amanda mcdonald crowley on Wed, 8 Apr 2009 04:56:38 +0200 (CEST)

<nettime-ann> Eyebeam Residency Call

.
Eyebeam Residencies
Summer / Fall 2009

You've got big ideas. You could use a little time and money, not to mention support and inspiration, to create a visionary project. Apply now for Eyebeam's Summer/Fall 2009 Residency cycle. Residents are granted a $5,000 stipend and 24/7 access to Eyebeam's state of the art digital design and fabrication studios at their Chelsea facility.

About the Residency

Eyebeam residencies support the creative research, production and presentation of initiatives querying art, technology and culture. The residency is a period of concentration and immersion in artistic investigation, daring research or production of visionary, experimental applications and projects. Past initiatives have ranged from live animation, sound and physical computing works to technical prototypes, installations and tactical media events. Check out what our current and past residents have been doing here:  http://eyebeam.org/people-residents/residents

The ideal resident will both contribute to and benefit from the collective environment at Eyebeam, and will embrace the spirit of openness shared across the organization: open source, open content and open distribution.

To promote collaboration and the sharing of diverse skill sets, Eyebeam has established and continues to encourage the formation of research groups that bring together creative practitioners working at Eyebeam as well as expert external participants.

New research often leads to public outcomes including seminars, workshops and exhibition. Research groups currently active at Eyebeam include:

Sustainability
Urban Research
Middle Eastern Research
Open Cultures

Artists and creative technologists interested in these research areas are particularly encouraged to apply for 2009 residencies, but we are also open to accepting ideas for emerging areas of research.

Eyebeam is also seeking proposals from artists whose practices:
a) actively engage different community groups, especially youth;
b) focus on open source/culture ideologies, including intellectual property, licensing issues and law; and/or
c) investigate sustainable models of food production and consumption and the impact of those models on society.

Residents are expected to participate in public events including workshops, demonstrations of research in progress, panel discussions, and online releases, in addition to regularly scheduled open studio events.

The program term is from the beginning of August to the end of January. Residents will be selected from an open call, based on the quality of the work or research being proposed, the availability of the necessary tools and skills to support the work, and in consideration of the overarching research themes and activities of the organization.

Eyebeam is committed to building a diverse creative environment. We recognize diversity as encompassing personal style, age, race, gender, ethnicity, sexual orientation, gender identity, language, physical ability, religion, family, citizenship status, socioeconomic circumstances, education and life experiences. We consequently encourage applications from the broadest possible range of artists and creative technologists to all of our programs.

To Apply

Applications are accepted via our online application system. We will be hosting a “How To Apply” Forum, in New York City, on April 16 at 7 PM featuring past Eyebeam Resident and recent Residency curatorial panelist Robert Ransick (Bennington College, Vermont) and current senior fellow Steve Lambert (Parsons/The New School and Hunter College).

Many of the most frequently asked questions are answered online. Be sure to visit our FAQ for applicants and Equipment Inventory List before you apply. If you have any questions, contact residencyinfo AT eyebeam DOT org.

Equipment Inventory List:

FAQ for applicants:

Go ahead, apply at:

Requirements

Applications received after the deadline of May 15, 2009, will not be accepted. All applications and work samples must be submitted through the online form. No exceptions will be made. Incomplete applications will not be considered.

Complete applications must include the following information:

• Contact information;
• Resume or CV (rtf or pdf doc);
• Work samples in the form of URLs or uploaded media;
• Answers to all application questions.

Please be advised that Eyebeam's online application system allows you to log into your user account to update your application until the final deadline. However, you must enter information into all required fields in order to save your application.

--
EYEBEAM
540 W. 21st Street

Founded in 1997, Eyebeam is an art and technology center that provides a fertile context and state-of-the-art tools for digital experimentation. It is a lively incubator of creativity and thought, where artists and technologists actively engage with the larger culture, addressing the issues and concerns of our time. Eyebeam challenges convention, celebrates the hack, educates the next generation, encourages collaboration, freely offers its output to the community, and invites the public to share in a spirit of openness: open source, open content and open distribution.