Thorsten Schilling on Mon, 12 Dec 2005 20:36:46 +0100 (CET)

<nettime-ann> [ann] european press review

.

hallo nettime readers,

may be some of you are interested in the following.
if not, sorry for that announcement.

all the best
thorsten

------------------

The Federal Agency for Civic Education (Bundeszentrale für
politische Bildung/bpb, Germany) has been releasing a European
press review on each working day. Its aim is to follow European
debates on sociopolitical themes and to make them accessible to
a wider public. Print media from 26 European states are therefore
evaluated daily and a range of commented links is compiled. The
press review is released in three languages (German, English, French).

The press review is an offer of the Bundeszentrale für politische
Bildung/bpb in cooperation with Perlentaucher Medien GmbH
(Berlin) and Courrier International (Paris).

Here you will receive the current issue of this newsletter which is free
of charge. If you would like to continue to receive it you can register
at http://www.eurotopics.net.

and here is todays newsletter in english:

-----------------

European Press Review: euro|topics
Newsletter 08/12/2005

DOSSIER
Foreign Policy/ Europe: Europe and the USA

Does Europe need a common foreign policy to counterbalance the
USA? Is there still a place for transatlantic solidarity in the
21st century? Prompted by reports about CIA activities in Europe
and Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice's recent visit, European
commentators are posing these questions anew.

+++ Sweden - Göteborgs-Posten. The newspaper calls for European
countries to present a united front in their dealings with the
US. "It's frustrating that the US is being allowed to treat
Europe like its backyard. The need for joint foreign and
security policies is evident. We must pull ourselves together
and gather the courage to defend the common system of values we
are so fond of talking about. Only then will the US accept us as
an equal partner. If we continue with pussy-footing, we
shouldn't be surprised to be treated as if we were a bunch of
banana republics." +++
http://www.gp.se/gp/jsp/Crosslink.jsp?d=122&a=247348

+++ Slovakia - Domino Forum. In a lengthy interview Kurt Volker,
Principle US Deputy Assistent Secretary of State, also admits
there are problems in the relationship between Europe and the
US. "If the US government doesn't say it needs the cooperation
of Europe, Europe complains the US doesn't appreciate its
cooperation. If we say we need their cooperation, the Europeans
immediately suspect our motives." He urges both sides to form a
united front. "Only once we have achieved this can we talk
about spreading freedom and human rights. It's important to
give reforming forces all over the world orientation - for
example in the Middle East, where the aim is to strengthen the
peaceful voices of Islam against those of the extremists. In
this context, cooperation with Europe is very important." +++
http://www.dominoforum.sk

+++ Spain - El País. Vicente Palacio de Oteyza, coordinator of
the Observatory of Spanish Foreign Policy (OPEX), analyses the
future of relations between Europe and the United States.
"Today, Europe dreams about Kant but wakes up each