Eduardo Navas on Wed, 20 Jul 2005 17:57:52 +0200 (CEST)

<nettime-ann> [site] NAR monthlies

In this message from NAR:
http://netartreview.net

1) excerpts from monthly features
2) excerpts from weekly features

http://netartreview.net/monthly/0705_1.html
:NET.TEN:: \\Online Selections//
BY: Gustavo Romano
This month Net Art Review invites Gustavo Romano, a visual artist based
in
Argentina who has developed works in various media including
installation,
video, actions, and online art to recommend ten online resources to our
readers.

http://www.netartreview.net/monthly/0705_2.html
FEATURE.INTERVIEW: Lora McPhail and Michael Jantzen interview electronic
artist Ellen Jantzen about her new body of work entitled "Artificial
Evolution"
L&M: What do you think are some of the most important things in life
that
inspire you to do the work that you do? How do you develop your
hybridizations and/or elemental relationships?
EJ: First of all, I create to give meaning to my life. I draw
inspiration
from the natural world; rock formations, seedpods, nests; shapes that
resonate with reproduction, growth and repetition. I feel compelled to
work
in ways that create meaning. I pull from somewhere deep inside, not from
purely analytical space, so my hybridizations are very spontaneous and
uncalculated. They are developed subconsciously then meaning is assigned
as
I refine and title each piece.

FEATURE.REVIEW: Reflections on Conceptual Art and its relation to New
Media,
a month long conversation at Empyre
BY: Eduardo Navas
http://www.netartreview.net/monthly/0705_3.html
I was a guest speaker on Empyre during the month of April 2005. The
following text is a revision of two particular postings on Conceptual
art,
which I here use as launching platforms to reflect on the long debate
that
took place between Raul Ferrera Balanquet (CU/MX), Kate Southworth and
Patrick Simons(UK), and myself. Other invited guests included Lucrezia
Cippitelli (IT), Heidi Figueroa Sarriera (PR), Raquel Herrera Ferrer
(ES),
Lucas Bambozzi (BR), Andres Burbano (CO), and Joeser Alvarez.

The conversation was fruitful in various ways, ranging from abstract
theoretical propositions to more personal statements. The online
exchange
proved to be one of the most important experiences for me until now,
because
I learned that colonial ideology is more powerful than I expected. It is
thanks to Raul's intervention (this is how he considered his writing)
that I
realized this shortly after the discussion came to a close. Such
realization
will be the subject of reflection for the second part of this series. In
this first part I will focus on the premise proposed by Christina McPhee
for
the month long conversation.

http://www.netartreview.net/monthly/minima_marina.pdf
In an ongoing collaboration, this month NAR features another .PDF
originally
published in a minima:: No.12, a media and contemporary art publication
based in Spain. This month features "Subjective, intimate and public" by
Marina Zerbarini.</font></strong>

The idea that only a great amount of information inflowing in a dynamic
and
random form could give rise to which I looked for was achieved using
about
400 files, only some of which, never foreseeable nor programmable are
seen
by the observer. At the moment it is a "work in progress" in its 1st
phase.
It is a narrative project for the Internet, based on short stories by
James
Joyce, in which I develop the concepts of hypertext, randomness,
participation and simulation of living and dynamic systems in real time.
Through hypertext and by creating a matrix of potential
texts/images/sounds,
only some of which will be updated as a result of the interaction with
users, we try to make possible a different movement, a reading
transformed
into a set of problems, a reading/writing which multiplies the production
of
senses, the reader can interpret, arrange and structure it as regards
their
perception and production.

"Eveline" by Joyce narrates the story of a young woman who lives with
her
family in Dublin. The appearance of a man who would take her to live in
Buenos Aires sets in motion her fantasies on the happy life she could
have,
in opposition to her reality