timo.linsenmaier on Tue, 14 May 2002 14:15:05 +0200 (CEST)

[rohrpost] SHIFT066 MAY 2002

   S H I F T 0 6 6    U P D A T E    M A Y   2 0 0 2
   http://www.shift.jp.org/066/

   C O N T E N T S

   C O V E R   I N T E R V I E W   W I T H   P E T E   F O W L E R

   A Londoner illustrator Pete Fowler made a cover design with
   Simon Pike for this issue. Pete has been creating unique
   characters, which make even adults want to collect them, in
   his original worlds called "Monsterism" and "Fowlerism."
   As he has provided his designs to Japanese clothing brand
   "Satan Arbeit," he has been participating in many projects in
   Japan. I have a good hunch that we will have many chances to
   come in touch with his tastes. B

   L O N D O N   A N D   B R I G H T O N   G U I D E - D V D

   The UK is a country where many creators' talents bloomed and
   they enthusiastically have been expanding their artistic
   fields. You might be one of them who have been inspired by its
   creativity. In this DVD, famous British creators Tomato and
   Red Design introduce the city of London and Brighton from
   their point of view.
   We interviewed with Mr Toru Hachiga, a producer of this DVD.
   Find out how he felt about London and Brighton as he were
   talking and walking with them.

   M / M ( P A R I S)

   M/M (Paris), based in Paris, has been dealing with many
   projects, such as music, culture and fashion, with various
   clients. You might know them as they participated in Gasbook
   by designing a T-shirt.
   Here is the interview of the designer unit that is the most
   notable unit in Paris.

   W X III : P A T L A B O R   T H E   M O V I E 3

   "Patlabor" is an animation story that draws the activities of
   "the second department of special vehicle" in the
   Metropolitan Police Department. The aim of this department
   is exercising strict control over the crimes that are
   committed by "labors (human robots" in the immediate future.
   This story had been presented in comic books, TV, videos and
   cinemas, and the third version for the cinema "WXIII" has been
   presented after the silence of nine years. Interviewed with
   Tori Miki, a scenario writer for this piece.

   N U M E R 0 2

   Numer organized for the second time from April 19 to April
   21 2002, at the Centre Pompidou a set of international
   conferences about interaction design. This event is titled
   "interaction design - look ahead". It was a place for words,
   invention, and communication. it was the crossroads of
   theory and practice, it was the sharing grounds of
   experiences, questions and insights. I met very different
   people such as designers, artists, researchers, teachers,
   journalists... etc.

   I N T E R A C T I V E   A R T   O N   T H E   W E B

   The web has limitless potential for getting people together
   to create experiments in interactive art and design. The
   online world of virtual meeting spaces allows people to take
   an experimental concept from idea to reality. The brilliant
   1000 Journals, Free Words, and 20 things are three innovative
   public art projects that use the web to converge people,
   creativity and concepts. Colliding the online and offline
   worlds, these experiments allow everyone to share their
   creativity.

   2 0 0 2   A S I A   D I G I T A L   A R T   A W A R D S

   "Asia Digital Art Awards" is a competition with the aim of
   sending intelligence and diffusing digital art & design from
   Asia to the world. It has been started since last year. The
   categories are divided into two: Category A "Digital Art &
   Design" and Category B "Entry Class". There are also several
   sections in each category. The winner for Asian Digital Art
   Grand Prize will receive a certificate of merit, a trophy and
   supplementary cash prize 1 million yen. The deadline is
   Thursday the 27th of June.

   N E X T 0 2

   A new form of art & culture event was held at Tokyo
   Metropolitan Museum of Photography in Ebisu, Tokyo on the
   2nd and the 3rd of May. Many people, who concern in
   promoting new media in Tokyo, gathered for this event.
   The featured artists are: Noboru Tsubaki + Hiroyuki Moriwaki,
   Ryota Kuwakubo, Motoshi Chikamori + Kyoko Kunou, minim++,
   Sachiko Kodama + Minako Takeno, Atsuko Uda, Phonton, Tomio
   Goto, Yoichiro Kawaguchi, Hiroo Iwata, Katsura Hattori,
   Tetsutoshi Tabata, Kazuna Iida, cell/66b, Kiri Matsuura,
   Tetsuya Mizuguchi and others.

