afghanistan]
>>
>>  Bitte leitet die Email weiter und unterschreibt.
>>  > >Subject: Condition of women in Afghanistan
>>  > >
>>  > >Dear Friends,
>>  > >
>>  > >Please do not ignore this E-mail. This is something that we as women
and
>>  > >essentially as human beings need to support - I don't know if this is
>>  > >going to help but take 3 minutes out of your life to do your part. Ma
>>  > >dhu, the government of Afghanistan, is waging a war upon women. Since
>>  > >the Taliban took power in 1996, women have had to wear bureau and have
>>  > >been beaten and stoned in public for not having the proper attire, even
>>  > >if this means simply not having the mesh covering in front of their
>>  > >eyes. One woman was beaten to death by an angry mob of fundamentalists
>>  > >for accidentally exposing her arm while she was driving. Another was
>>  > >stoned to death for trying to leave the country with a man that was not
>>  > >a relative. Women are not allowed to work or even go out in public
>>  > >without a male relative; professional women such as professors,
>>  > >translators, doctors,lawyers, artists and writers have been forced from
>>  > >their jobs and stuffed into their homes. Homes where a woman is present
>>  > >must have their windows painted so that she can never be seen by
>>  > >outsiders They must wear silent shoes so that they are never heard.
>>  > >Women live in fear of their lives for the slightest misbehavior.
Because
>>  > >they cannot work, those without male relatives or husbands are either
>>  > >starving to death or begging on the street, even if they hold Ph.D.s.
>>  > >Depression is becoming so widespread that it has reached emergency
>>  > >levels. There is no way in such an extreme Islamic society to know the
>>  > >suicide rate with certainty, but relief workers are estimating that the
>>  > >suicide rate among women, who cannot find proper medication and
>>  > >treatment for severe depression and would rather take their lives than
>>  > >live in such conditions, has increased significantly. There are almost
>>  > >no medical facilities available for women. At one of the rare hospitals
>>  > >for women, a reporter found still, nearly lifeless bodies lying
>>  > >motionless on top of beds, wrapped in their bureau, unwilling to speak,
>>  > >eat, or do anything, but slowly wasting away. Others have gone mad and
>>  > >were seen crouched in corners, perpetually rocking or crying, most of
>>  > >them in fear. One doctor is considering, when what little medication
>>  > >that is left finally runs out, leaving these women in front of the
>>  > >president's residences a form protest. It is at the point where the
term
>>  > >"human rights violations" has become an understatement. Husbands have
>>  > >the power of life and death over their women relatives, especially
their
>>  > >wives, but an angry mob has just as much right to stone or beat a
woman,
>>  > >often to death, for exposing an inch of flesh or offending them in the
>>  > >slightest way. Women enjoyed relative freedom, to work, dress generally
>>  > >as they wanted, and drive and appear in public alone until only 1996.
>>  > >The rapidity of this transition is the main reason for the depression
>>  > >and suicide; women who were once educators or doctors or simply used to
>>  > >basic human freedoms are now severely restricted and treated as
subhuman
>>  > >in the name of right-wing fundamentalist Islam. It is not their
>>  > >tradition or 'culture,' but it is alien to them, and it is extreme even
>>  > >for those cultures where fundamentalism is the rule. Everyone has a
>>  > >right to a tolerable human existence, even if they are women in a
Muslim
>>  > >country. If we can threaten military force in Kosovo in the name of
>>  > >human rights for the sake of ethnic Albanians, citizens of the world
can
>>  > >certainly express peaceful outrage at the oppression, murder and
>>  > >injustice committed against women by the Taliban.
>>  > >STATEMENT: In signing this, we agree that the current treatment of
>>  > >women in Afghanistan is completely UNACCEPTABLE and deserves action by
>>  > >the United Nations and that the current situation overseas will not be
>>  > >tolerated. Women's Rights is not a small issue anywhere, and it is
>>  > >UNACCEPTABLE for women in 1999 to be treated as subhuman and so much as
>>  > >property. Equality and human decency is a RIGHT not a freedom, whether
>>  > >one lives in Afghanistan or elsewhere.

