Doug Schuler on Thu, 13 Nov 2008 17:56:36 +0100 (CET)

<nettime-ann> "Liberating Voices: A Pattern Language for Communication Revolution" is Now Available!

.
Liberating Voices: A Pattern Language for Communication Revolution Is
Now Available!
By Doug Schuler

I'm writing to you as a friend or colleague or, in some cases, as a
person whom I've never met but whose work I admire. In any case I'm
hopeful that you'll find this work compelling. If you do, please read
this announcement and send it along to friends and colleagues who
might also be interested. (Please also take a look at the attachments,
the endorsements on the back cover of the book, are worth a look.)

After eight years of work, the book on our information and
communication pattern language project, Liberating Voices: A Pattern
Language for Communication Revolution, is finally available.
Liberating Voices brings together a multitude of ideas and suggestions
from a variety of perspectives including activism and social change,
education, community informatics, governance, media, development,
information science, economics, journalism, arts and culture. It can
be used by researchers, by practitioners in a variety of fields
including teachers in the classroom, by activists, and by citizens and
community members throughout the world.

This book is particularly relevant at this time in history. It is a
call for social change based on a peaceful revolution in grassroots
information and communication. Our manifesto takes the form of a
pattern language containing 136 patterns. Each pattern is a template
for research as well as social critique and action. And each pattern
is linked to other patterns to form a single coherent whole. We
(myself and 85 co-authors) have tried to show that the struggle for
liberatory information and communication systems is absolutely
critical to a just and sustainable future.

Inspired by the vision and framework outlined in Christopher
Alexander's classic 1977 book, A Pattern Language, the book presents a
pattern language containing 136 patterns designed to meet these
challenges. We are proposing a new model of social change that
integrates theory and practice by showing how diverse information and
communication based approaches can be used to address local as well as
global problems.

The pattern language was developed collaboratively with nearly 100 co-
authors using an online pattern language management system. The
patterns from the book are all online as are approximately 300 other
patterns in work. We are treating the publishing of the book as an
important milestone rather than the culmination of the project. While
we are very enthusiastic about what we've produced so far we realize
that people and organizations who use the patterns will often need to
adapt the pattern language to their specific needs which may even
include developing new patterns. For this reason and others we are
revamping our web site to encourage collaborative pattern language
construction and allow people to readily share ideas and experiences
with others.

We worked to create an intriguing and informative catalog of
intellectual, social, and technological innovations, a practical
manual for citizen activism, and a compelling manifesto for creating a
more intelligent, sustainable, and equitable world. Now is the time to
unleash our collective creativity—social as well as technological—and
develop the communication systems that promote community and civic
innovation and engagement to address serious challenges like climate
change and environmental degradation.

If this sounds interesting I encourage to take a look at the book.
Also, please don't hesitate to get in touch with me for any reason.
And thanks in advance for sending this note to friends and colleagues!

Doug Schuler

Liberating Voices: A Pattern Language for Communication Revolution can
be ordered online at:
     http://mitpress.mit.edu/catalog/item/default.asp?ttype=2&tid=11601
The Public Sphere Project
     http://www.publicsphereproject.org/
The Liberating Voices pattern language project
     http://www.publicsphereproject.org/patterns/
Online portal to the patterns in the book
    http://www.publicsphereproject.org/patterns/pattern-table-of-contents.php