Sven Guckes on Mon, 11 Mar 2002 13:30:04 +0100 (CET)

[rohrpost] Re: Update on the Center for the Public Domain

From: The Center for the Public Domain <racine@centerpd.org>
Forwarded-by: Stacey Mewborn   <stacey@centerpd.org>
Forwarded-by: Peter  Suber     <peters@earlham.edu>
Forwarded-by: Volker Grassmuck <vgrass@rz.hu-berlin.de>

Dear Friends,

The Center for the Public Domain passionately believes that
the scientific, artistic and entrepreneurial spirit of
our society relies on access to a robust public domain.
We recognize that the balance between intellectual property
rights and freely reusable knowledge is the basis of our
cultural heritage and scientific tradition. For the past
two years, the Center has invigorated the vibrant public
domain of knowledge part of the equation.

Since our inception as a venture philanthropic enterprise,
we have contributed to the founding of several organizations
that study, nurture and secure the health of the public
domain. We ve helped ensure the success of these institutions
through major gifts, grants and donations. We have built
partnerships, united key parties and supported programs that
strengthen the public community of shared knowledge and
culture across many sectors technology, law, medicine,
academic research, education, media and the arts.

Our job here is done. We are passing the torch to these
leaders who will carry on the Center's legacy. We'd like
to thank everyone who recognizes the importance of Sir
Isaac Newton's truth, "If I have seen further, it is by
standing on the shoulders of giants." We'd particularly
like to thank everyone who has helped the Center further
its mission over the past two years. It has been a blast.

Please nourish these organizations as they
carry this important work forward:

Public Knowledge
http://www.publicknowledge.org/

Creative Commons
http://www.creativecommons.org/

Center for the Study of the Public Domain
at Duke University School of Law
http://www.law.duke.edu/ip/

The Norman Lear Center
at University of Southern California
http://entertainment.usc.edu/

Berkeley Center for Law & Technology
http://www.law.berkeley.edu/institutes/bclt/

Consumer Project on Technology
http://www.cptech.org/

ibiblio at University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
http://www.ibiblio.org/

American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS)
http://www.aaas.org/

National Academy of Sciences
http://www4.nationalacademies.org/nas/nashome.nsf/

Future of Music Coalition (FMC)
http://www.futureofmusic.org/

Legal Information Institute
at Cornell University Law School
http://lii.law.cornell.edu/

Electronic Frontier Foundation (EFF)
http://www.eff.org/

Very Truly Yours,
The Center for the Public Domain

2525 Meridian Parkway | Suite 200
Durham, NC 27713
tel: 919.549.8388
fax: 919.549.8449
racine @ centerpd.org

              |So viele CTRL-Ns und CTRL-Os habe ich schon|
              |lange nicht mehr in einem Text gesehen! ;-)|
              |Und bei einer Textbreite von 65 sollte es  |
              |eigentlich jeder lesen koennen.  oder?     |
              |Sven                                       |
rohrpost - deutschsprachige Liste fuer Medien- und Netzkultur
Archiv: http://www.nettime.org/rohrpost Info: http://www.mikro.org/rohrpost
Ent/Subskribieren: http://post.openoffice.de