1) Suzanne Dathe, Grenoble,	France 2) Laurence COMPARAT, Grenoble,France 3)
Philippe MOTTE,
>>  > >Grenoble, France 4) Jok FERRAND, Mont St Martin, France 5) Emmanuelle
>>  > >PIGNOL, St Martin d'Heres, FRANCE 6) Marie GAUTHIER, Grenoble,
FRANCE 7)
>>  > >Laurent VESCALO, Grenoble,FRANCE 8) Mathieu MOY, St Egreve, FRANCE 9)
>>  > >Bernard BLANCHET, Mont St Martin, FRANCE 10) Tassadite FAVRIE,
Grenoble,
>>  > >FRANCE 11) Loica GODARD, St Ismier, FRANCE 12) Benedicte PASCAL,
>>  > >Grenoble, FRANCE 13) Khedaidja BENATIA, Grenoble, FRANCE 14)
>>  > >Marie-Therese LLORET, Grenoble,FRANCE 15) Benoit THEAU, Poitiers,
FRANCE
>>  > >16) Bruno CONSTANTIN, Poitiers, FRANCE 17) Christian COGNARD, Poitiers,
>>  > >FRANCE 18) Robert GARDETTE, Paris, FRANCE 19) Claude CHEVILLARD,
>>  > >Montpellier, FRANCE 20) gilles FREISS, Montpellier, FRANCE 21) Patrick
>>  > >AUGEREAU, Montpellier, FRANCE. 22) Jean IMBERT, Marseille, FRANCE 23)
>>  > >Jean-Claude MURAT, Toulouse, France 24) Anna BASSOLS, Barcelona, Spain
>>  > >25) Mireia DUNACH, Barcelona, Spain 26) Michel VILLAZ, Grenoble, France
>>  > >27) Pages Frederique, Dijon, France 28) Rodolphe FISCHMEISTER,
>>  > >Chatenay-Malabry, France 29) Francois BOUTEAU, Paris, France 30)
Patrick
>>  > >PETER, Paris, France 31) Lorenza RADICI, Paris, France 32) Monika
>>  > >Siegenthaler, Bern, Switzerland 33) Mark Philp, Glasgow, Scotland 34)
>>  > >Tomas Andersson, Stockholm, Sweden 35) Jonas Eriksson, Stockholm,
Sweden
>>  > >36) Karin Eriksson, Stockholm, Sweden 37) Ake Ljung, Stockholm, Sweden
>>  > >38) Carina Sedlmayer, Stockholm, Sweden 39) Rebecca Uddman, Stockholm,
>>  > >Sweden 40) Lena Skog, Stockholm, Sweden 41) Micael Folke, Stockholm,
>>  > >Sweden 42) Britt-Marie Folke, Stockholm, Sweden 43) Birgitta Schuberth,
>>  > >Stockholm, Sweden 44) Lena Dahl, Stockholm, Sweden 45) Ebba Karlsson,
>>  > >Stockholm, Sweden 46) Jessica Carlsson, Vaxjo, Sweden 47) Sara
>>  > >Blomquist, Vaxjo, Sweden 48) Magdalena Fosseus, Vaxjo, Sweden
>>  > >49) Charlotta Langner, Goteborg, Sweden 50) Andrea Egedal, Goteborg,
>>  > >Sweden 51) Lena Persson, Stockholm, Sweden 52) Magnus Linder, Umea
>>  > >,Sweden 53) Petra Olofsson, Umea, Sweden 54) Caroline Evenbom, Vaxjo,
>>  > >Sweden 55) Asa Pettersson, Grimsas, Sweden 56) Jessica Bjork, Grimsas,
>>  > >Sweden 57) Linda Ahlbom Goteborg, Sweden 58) Jenny Forsman, Boras,
>>  > >Sweden 59) Nina Gunnarson, Kinna, Sweden 60) Andrew Harrison, New
>>  > >Zealand 61) Bryre Murphy, New Zealand 62) Claire Lugton, New Zealand
