Volker Grassmuck on 19 Jul 2001 12:27:33 -0000

[rohrpost] First Monday conference

                             CONFERENCE ANNOUNCEMENT
                   FM 1 NEW DEFINITIONS: VALUE COMMUNITY SPACE
                 November 4-6, Heerlen/Maastricht, The Netherlands
                      http://www.infonomics.nl/newdefinitions/
                     ---------------------------------------

                              Please distribute!

The impact on society of the technologies of "digitisation" has transcended
the limits of any single discipline. It is universal and ubiquitous,
affecting everything. But how does this digitisation affect our basic
concepts about society - such as value, community, law, space?

This conference will bring together the world's leading thinkers and doers
in various fields - from anthropology to law, economics to information
technology - to ask: What, if anything, is new about the way we redefine
our understanding of these concepts?

Topics covered include:
----------------------

- notions of value, non-monetary economic activity,
- measurement without prices, free software
- the meaning of money, electronic currencies

- communities, social networks
- reputation, trust and identity
- formal and informal law, dissappearing borders and Internet jurisdiction

- space and navigation
- political space, government, new media and freedom
- geographical space, access, impact and inequality

Format and speakers
-------------------

This conference is uniquely designed to contrast opinions from different
disciplines in sessions linked by common themes: Value, Community, Space. A
special Crosstalk session each day brings together participants from the
different themes in debate, to elicit a broader understanding of the issues
that face us.

The conference emerges from First Monday's reputation as a source of
quality ideas and research on digitisation and society. Beginning with
keynote presentations from two of First Monday's well-known editorial board
members: Esther Dyson and Anthony Rutkowski, this conference draws on First
Monday's long list of authors, some of the foremost thinkers in their
fields. Confirmed speakers include

Wilfred Dolfsma, International Institute of Infonomics
Paul Duguid, Xerox Palo Alto Research Center
Kasper Edwards, Technical University Denmark
Andreas Harsono, Institute for Studies of Freeflow of Information, Jakarta
Leo van Hove, Vrije Universiteit Brussel
Bernardo Huberman, Hewlett-Packard Sand Hill Labs
Bernt Hugenholtz, Institute for Information Law, Amsterdam University
Christopher Kelty, Rice University, Houston
Bonnie Nardi, Agilent Technologies Inc
Bruce Perens, Open Source evangelist, Hewlett-Packard,
David Post, Temple University School of Law
Howard Rheingold, author, "The Virtual Community"
Richard Rogers, University of Amsterdam
Richard Wiggins, Michigan State University

Who should attend
-----------------

This conference will offer insights into issues that are critical to
economic, social and technological development in Europe as well as
worldwide. It will appeal to everyone concerned with the emerging
understanding of digitization and its impact on society, policy and
business. We expect as participants academics, corporate officers,
government policy makers, thinkers and activists from around the world.

Registration
------------

Online registration and hotel reservation forms, as well as the conference
programme are available at http://www.infonomics.nl/newdefinitions/

The conference is jointly organised by First Monday - the peer reviewed
journal of the Internet (www.firstmonday.org) and the International
Institute of Infonomics (www.infonomics.nl). For more information and
sponsorship opportunities please contact Conference Coordinator Kamini
Aisola, k.aisola@kaiaconsult.com

   Wizards of OS 2 -- offene Kulturen & Freies Wissen
   October 11-13, Haus der Kulturen der Welt Berlin
   http://wizards-of-os.org

   http://waste.informatik.hu-berlin.de/Grassmuck

rohrpost - deutschsprachige Liste fuer Medien- und Netzkultur
Archiv: http://www.nettime.org/rohrpost Info: http://www.mikro.org/rohrpost
Ent/Subskribieren: http://post.openoffice.de