knowbotic.research on Tue, 7 May 2002 13:16:03 +0200 (CEST)

[rohrpost] PUBLIC DOMAIN SCANNER

MINDS OF CONCERN::breaking news
http://unitedwehack.ath.cx

PUBLIC DOMAIN SCANNER
http://unitedwehack.homeunix.net/minds3/

Why do we show the vulnerability of NGOs and media artists?

NGOs and media artists are an important part of the contemporary
enlargement and diversification of the political and cultural landscape.
They enact a reconstruction of the public domain in a globalised world.

The Internet is a crucial tool of these social and political agencies. It
facilitates a broad and potentially open system of communication and
information.

At the same time, there is an increasing awareness that the Internet is
encroached by concerns about security: data security, privacy, military
security, etc.

The dilemma of these security concerns is that they seek to protect a
public domain which is corrupted by the very attempts to secure their
functionality.

This dilemma is the central theme of this project. By scanning the ports of
the NGO's and media artists servers we are trying to pinpoint the dilemma
of NGOs and media artists having to protect an independent and progressive
political and social practice through security measures which are
constantly being tried, tested and attacked with ever new invasive tools.
In the project, we are using non-invasive SECURITY scanning tools, which
systems administrators alike use in order to detect security holes on the
Internet servers.

In this project, we determine the borders of what is and what is not legal
in the (US) public domain after patriot act
(http://unitedwehack.ath.cx/infoPatriotAct.htm), and we are trying to seek
out the areas of friction between an active construction of the public
domain, the expansive US legal system, and the debilitating dimensions of
an intensively patrolled, supposedly open communication and information
infrastructure like the Internet.