>>  > >63) Sarah Thornton, New Zealand 64) Rachel Eade, New Zealand 65) Magnus
>>  > >Hjert, London, UK 67) Madeleine Stamvik, Hurley, UK 68) Susanne Nowlan,
>>  > >Vermont, USA 69) Lotta Svenby, Malmoe, Sweden 70) Adina Giselsson,
>>  > >Malmoe, Sweden 71) Anders Kullman, Stockholm, Sweden 72) Rebecka Swane,
>>  > >Stockholm,Sweden 73) Jens Venge, Stockholm, Sweden
>>  > >74) Catharina Ekdahl, Stockholm, Sweden 75) Nina Fylkegard, Stockholm,
>>  > >Sweden 76) Therese Stedman, Malmoe, Sweden 77) Jannica Lund, Stockholm,
>>  > >Sweden 78) Douglas Bratt 79) Mats Lofstrom, Stockholm, Sweden 80) Li
>>  > >Lindstrom, Sweden 81) Ursula Mueller, Sweden 82) Marianne Komstadius,
>>  > >Stockholm, Sweden 83) Peter Thyselius, Stockholm, Sweden 84) Gonzalo
>>  > >Oviedo, Quito, Ecuador 85) Amalia Romeo, Gland, Switzerland 86)
>>  > >Margarita Restrepo, Gland, Switzerland 87) Eliane Ruster, Crans p.C.,
>>  > >Switzerland 88) Jennifer Bischoff-Elder, Hong Kong 89)Azita Lashgari,
>>  > >Beirut, Lebanon 90)Khashayar Ostovany, New York, USA 91)Lisa L Miller,
>>  > >Reno NV 92)Danielle Avazian, Los Angeles, CA
>>  > >93) Sara Risher, Los Angeles, Ca. 94) Melanie London, New York, NY 95)
>>  > >Susan Brownstein , Los Angeles, CA 96) Steven Raspa, San Francisco, CA
>>  > >97) Margot Duane, Ross, CA 98) Natasha Darnall, Los Angeles, CA 99)
>>  > >Candace Brower, Evanston, IL 100) James Kjelland, Evanston, IL 101)
>>  > >Michael Jampole, Beach Park, IL, USA 102) Diane Willis, Wilmette, IL,
>>  > >USA 103) Sharri Russell, Roanoke, VA, USA 104) Faye Cooley, Roanoke,
VA,
>>  > >USA 105) Celeste Thompson, Round Rock, TX, USA 106) Sherry Stang,
>>  > >Pflugerville, TX, USA 107) Amy J. Singer, Pflugerville, TX USA 108)
>>  > >Milissa Bowen, Austin, TX USA 109) Michelle Jozwiak, Brenham, TX USA
>>  > >110) Mary Orsted, College Station, TX USA 111) Janet Gardner,
Dallas, TX
>>  > >USA 112) Marilyn Hollingsworth, Dallas, TX USA 113) Nancy Shamblin,
>>  > >Garland. TX USA 114) K. M. Mullen, Houston, TX - USA 115) Noreen
Tolman,
>>  > >Houston, Texas - USA 116) Judy Bechtel, Merced, CA - USA
>>  > >117) Delores Iliff, FL, USA 118) Nicole Propper, FL, USA 119) Bonnie
>>  > >LaChance, FL, USA 120) JoAnn Blades, FL,USA 121) Pam Blades, FL, USA
>>  > >122) Louise Campbell, FL, USA 123) Marcy DeSanto, FL, USA 124) Donald
>>  > >Blades, FL,USA 125) Tom LaChance, FL, USA 126) Craig Huff, GA, USA
>>  > >127) Karen Huff, FL, USA 128) Heather Huff, GA, USA 129) Franki Silcox
