Nanette Wylde on Sun, 3 Jan 2010 08:00:31 +0100 (CET)

<nettime-ann> launch of chico.art.net v5

.
The Digital Media/Electronic Arts Program at California State University Chico is pleased to announce the launch of chico.art.net v5!

This edition of chico.art.net focuses on engagement with finding connections between people and their individual, historical and cultural concepts while utilizing contemporary technologies.

chico.art.net is an international juried exhibition which demonstrates an aspect of the diversity and pulse of this contemporary art form. Experience chico.art.net at http:// www.csuchico.edu/art/net

The featured works are:

• 88 Constellations for Wittgenstein (to be played with the Left Hand) by David Clark “88 Constellations for Wittgenstein (to be played with the Left Hand)” correlates historical concepts and characters which interconnect with the questions that Ludwig Wittgenstein pondered in his career as a philosopher: logic, language, the nature of thinking, and the limits of knowledge--in relation to our contemporary digital world.

• Exile Paranoia by Nassrin Nasser
“Exile Paranoia” is a visual expression of the artist's inner feelings surrounding her experience of immigration from Iran into Western culture. Shot in Tehran and London, the film is a powerful example of mood and feeling illustrated through surrealism and metaphor.

• i made this. you play this. we are enemies. by Jason Nelson
"i made this. you play this. we are enemies." is an art game and interactive digital poem built on screen shots from influential community-based websites and portals. Using messy hand drawn elements, strange texts, sounds, and multimedia layering this project invites users to play and exist outside and over the controlling constraints of the world we browse.

• Landscape Memory #1 by Arthur Tuoto
With a conceptual backdrop dealing with memory and the everyday, “Landscape Memory #1” marries sound and visual abstraction. This two minute film was shot entirely on mobile phone.

• The Interactive Book of Changes -- I Ching by Jing Zhou
“The Interactive Book of Changes -- I Ching” translates an ordered universe into a system of parallel symbols--sixty-four hexagrams, which express various human situations. From the Chinese perspective, all phenomenal existence is conditioned by two polarities--Yin and Yang. These represent the dynamic of change. This interactive version of the I Ching brings ancient ideas into a modern venue, rejuvenating an old culture as well as transforming and enriching future ones.

Visit chico.art.net at http://www.csuchico.edu/art/net