lerone on 13 Sep 2001 11:52:40 -0000

[rohrpost] falsche Medienbilder?!

Das war auf Indymedia in der Newswire...
da die Politik wohl eh nicht auf den Mailinglists
gemacht wird, dachte ich ich enthalte mich davon
mehr Material (oder Kommentare) zu Posten und
poste nur das was "irgendwie" mit den Themen
der Liste zu tun hat - in Zeiten wo klar wird, dass
es keine getrennten diskursiven Felder gibt, die
Welt kein Code und kein Text ist, wenn es um
Politik und menschliche Geschichte geht...
gruß

CNN USING 1991 FOOTAGE of celebrating
Palistinians to manipulate you (english)
by Marcio 10:32pm Wed Sep 12 '01 (Modified on
2:17am Thu Sep 13 '01) - Indymedia.org
Newswire
http://www.indymedia.org/front.php3?article_id=63
288
I'd like to add some ideas from here, down south.

There's an important point in the power of press,
specifically the power of CNN.

All around the world we are subjected to 3 or 4
huge news distributors,
and one of them - as you well know - is CNN. Very
well, I guess all of
you have been seeing (just as I've been) images
from this company. In
particular, one set of images called my attencion:
the Palestinians
celebrating the bombing, out on the streets,
eating some cake and making
funny faces for the camera.

Well, THOSE IMAGES WERE SHOT BACK IN
1991!!! Those are images of
Palestinians celebrating the invasion of Kuwait!
It's simply
unacceptable that a super-power of
cumminications as CNN uses images
which do not correspond to the reality in talking
about so serious an
issue.

A teacher of mine, here in Brazil, has videotapes
recorded in 1991, with
the very same images; he's been sending emails
to CNN, Globo (the major
TV network in Brazil) and newspapers,
denouncing what I myself classify
as a crime against the public opinion. If anyone of
you has access to
this kind of files, serch for it. In the meanwhile, I'll
try to 'put my
hands' on a copy of this tape.

But now, think for a moment about the impact of
such images. Your people
is hurt, emotionally fragile, and this kind
broadcast have very high
possibility of causing waves of anger and rage
against Palestinians.
It's simply irresponsible to show images such as
those.

Finally, I'd like to say that we all regret and
condemn all that has
happened in the last days; but Nikos has a point
here. I really don't
want to be misunderstood here, but the truth is
that US government had
shown no respect for other countries in the last
decades. In the 60s and
70s they had halped lots of military coups
throughout the world
(including Brazil in 64). Later, with Reagan and
Bush Father, the
Washington Consensus have been demolishing
the bases of our economies,
making us more and more dependant (and, many
of us, prehocupied with
this situation).

Your current president quickly made things worse:
Kioto Protocol, Star
Wars, Colombia Plan, the exchange of rain forest
for pieces of external
debt, tha abandonment of the position of third
party in negotiations
between IRA and England, and between
Palestinians and Israel. All those
mistakes in US external politics made your
country more hatred than
before, and, of course, more vulnerable.

Listen, I'm NOT justifying the terrorist actions that
took place in your
country; but it seems to me that, if your leaders
had come along another
path of thoughts and actions, you wouldn't be
suffering what you are
now.

Best regards, and the hope that everything is
resolved for the best of
all of us

Márcio A. V. Carvalho
State University of Campinas - Brazil

This video footage IS STIRRING UP HATRED - I
live in relatively peaceful northern California and
young people, even the teenage kids,are
commenting on how horrible the Palestinians are
to dance at the destruction. If this is true then the
news should leak out to as many places as you
can find. Propaganda needs to be exposed for
what it is before our damned "leadership" decides
to use bombs again,as they do ad nauseum.
Please confirm this fact and send out something
that we can use as anti-propaganda. It is so hard
to get the truth here. Thank you for alerting us.

www.awakenedwoman.com

I'm watching BBC World on my cable system in
the US and just saw the same celebration video
that has been broadcast on CNN and other US
network sources. Since the video has been the
same, it's entirely possible that the original
source for this is CNN and others are (implicitly)
complicit in the alleged subterfuge.

This either validates the video as being authentic
to recent events or invalidates some of the
neutrality that has been assigning to the BBC
elsewhere in related indymedia articles
compared to corporate US media interests.

Don't get me wrong, thoughts of the American film
_Wag the Dog_ have constantly run through my
head to the way that the US media can and are
manipulating the public and are being
manipulated by the US government. But this one
doesn't seem right to me.

CNN Fake scenes (english)
by Jenny 2:18am Thu Sep 13 '01
eugenia_gr2001@yahoo.com

I am a journalist in a greek radio station and I was
very interested in the article about the fake scenes
of CNN showing Palestinias in Israel celebrating
after the terror attack in New York.

I want to give to this new some extra publicity, but I
want to have some extra clues.

If someone of you knows something about this
story or has some evidence that the scenes were
from the archives of CNN, please contact with me
by e-mail.

Marcio: can you see about possibly having these
videos from '91 digitized and put online
somewhere? I'm sure those of us here would love
a good look at them. If it turns out that, yes, CNN
is using old footage for propaganda purposes...
then a scary new dimension would enter into what
is already a horrible, unnecessary mess.

rohrpost - deutschsprachige Liste fuer Medien- und Netzkultur
Archiv: http://www.nettime.org/rohrpost Info: http://www.mikro.org/rohrpost
Ent/Subskribieren: http://post.openoffice.de