Eyal on Tue, 24 Oct 2006 04:22:02 +0200 (CEST)

<nettime-ann> Liminal Spaces - Exhibition and International Workshop

.
LIMINAL SPACES/ grenzraeumeÂ
GfZK Leipzig, 28 October 2006 â 21 January 2007Â
Exhibition opening: 27 October, from 19.00 pmÂ
Gallery Open: Tue-Sat 14.00 â 19.00 pm/ Sunday 12.00 â 19.00 pmÂ

Participating artists: Jumana Emil Abboud, Sameh Abboushi, Azra Aksamija,Â
Ayreen Anastas und Rene Gabri, Yochai Avrahami, Yael Bartana, PeterÂ
Friedl, Hagar Goren, Inass Hamad, Sandi Hilal and Alessandro Petti,Â
Khalid Horani, Sabine Horlitz and Oliver Clemens, Ligna, SuleimanÂ
Mansour, Oren Sagiv, Sala-Manca Group, Miri Segal, Sean Snyder,Â
Superflex, Simon WachsmuthÂ

Curatorial Advisors: Khalid Horani, Andreja Hribernik, Barbara Steiner,Â
in cooperation with InterdisziplinÃres Projekt-Forum (Wolfgang Knapp)Â
of the University of the Arts Berlin/ Institute for Art and ContextÂ

Curated by:ÂEyal Danon, Galit Eilat, Reem Fadda, Philipp MisselwitzÂ

LIMINAL SPACES/ grenzraeume originated from an initiative ofÂ
individual Palestinian and Israeli artists united in their opposition toÂ
the destructive dynamics and ever growing hardship and deprivationÂ
of basic civil and political rights endured by Palestinians under IsraeliÂ
occupation. An unprecedented network of artists, curators and culturalÂ
producers emerged, meeting often under difficult circumstances,Â
despite the harsh context of ever increasing violence and the completeÂ
collapse of the political peace process.Â
LIMINAL SPACES/ grenzraeume,Âa project by the Palestinian AssociationÂ
of Contemporary Arts (PACA),ÂRamallah, The Israeli Centre for Digital Art, HolonÂ
and the University ofÂthe Arts, Berlin wishes to support and strengthen this informalÂ
network and its stance. In March 2006, the project invited Palestinian,Â
European and Israeli artists, architects, academics and film makers toÂ
examine the condition of everyday space, borders, physicalÂ
segregation, cultural territories within a reality of occupation andÂ
challenge the possibilities of art as a catalyst for political and socialÂ
change. The focus of the project is the radically divided andÂ
fragmented urban region of Jerusalem/ Ramallah, which has become aÂ
laboratory for an urbanism of radical ethnic segregation. Curators,Â
cultural figures and artists developed this project through a series ofÂ
meetings and discussions that sought to generate a more activeÂ
political engagement of the art sector. Additionally, it is hoped thatÂ
through participation in the project, new possibilities of contact andÂ
exchange will emerge on an individual basis and beyond.Â

The project was launched with a conference in March, 2006, in theÂ
area of the Qalandiya checkpoint between Jerusalem and Ramallah,Â
followed by individual residencies which gave artists the opportunityÂ
to research tactics and artistic strategies for addressing theÂ
physiognomy of specific sites and their everyday operations and
adhering to exposing spatial and contextual politics of the IsraeliÂ
occupation. The perception of the frontiers were investigated, andÂ
their accessibility, permeability and potential as contact andÂ
communication zones challenged. Artists employed new forms ofÂ
creative practice adopting and subverting contemporary technologyÂ
and systems of media communication, underlining the central roleÂ
played by technology in the shaping of the physical borders.Â

The process resulted in over 20 new works, which are now beingÂ
shown to the public for the very first time. The future library spaces ofÂ
the Gallery for Contemporary Arts Leipzig (GfZK), including the alreadyÂ
acquired shelves of Vito Acconciâs library installation at DocumentaÂ
X, provide an unusual exhibition context and generate mutualÂ
resonances between LIMINAL SPACES/ grenzraeume as an evolvingÂ
archive of research and production in the Middle East and the GfZKâsÂ
declared ambition to build up a public library.Â

Screening program:Â

2 November 2006Â
20.00 pmÂÂÂCINEMA: >Trespassing<, selection of Israeli short filmsÂ
and videos curated by Eyal Danon: Artists without Walls, >April 1st<Â
(19'30'', 2004) //ÂÂAvi Mograbi, >Details 3&4< (9', 2004) // AnnanÂ
Tzukerman, >Anxious Escapism< (26', 2005) //ÂÂRuti Sela & Ma'ayanÂ
Amir, >Beyond guilt #2< (18', 2004) //ÂÂRuti Sela & Ma'ayan Amir,Â
>Alei Zahav after Aliza Begin< (5'30'', 2005) //ÂÂNira Pereg,Â
>Souvenir< (5', 2005) //ÂÂRuti Sela & Clil Nadav, >Loopolice< (6'55'',Â
2003). An event organized for the Friends of the GfZK Leipzig.Â

7 December 2006Â
20.00 pmÂÂCINEMA: >Pasolini Pa* Palestine< by Ayreen AnastasÂ
(Jerusalem, 2003). An event organized for the Friends of the GfZKÂ
Leipzig.Â

4 January 2007Â
20.00 pm CINEMA: >Quelques Miettes Pour Les Oiseaux - SomeÂ
Crumbs for the Birds< by Annemarie Jacir (France/ Jordan, 2005) andÂ
>Avenge But One Of My Two Eyes< by Avi Mograbi (Israel, 2005). AnÂ
event organized for the Friends of the GfZK Leipzig.