>>  > >GA, USA 130) Karin Horn, TX, USA 131) Lara Nelson, OH, USA 132) Beth
>>  > >Pilous, OH, USA 133) Sarah Clare, OH, USA 134) Carla Roth, OH, USA
>>  > >135) Jenny Zukowski, MI, USA 136) Amanda Silic, MI, USA 137) Heather
>>  > >Gilroy, MD, USA 138) Kat Carrion, MD USA 139) Michelle Stryjewski, MD
>>  > >USA 140) Elizabeth H Stevens, OR, USA 141) Alice Stevens, OR, USA
>>  > >142) Tyler R. Monzie/ OR/ USA 143) Allea Martin, OR, USA 145) Jose
>>  > >Tancuan, Or, USA 146) Akia Woods, OR USA 147) Bernie Gardent, OR, USA
>>  > >148) Leslie Hall, OR, USA 149) Susan J. Woods, OR, USA 150 [Cegelnik,
>>  > >Dixie] , OR, USA 151 Susan Amburgey, OR, USA 152 Cindy Harboldt, OR,
USA
>>  > >153 Richard Rehm, CA, USA 154. Lyn Lindsay, CA, USA 155. Alma Gilligan,
>>  > >CA, USA 156. Maureen Lechwar, CA, USA 157. Leslie Morales, CA, USA 158.
>>  > >Marci Marcantonio, CA, USA 159. Jill Haskins, CA, USA
>>  > >160. Jacqueline Gouly, CA, USA 161. Janet Talbott, CA, USA 162. Manjula
>>  > >Subbiah, CA, USA 163. Susan Duncan, CA, USA 164. Blanca E. Reynoso, CA,
>>  > >USA 165. Ruth C. Reynoso,a Ca, USA 166. Phyllis H. Rawlins, Anaheim,
CA,
>>  > >USA 167. Lori Rice, Naples, Italy 168. Mina Giovannitti, Las Vegas, USA
>>  > >(Turkey) 169. Fred Giovannitti, Las Vegas, USA 170. Noelle Brunelle,
NV,
>>  > >USA 171. Kimberly A. Karl, NV, USA
>>  > >172. Alana Segall, NV, USA 173. Mark Leonard, NV, USA 174. Nancy
>>  > >Leonard, NV, USA 175. Troy Leonard, NV, USA 176. Robert Mock AZ. USA
>>  > >177. Patty Flanigan AZ, USA 178. William A Towne III, AZ, USA 179.
Ellen
>>  > >J. Matheson, Los Angeles, CA, USA 180. Theresa Leets, Los Angeles, CA,
>>  > >USA 181. G. Ahou Soomekh, Los Angeles, CA, USA 182. Ronith Herman, El
>>  > >Paso, TX 183. Lauren R. Stein, PA, USA 184. Michelle F. King, PA, USA
>>  > >185. Jere' Webb, CA, USA 186. Kim Anderson, CA USA 187. Kirsten
>>  > >Hinsdale, VA, USA 188. Ronald David, Wash, DC 189. Cheryl Barnes,
>>  > >Buffalo, NY 190. Dawne David, Wash DC, USA 191. Madhu Dutta New Delhi,
>>  > >India 192. Madhu Sen New Delhi, India 193. Alokparna, VA USA 194.
Anjali
>>  > >Dasgupta, MS USA 195. Tilottama Brahmachari, NJ, USA 196. Chandrima
>>  > >Datta Ray, MS, USA 197. Jaydip Datta Ray, MS, USA 198. Maria Florencia
>>  > >Vidano, MA, USA 199. Matteo Dufour,Genova, Italia 200. Francois Dufour,
>>  > >Lugano, Switzerland 201. Francesco Ricasoli, Firenze, Italia 202. Lena
>>  > >Larsson, Stockholm, Sweden 203. Katarina Wigle, Stockholm, Sweden 204.
