Press on Tue, 9 Dec 2008 01:54:23 +0100 (CET)

<nettime-ann> Exit Art presents THE LABYRINTH WALL, open to the public next week

.
Title: The Labyrinth Wall

(Mailing list information, including unsubscription instructions, is located at the end of this message.)

Logo

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
December 2008

Press Contact: Lauren Rosati
212.966.7745 ex. 15 / lauren@exitart.org

Exit Art announces
The Labyrinth Wall: From Mythology to Reality
51 artists respond to the complicated and confusing crises in America
The process of artists working on their walls will be open to the public

Labyrinth Wall

The Labyrinth Wall: From Mythology to Reality
December 14, 2008 � February 7, 2009

Opening Sunday December 14, 3-9pm

The process of artists working on their walls will be open to the public
Tuesday December 9 to Saturday December 13, 12pm � 10pm

NEW YORK -- The Labyrinth Wall: From Mythology to Reality is an exhibition in which 51 artists will respond to the turbulent times in which we live, the complex � and often confusing � financial, military, and cultural crises in the United States of America. Responding to the sagging economy, the continued American presence in Iraq, and the crisis facing ordinary people who are losing jobs and homes, we at Exit Art, as a cultural space, felt the urgent need to present an exhibition that explores these aspects of our country and our cultures. The Labyrinth Wall is an immediate reaction to these issues � as our exhibition schedule was shifted to accommodate this show � and uses the labyrinth as a metaphor for the difficult and tangled problems that the Americas face.

Exit Art will be re-configured into a maze constructed of fifty-one, 8 x 8 foot panels. Each artist will be given one wall on which to respond to the metaphor of the labyrinth and offer instructions on how to escape the issues we are confronted with. The labyrinth serves as a metaphor for the vexing problems that America, under a hopeful new presidential administration, must now navigate.

In Greek mythology, the labyrinth was an elaborate structure designed to hold the Minotaur, a creature that was half-man, half-bull. Designed for King Minos of Crete by Daedalus, the labyrinth was so serpentine and difficult to negotiate that Daedalus himself could barely find his way out. Today, America seems to have found itself at the center of a metaphorical labyrinth. We�ve become so deeply wound into an economic and political maze that our situation seems impossible to escape.

This exhibition also calls attention to the wall as a representation of a political barrier, used for either fortification or for segregation (such as the Berlin Wall, Great Wall of China or the many walls we are building on our Mexican border), or as a form of communication (such as the activities of Chinese Democracy activists on what became known as the �Democracy Wall�).

Responding to these metaphors in 2-dimensional media � such as painting, collage, photography, drawing, and stencil � the artists in this exhibition attempt to navigate the complicated issues threatening the way of life in the Americas.

The process of artists creating the walls of the Labyrinth will be open to the public from Tuesday, December 9 to Saturday, December 13, 12pm � 10pm.

Curated by Jeanette Ingberman and Papo Colo. Concept/Design by Papo Colo.

ARTISTS
Josh Abram Howard; John Ahearn; Madeleine Arthurs and P.S. 274, Brooklyn; Francisca Benitez; Liz Brown; Luis Camnitzer; Russell Christian; Tyler Coburn; Papo Colo; Ernest Concepcion; Anton van Dalen; Robert Dandarov; Iliana Emilia Garcia; Mike Estabrook; Teo Freytes; John Fekner and Don Leicht; Scherezade Garcia; Rico Gatson; Guerra de la Paz; Peter Hildebrand; Vandana Jain and Doris Caciolo; Charles Juhasz-Alvarado; Jayson Keeling; Fawad Khan; Saeri Kiritani; Matthew Kirk; Christopher Knowles; Charles Koegel; Peter Kuper; Nora Ligorano and Marshall Reese; Joan Linder; Miguel Luciano; Yucef Merhi; Bryan Mesenbourg; Marcus Morales; Irvin Morazan; Rune Olsen; Kevin Pyle; Beau Rhee; Rudy Royval; David Sandlin; Jacolby Satterwhite; Seher Shah; Dan Tague; Seth Tobocman; Lucretia Knapp and Lynne Yamamoto; Heeseop Yoon; Daniel Zeller

MANIFESTO
Chaos is the payback�for arrogance.
Glory is never there�because it is in other places.
So where are we going, with this disappearing wonder,
condescending into a moment of confusion?
What is this state that invented us,
with the collective solitude of patriotism?
What are nations if not walls that become a labyrinth?
-- Papo Colo, 2008

The world economy is in trouble and we have to resolve this
situation from the Americas point of view, collectively and soon.
Nations are dying, continents will be unified, the bankers culture
will refine its repression and the marginal will grow into an
explosion. And there we are with more time to worry about vanity,
investment and decoration.
-- Juana Gallo, 2008, �Loose Thoughts�

ABOUT EXIT ART
Exit Art is an independent vision of contemporary culture. We are prepared to react immediately to important issues that affect our lives. We do experimental, historical and unique presentations of aesthetic, social, political and environmental issues. We absorb cultural differences that become prototype exhibitions. We are a center for multiple disciplines. Exit Art is a 25 year old cultural center in New York City founded by Directors Jeanette Ingberman and Papo Colo, that has grown from a pioneering alternative art space, into a model artistic center for the 21st century committed to supporting artists whose quality of work reflects the transformations of our culture. Exit Art is internationally recognized for its unmatched spirit of inventiveness and consistent ability to anticipate the newest trends in the culture. With a substantial reputation for curatorial innovation and depth of programming in diverse media, Exit Art is always changing.

EXHIBITION SUPPORT
This exhibition is supported with public funds from the New York State Council on the Arts, a state agency. General exhibition support from Bloomberg LP, Carnegie Corporation, New York City Department of Cultural Affairs, the Pollock-Krasner Foundation, Starry Night Fund at The Tides Foundation, Exit Art�s Board of Directors and our members.

GENERAL INFORMATION
Exit Art is located at 475 Tenth Avenue, corner of 36th Street. Hours at Exit Art are Tuesday � Thursday, 10am � 6pm; Friday, 10am � 8pm; and Saturday, noon � 8pm. Closed Sunday and Monday. There is a suggested donation of $5.

For more information please call 212-966-7745 or visit www.exitart.org.

#  #  #

The following information is a reminder of your current mailing list subscription:

You are subscribed to the following list:

Press

using the following email:

nettime-ann@nettime.org

You may automatically unsubscribe from this list at any time by visiting the following URL:

http://listserve.exitculture.org/cgi-bin/dada/mail.cgi/u/press/

If the above URL is inoperable, make sure that you have copied the entire address. Some mail readers will wrap a long URL and thus break this automatic unsubscribe mechanism.

You may also change your subscription by visiting this list's main screen:

http://listserve.exitculture.org/cgi-bin/dada/mail.cgi/list/press

If you're still having trouble, please contact the list owner at:

jeanette@exitart.org

The following physical address is associated with this mailing list:

-- FILL ME IN --

Mailing List Powered by Dada Mail