International Workshop (28.10 â 29.10)Â

The opening of the exhibition will be accompanied by an internationalÂ
workshop, which will explore political and social responsibilities of artÂ
production, discussing current trends that are changing the role ofÂ
institutions, artists, curators and activists. The conference will exploreÂ
the notion of 'responsibility' in the context of the Middle East -Â
characterised by the escalation of violence and violations of humanÂ
and civil rights, the continuation of the military occupation, theÂ
building of an apartheid wall and complete breakdown of the peaceÂ
process â as well as in the context of Post-Fordist Central EuropeÂ
where the erosion of social democratic principles challenges artistsÂ
and institutions to survive in a harsher social climate and fight for theÂ
acceptance and the engagement of a wider public.Â
In Hebrew, the word responsibility (acherayut) contains within it theÂ
word acher, which means âotherâ or âdifferent.â It also contains theÂ
word achrey, which means âafterâ or âfollowing an event or act.âÂÂInÂ
English, the word âresponsibilityâ contains within it the word âresponseâÂ
(originating from the old French responsun meaning âsomethingÂ
offered in returnâ). There is a delicacy in the English language throughÂ
prepositions following the word âresponsibilityâ as one can beÂ
responsible for something or responsible to someone. In Arabic, theÂ
word masâuliyah contains within it the verb suâila, which literallyÂ
means to require a response. In all three languages, we find a unifiedÂ
stance which states that responsibility is linked to responding orÂ
answering an external other. How may we respond or answer theÂ
contemporary demand for a responsibility to another or a differentÂ
worldview? How may we take responsibility or act differently asÂ
cultural producers and/or cultural consumers? Participants will includeÂ
the artists of the project LIMINAL SPACES/ grenzraeume as well asÂ
international guests.Â

DAY 1 (Saturday, 28 October 2006)Â

Forum 1:ÂÂReflections on the LIMINAL SPACES projectÂ
Moderator: Francis McKeeÂ

11.00 am Short presentations by artists participating in the LIMINALÂ
SPACES projectÂ

13:30 pm Lunch Break (for invited participants only)Â

15.00 pm Project presentation by the curators: Reem Fadda, PhilippÂ
Misselwitz, Eyal Danon and Galit Eilat.Â

16.00 pm Open sessionÂ
17.00 pm Coffee Break

17.30 pmÂÂÂPanel discussion - Cultural Territories: Wolfgang Knapp,Â
SalwaÂÂMikdadi, Nina MÃntmann, Erzen Shkololli, HitoÂ
SteyerlÂ

18:30 pmÂÂConclusionÂ

19:00 pm Joint dinner (for invited participants only) followed byÂ
partyÂ

*****Â
DAY 2Â(Sunday, 29 October 2006)Â

Forum 2:ÂÂCrisis and Potentials of InstitutionsÂ
(The Middle East, Near East and Europe)Â
Moderator: Francis McKeeÂ

11.00 am Nina MÃntmann: Art and its Institutions â Current Conflict,Â
Critique and CollaborationsÂ

11.30 am Case study 1: Jumana Abboud: Al Mamal Foundation, EastÂ
Jerusalem. The establishment of The Museum ofÂ
Contemporary Art â Palestine (CAMP)Â

12.00 am Case study 2: Eyal Danon: Jaffa â An Autobiography of aÂ
City. Untold stories of different national, ethnic, religiousÂ
and gender groups within IsraelÂ

12.30 amÂÂÂCase study 3: Boris Buden: EIPCP â European Institute forÂ
Progressive Cultural PoliciesÂ

13.00 pmÂÂÂCase study 4: Salwa Mikdadi: Institutionalization of ArtÂ
Practice under Occupation/Palestinian Artists WorkingÂ
Under Siege (West Bank, East Jerusalem and Gaza)Â

13.30 pm Case study 5: Erzen Shkololli: Exit Institute forÂ
Contemporary Art in Peja, Kosovo â the dramaticÂ
transformation of the region, connected in particular withÂ
the disintegration of the local totalitarian regimes duringÂ
the 1990sÂ

14:00 pm ÂÂLunch Break (for invited participants only)Â

15.30 pm Open sessionÂ

16.30 pm Conclusion

Partners:Â
LIMINAL SPACES/ grenzraeume has been jointly organized by theÂ
Palestinian Association of Contemporary Art (PACA), Digital Art Lab,Â
Holon and the University of the Arts, Berlin.Â
The Palestinian Association for Contemporary Arts - PACAÂ
Reem Fadda, DirectorÂ
Aref Al-Aref HouseÂ
Behind Arab Bank Al-BirehÂ
Al-Nahdah StreetÂ
Ramallah, PalestineÂ
T: +972 2 2951849Â
F: +972 2 2967601Â
E: paca@pal-paca.org/ reemfadda@gmail.comÂ

The Israeli Centre for Digital Art HolonÂ
Galit Eilat, DirectorÂ
Digital Art LabÂ
16 Yirmiyahu stÂ
Holon 58373Â
IsraelÂ
T +972 3 5568792Â
F +972 3 5580003Â
E galit@digitalartlab.org.ilÂ
Web www.digitalartlab.org.ilÂ

UniversitÃt der KÃnste BerlinÂ
Philipp Misselwitz (Lehrstuhl Prof. Peter Bayerer) and Wolfgang KnappÂ
(InterdisziplinÃres Projekt-Forum der UniversitÃt der KÃnste Berlin)Â
HardenbergstraÃe 33Â
10623 BerlinÂ
T +49 177 4107168Â
E misselwitz@studio-uc.netÂ

The exhibition and conference is made possible by:Â
Kulturstiftung des BundesÂ
Robert Bosch StiftungÂ
European Cultural FoundationÂ
Heinrich BÃll Stiftung RamallahÂ