Turbulence on Fri, 11 Jan 2008 23:43:46 +0100 (CET)

<nettime-ann> Networked_Music_Review Commission: "You're Not My Father" by Paul Slocum

.
January 11, 2008
Networked_Music_Review Commission: "You're Not My Father" by Paul Slocum
http://turbulence.org/works/notmyfather/
Needs Quicktime Plugin

"You're Not My Father" is composed of a sequence of recreations of a 10
second scene from the television show "Full House," overlaid with sound
loops from the scene's original music. The crews who re-shot the scene were
recruited through Internet message boards and Craigslist; each was paid
$150. Instructions for shooting the scene and delivering the footage were
issued to the crews. To-date, the project includes participants from Austin,
Cincinnati, Chicago, Dallas, Denton, London, and San Francisco. You can read
more about the process here: http://tinyurl.com/2qd3nw

Although the commission money has been exhausted, Slocum is still accepting
submissions. If you are interested in participating, read the PDF document
on the website. Your footage will be added to the video sequence online and
exhibited in future gallery exhibitions.

"You're Not My Father" is included in Slocum's solo show "More House" which
opens tonight at Dunn and Brown Contemporary, 5020 Tracy Street, Dallas,
Texas.

"You're Not My Father" is a 2007 commission of New Radio and Performing
Arts, Inc. for Networked_Music_Review. It was made possible with funding
from the New York State Music Fund, established by the New York State
Attorney General at Rockefeller Philanthropy Advisors.

BIOGRAPHY

Paul Slocum is a musician and new media artist living in Dallas. Computers
and computer culture are often the medium and subject of his work. Some of
his projects are "The Dot Matrix Synth", an 80's dot matrix printer with
re-programmed firmware to transform it into a musical instrument, "The
Century Callback Project", a phone number that calls you back 8 times in a
century, and "The Time-Lapse Homepage", a video made with HTML. He is also
half of the "Tree Wave" project that creates music and video with obsolete
assembly-language-programmed computer and video game gear. Paul is the
director and co-founder of "And/Or Gallery" in Dallas, a gallery that
specializes in new media artwork. Some of Paul's performances and
exhibitions include Transitio MX in Mexico City, The New Museum of
Contemporary Art, Deitch Projects, and Eyebeam in New York, Le Confort
Moderne in France, README 2005 in Denmark, and The Liverpool Biennial.

For more Networked_Music_Review Commissions please visit
http://turbulence.org/networked_music_review/tags/nmr_commission

Jo-Anne Green, Co-Director
New Radio and Performing Arts, Inc.: http://new-radio.org
New York: 917.548.7780 . Boston: 617.522.3856
Turbulence: http://turbulence.org
Networked_Performance Blog: http://turbulence.org/blog
Networked_Music_Review: http://turbulence.org/networked_music_review
Upgrade! Boston: http://turbulence.org/upgrade