Jeremy Hunsinger on Thu, 3 Jan 2008 19:41:55 +0100 (CET)

<nettime-ann> Call for Papers: Internet Research 9.0 (AoIR 2008 conference)

.
apologies for xposting -jh

Please distribute to colleagues and relevant lists!

Lisbeth Klastrup Conference Chair IT University of Copenhagen

Brian Loader
Program Chair
University of York

************************************************************************ CALL FOR PAPERS

INTERNET RESEARCH 9.0: RETHINKING COMMUNITY, RETHINKING PLACE
International and Interdisciplinary Conference of the Association of
Internet Researchers (AoIR)
Copenhagen, Denmark

Workshops / Doctoral Colloquium: October 15th, 2008

AoIR. conference: October 16–18th, 2007

Deadline for paper submissions: February 8th, 2007

RETHINKING COMMUNITY, RETHINKING PLACE
In the past few years, new forms of net-based communities have emerged,
distributed on various websites and services, and making use of several
media platforms and genres to stay connected. Now, as mobile and
location-based technologies are reintroducing "place" as an important aspect
in the formation of communal and social activities, it is time to consider
and rethink the concept of online or virtual communities. Not forgetting the
lessons we have learned from studying the early virtual communities, how do
we describe, analyse, theorise and design the communities and social
formations of the early 21st century? How do we address the blurring of
boundaries between places and communities on- and offline?

We call for papers, panel proposals, and presentations from any discipline,
methodology, and community, and from conjunctions of multiple disciplines,
methodologies and academic communities that address the conference themes.

Sessions at the conference will be established that specifically address the
conference themes, and we welcome innovative, exciting, and unexpected takes
on those themes. We also welcome submissions on topics that address social,
cultural, political, economic, and/or aesthetic aspects of the Internet
beyond the conference themes. In all cases, we welcome disciplinary and
interdisciplinary submissions as well as international collaborations from
both AoIR and non-AoIR members.

SUBMISSIONS
We seek proposals for several different kinds of contributions. We welcome
proposals for traditional academic conference papers, but we also encourage
proposals for creative or aesthetic presentations that are distinct from a
traditional written ‘paper.’

We also welcome proposals for ROUNDTABLE SESSIONS that will focus on
discussion and interaction among conference delegates, as well as organized
PANEL PROPOSALS that present a coherent group of papers on a single theme.

SUBMISSION REQUIREMENTS
All papers and presentations in this session will be reviewed in the normal
manner. Detailed information about review and submission will be available
through the conference submission website: http:// conferences.aoir.org in
early January 2008.

Format
- PAPERS (individual or multi-author) - submit abstract of 600-800 words

- CREATIVE OR AESTHETIC PRESENTATIONS - submit abstract of 500-750 words

- PANEL PROPOSALS - submit a 600-800 word description of the panel theme,
plus 250-500 word abstract for each paper or presentation

- ROUNDTABLE PROPOSALS - submit a statement indicating the nature of the
roundtable discussion and interaction

Papers, presentations and panels will be selected from the submitted
proposals on the basis of multiple blind peer review, coordinated and
overseen by the Program Chair. Each individual is invited to submit a
proposal for 1 paper or 1 presentation. A person may also propose a panel
session, which may include a second paper that they are presenting. An
individual may also submit a roundtable proposal. You may be listed as
co-author on additional papers as long as you are not presenting them.

PUBLICATION OF PAPERS
Several publishing opportunities are expected to be available through
journals, including a special issue of "Information, Communication &
Society", based on peer-review of full papers. The website will contain more
details.

GRADUATE STUDENTS
Graduate students are strongly encouraged to submit proposals. Any student
paper is eligible for consideration for the AoIR graduate student award.
Students wishing to be a candidate for the Student Award must send a final
paper by June 30, 2007.

Ph.D. students will also want to consider participating in the Doctoral
Colloquium:
Following the very successful examples of previous Doctoral Colloquia, we
will again aim to offer an all-day Doctoral Colloquium on October 15th 2008
(Wednesday) for Ph.D. students who wish to present their current work for
critical evaluation by their peers and senior scholars. Submission and
registration details will be available on the conference website
http://conferences.aoir.org as soon as possible.

PRE-CONFERENCE WORKSHOPS
Prior to the conference, there will be a limited number of pre- conference
workshops which will provide participants with in-depth, hands-on and/or
creative opportunities. We invite proposals for these pre-conference
workshops. Local presenters are encouraged to propose workshops that will
invite visiting researchers into their labs or studios or locales. Proposals
should be no more than 1000 words, and should clearly outline the purpose,
methodology, structure, costs, equipment and minimal attendance required, as
well as explaining its relevance to the conference as a whole. Proposals
will be accepted if they demonstrate that the workshop will add
significantly to the overall program in terms of thematic depth, hands on
experience, or local opportunities for scholarly or artistic connections.
These proposals and all inquiries regarding pre-conference proposals should
be submitted as soon as possible to both the Conference Chair and Program
Chair and no later than March 31, 2007.

DEADLINES Submission site available: January 10, 2008 Proposal submission deadline: February 8, 2008 Presenter notification: March 31, 2008 Final workshop submission deadline: March 31, 2008 Submission for student award competition: June 30, 2008 Submission for conference archive: July 31, 2008

CONTACT INFORMATION
Program Chair: Dr. Brian Loader, University of York, UK <bl506@york.ac.uk >
Conference Chair: Dr. Lisbeth Klastrup, IT University of Copenhagen, Denmark
<ir9conf@itu.dk>
President of AoIR: Dr. Charles Ess, Drury University <cmess@drury.edu>
Association Website: http://www.aoir.org
Conference Website: http://conferences.aoir.org

http://www.aoir.org/

Jeremy Hunsinger
Information Ethics Fellow, Center for Information Policy Research, School of Information Studies, University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee (www.cipr.uwm.edu )

Words are things; and a small drop of ink, falling like dew upon a thought, produces that which makes thousands, perhaps millions, think. --Byron