>>  > >Petter Aberg, Stockholm, Sweden 205. Per-Anders Stensson, Uppsala,
>>  > >Sweden 206. Malin Martensson, Uppsala, Sweden
>>  > >207.Maria Carlstedt 208. Eli Cathrine Wilhelmsen, Uppsala, Sweden
>>  > >209.AnnaMaria Billing, Uppsala, Sweden 210. Christina Molnar, Uppsala,
>>  > >Sweden 211. Christina Bergmark, Stockholm, Sweden 212. Katarina Mimmi
>>  > >Spang, Stockholm, Sweden 213. Marta Terese Mornvik, Stockholm, Swede
>>  > >n214. Sofi Hakansson, Malmo, Sweden 215. Asa Grogarn Sol, Goteborg,
>>  > >Sweden 216. Anders Jonsson, Goteborg, Sweden 217. Asa Ericsson,
>>  > >Goteborg, Sweden 218. Elna Foleide Selle, Bergen, Norway 219.
>>  > >Brynjar Stautland, Bomlo, Norway 220. Berte Figenschou Amundsen,
>>  > >Trondheim, Norway 221. Marte Morkved-Romstad, Oslo, Norway 222. Kjersti
>>  > >Forbregd, Trondheim, Norway 223. Inger Margrethe Torgersen, Oslo,
Norway
>>  > >224. Lisbeth Skogstrand, Oslo, Norway 225. Ragnhild Skogstrand,
>>  > >Stokmarknes, Norway 226. Hanne Husaas, Lier, Norway 227. Helena
>>  > >Wikstrom, Lund, Sweden 228. Kimberly Rapport, Ca, USA 229. Kristie
>>  > >Bennett, San Jose, CA, USA 230. Debi Di Bias, Santa Monica, CA, USA
>>  > >231. Whitney Allen, San Francisco, CA USA 232. Kaaren Shalom, Los
>>  > >Angeles, CA USA 233. Gretchen German, Los Angeles, CA USA 234. Susan
>>  > >Peretz, Los Angeles, CA USA 235. Caryn West, Los Angeles, CA. USA
>>  > >236. Mary Dowd, St. Petersburg, Fl. USA 237. Joanne Cordaro, St.
>>  > >Petersburg, FL USA 238. Barbara Bahr, St. Petersburg, FL USA 239.
Serena
>>  > >Leland, Arlington, VA USA 240. Rena L. Pugh, Skopje, Macedonia 241.
>>  > >Meredith L. Aikman, Bangkok, Thailand 242. Felicia Wong, Bangkok,
>>  > >Thailand 243. Kelly Kulzer, Minnesota, USA 244. Rebecca Kulzer,
>>  > >Minnesota, USA 245. Myrna Ohmann, Minnesota, USA 246. Jennifer
>>  > >Rapatz-Harr, Minnesota, USA 247. Dana Viswanathan, Minnesota, USA
>>  > >248. Geri Swanson, Minnesota, USA 249. JoAnn Lawinger, Minnesota, USA
>>  > >250.Teri Barnett, Minnesota, USA 251. Joe Barnett, MInnesota, USA
>>  > >252. Natalie Burns, MN, USA 253. Emma Burns, MN, USA 254. Gracie Burns,
>>  > >MN, USA 255. Laura Meyer, MN, USA 256. Nicole McDonough, MN, USA 257.
>>  > >Kristina Lanier, MN, USA 258. Lisa Heine, MN, USA 259. Gina Heine, MN,
>>  > >USA 260. Shelly Grigia, MN, USA 261. Tracy Gerber, MN, USA 262. Andrea
>>  > >Arnold, MN, USA 263. Jacki Christopher, MN, USA 264. Sara Wagner,
MN,USA