Oliver Grau on 9 May 2001 20:46:40 -0000

[rohrpost] "Electronic Maple"

The NY Center for Media Arts cordially invites you to our opening exhibition
"Electronic Maple: Human Language and Digital Culture in Contemporary Art"

Opening Reception: Saturday, May 19th, 2001, 5 - 9pm

Performance: Jussara (5pm), Sin Cha Hong (7pm)
"Electronic Maple" will include works by Thomas Bolt & Sebastian Currier,
Candice Breitz, Mat Collishaw, Masaki Fujihata, Soocheon Jheon, Eduardo
Kac, Tony Oursler and Nam June Paik.

ADDRESS:
New York Center for Media Arts
45-12 Davis Street
Long Island City, NY 11101
Tel. (718) 472 9414
Fax (718) 472 4296
www.nycmediaarts.org
-------------------------------
Electronic Maple
Human Language and Digital Culture in Contemporary Art
Opening Reception: Saturday, May 19th, 2001, 5 - 9pm
Performance: Jussara (5pm), Sin Cha Hong (7pm)
The New York Center for Media Arts is pleased to announce our opening
exhibition Electronic Maple. This exhibition brings together artists from
America, Asia and Europe, who address the relationship between art &
technology through diverse media including video, laser, internet
installation and electronic music performance. Electronic Maple will
include works by Thomas Bolt & Sebastian Currier, Candice Breitz, Mat
Collishaw, Masaki Fujihata, Soocheon Jheon, Eduardo Kac, Tony Oursler and
Nam June Paik.
Electronic Maple presents a stimulating vision of contemporary art, as it
harnesses digital media not simply as a creative tool, but as a means of
bringing new dimensions to artistic expression. Digital technologies offer
myriad capabilities for transforming images, space, data and sound. A
generation ago, it was common to describe digital technology and humans in
terms of opposition, as incommensurable worlds of object and subject. But
in today’s world, where media technology is now a part of our everyday
environment, this is no longer the case. Digital technology and human
expression have interpenetrated to an unprecedented degree, and the
mechanical has become more organic and the human more technological as a
consequence.
For the artists exhibiting in Electronic Maple, the exploration of such
mutual experiences forms a common goal. How is human subjectivity enabled
through digital technology? What do new media make possible and impossible
for being and experience? These questions become pertinent as media
technologies mature into a state of self-evident presence in art, no longer
mere seeds of potential, but a spreading tree whose blossoms the artists
represented here have begun to harvest. Digital technologies not only
create new forms and styles for artistic expression, but also generate new
conditions of possibility for our consciousness and experience. Perhaps one
of the greatest challenges facing artists today consists not in the
decision to utilize new media, but to fully articulate and manifest what
digital media mean for the nature of the human expression. Electronic Maple
follows numerous artists involved in such experiments, creating works of
art & technology which extend our understanding both of the present moment
and of our own condition in a media-infused world.
For further information, please contact Yunah Jung or Tanja Weingärtner at
(718) 472 9414

www.arthistory.hu-berlin.de/arthistd/mitarbli/og/og.html
www.prometheus-bildarchiv.de