   S M I L E   P O S T C A R D   P R O J E C T   2 0 0 2

   The postcards set from "Smile Postcard Project 2002", which
   was featured in Shift before, has released on the 15th of
   April.
   The aim of this project is to help women, children and
   refugees who are in a grave situation by design. The project
   is organised by Hoppe, a Japanese non-commercial
   organisation operated by freelance artists. Artists from
   seven countries participated in this project. One set contains
   45 postcards and will be sold.

   S A L   M A G A Z I N E   V O L. 5

   A visual free magazine "SAL magazine" has marked the second
   year since it was published. It has been sending you creative
   genres from graphic designs, arts, images, music, webs to
   architecture and the exhibition was held for the third issue.
   And now, the latest issue has just arrived in this April. The
   key word for this fifth issue is "Re:Newal".

   H Y P E R   I S L A N D   E X H I B I T I O N   2 0 0 2

   Hyper Island Exhibition 2002 will be held in Stockholm,
   Sweden. This is an exhibition by the students and for the
   students. Hyper Island itself is located on one of 33 islands
   in Karlskrona that is the southeastern part of Sweden.
   Twenty different prototypes, such as creative processes,
    game development, mobile interaction, creating brands and
   business models, will be showcased in this exhibition.

   D O T S O S O #03

   "Dot Soso" is a creative event to collaborate with creators
   from various genres. The next event will be held on Saturday
   the 1st of June at Soso Cafe that is produced by an on-line
   magazine Shift.
   It will feature a live performance of an Ainu musician Oki
   Kanou from Asahikawa City and an installation of a furniture
   designer Nanae Hara from Furniture Design Agra in Sapporo.
   We will provide you electronic lounge space with DJ and
   lighting installation by Nordform Crew.
   Dot Soso#3 will be held on 1st June.

   C U T   O U T   E X H I B I T I O N

   "Cut Out" teevee graphics exhibition has been held from
   Friday the 19th of April to Friday the 17th of May at Roppongi
   Hills Information Center/Think Zone, that has been opened
   near Roppongi Hills in this April. Ten new films with the
   theme of the peculiar scenery of Tokyo have been presented in
   this exhibition. Visitors are directly able to experience
   graphics with 16 projectors from the ceiling and the high
   quality motion floor system.

   R E S F E S T   2 0 0 2

   Resfest is a global touring digital film festival that has
   started since 1997. It is going to be the sixth time in this
   year. As usual, the tour will start from San Francisco in
   September to showcase original shortfilms, music videos and
   more that are sent from all over the world. The deadline is
   the 1st of June 2002.

   A R T  G A L L E R Y  B I N

   This month, new gallery space 'BIN' has launched on cooperation
   with Abahouse International. BIN is a showcase and repository
   for artworks in the digital era. It is intended as a place for
   artists to exhibit and archive their digital artworks.
   Future plans include compiling contributed artworks on
   CD-ROM  and in printed catalogues and mounting exhibitions
   in galleries worldwide.
   Featured 'Progress' made by Carbonatedjazz from Philadelphia
   in USA.

   T O K Y O   C U T I E   G I R L S

   Featuring street fashion photos in ever changing Tokyo. One
   of the popular features, 'Tokyo Cutie Girls' returns!

   I N F O - W O R L D  0 5 6

   What's happening around borderground? Correspondents for
   Shift dwelling on the edge of the world contribute monthly to
   Info-World. Shift presents your direct source from the
   borderground culture of the world.

   G R E E T I N G   C A R D

   Brand new greeting cards designed by Saas Fee are ready for
   you. This service is designed to give you the possibility of
   creating a personal greeting page on the internet for any
   special person you like. Please give it a try!

   S O S O   C A F E

   Soso Cafe is a gallery-cafe-restaurant produced by Shift. It
   is available to purchase the design products, which are dealt
   at Shift Factory, in the cafe. Also, an event will be held once
   a month as well as displaying works at the gallery space on
   the wall. The Internet service is available, too. Of course, you
   can order meals at the cafe.
   Dot Soso#3 will be held on 1st June.

   S E A R C H

   Now you can search any contents within Shift through Google.
   Where's that article? Where's the information you're looking
   for? Try it now!

   P R E S E N T

   Present SAL magazine, which is featured in this issue, for 10
   people. The deadline for both presents is the 31th of May.

   For further information regarding advertisement,
   please inquire at ad@shift.jp.org

   Also please visit our advertising sites at:

   http://www.coroflot.com
   http://book.mycom.co.jp/wd/en/

Taketo Oguchi for Shift Magazine
http://www.shift.jp.org