Turbulence on Fri, 27 Mar 2009 18:27:55 +0100 (CET)

<nettime-ann> Floating Points 6: Games of Culture | Art of Games

.
Floating Points 6: Games of Culture | Art of Games
http://institute.emerson.edu/floatingpoints/2009/

A Film Screening, Symposium and Workshops with Asi Burak, Anita Fontaine,
Jesper Juul, Friedrich Kirschner, Marcin Ramocki, Jason Rohrer, Adriana de
Souza Silva, Mushon Zer-Aviv

DATE: March 20-21, 2009
VENUE: Emerson College, Boston + streamed live on the web and in Second Life
FREE and OPEN to the public. Registration details on the website

Video games extend beyond the gaming console into nearly every aspect of
contemporary life. They are fun. They drive innovation, consumer engagement
and employee productivity. Is our culture turning everything into a game?

Video Games have had a greater impact on narrative form than any medium
since film. They are altering our experience of both virtual and physical
space. Gamespace is everywhere and nowhere (McKenzie Wark, "Gamer Theory").
In "Video Game Spaces: Image, Play, and Structure in 3D Worlds", Michael
Nitsche introduces five analytical layers - rule-based space, mediated
space, fictional space, play space, and social space. How do artists and
game designers use these spaces in their creative practice? How does
structured play impact our engagement with other people, both online and in
urban space? What are the political and cultural implications of gaming
practices?

Please join us for a lively discussion.

Co-Organized and Co-Presented by Emerson College and Turbulence.org

Jo-Anne Green, Co-Director
New Radio and Performing Arts, Inc.: http://new-radio.org
New York: 917.548.7780 . Boston: 617.522.3856
Turbulence: http://turbulence.org
Networked_Performance Blog: http://turbulence.org/blog
Networked_Music_Review: http://turbulence.org/networked_music_review
Upgrade! Boston: http://turbulence.org/upgrade